[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript on HP laserjet ?

rohit@hpindda.HP.COM (Rohit Aggarwal) (05/09/88)

Hello

     Does anyone know if it is possible to print postscript
      documents on a HP laserJet Printer?

    Is there hardware/software that will allow one to connect
    a HP laser Jet to a MAC?

					Thanks in Advance

| I see said the blind man and he picked up his hammer and SAW.         |
Rohit Aggarwal			(UUCP    :..!{ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!rohit )
Hewlett Packard (TND)           (DOMAIN  :  rohit%hpda@HPLABS.HP.COM    )
Cupertino, CA, 95014		(Pac Bell:  408 447-3042                )
USA                                                                     )

kathyb@hpgrla.HP.COM (Kathy Bata) (05/11/88)

(From the JetScript Accessory Kit Data Sheet)

88141A JetScript Accessory Kit

Adobe PostScript(r) for the HP LaserJet Series II printer
	- Adobe PostScript language with 35 typefaces
	- Does not affect PCL(TM) printer capabilities
	- Customer installable (uses optional I/O slot)
	- Faster than typical PostScript printers

The HP LaserJet Series II printer provides quick, high-resolution
printed output for practically any application, including desktop
publishing.  With its resident PCL printer language, the LaserJet
Series II printer is compatible with hundreds of the most popular
software products.  By installing a QMS JetScript(TM) accessory kit,
you extend your LaserJet Series II printer's capabilities with
Adobe PostScript, another industry-recognized printer language.

Kathy Bata
Hewlett-Packard (GHC)	       (UUCP   : hplabs!hpfcla!hpgrla!kathyb)
Greeley, Colorado   80634      (DOMAIN : kathyb%hpgrla@HPLABS.HP.COM)
USA			       (Mt Bell: 303 350-4000               )

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (05/16/88)

In article <9320004@hpgrla.HP.COM>, kathyb@hpgrla.HP.COM (Kathy Bata) writes:

> Adobe PostScript(r) for the HP LaserJet Series II printer
> 	- Adobe PostScript language with 35 typefaces
> 	- Does not affect PCL(TM) printer capabilities
> 	- Customer installable (uses optional I/O slot)
> 	- Faster than typical PostScript printers

Our local HP and QMS dealers says I must use it with an IBM-clone
because there's another card in the kit that fits in a PC slot
anduses a separate cable to connect to the printer.

BTW, they don't have the product yet; they just read this from the
info they got.

In article <230@pvab.UUCP> robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>In article <9320004@hpgrla.HP.COM>, kathyb@hpgrla.HP.COM (Kathy Bata) writes:
>
>> Adobe PostScript(r) for the HP LaserJet Series II printer
>> 	- Adobe PostScript language with 35 typefaces
>> 	- Does not affect PCL(TM) printer capabilities
>> 	- Customer installable (uses optional I/O slot)
>> 	- Faster than typical PostScript printers
>
>Our local HP and QMS dealers says I must use it with an IBM-clone
>because there's another card in the kit that fits in a PC slot
>anduses a separate cable to connect to the printer.
>
>BTW, they don't have the product yet; they just read this from the
>info they got.

IS this for a Laser Jet 2 ?

QMS also makes a controller for the LJ that replaces the lame HP
one, you just remove the HP contoller (the top 1/4 of the printer)
and replace it with this nice QMS job.

Viola. Real printer.

--
               And other people run red lights, too.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

mark@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mark Rowe) (05/17/88)

>Our local HP and QMS dealers says I must use it with an IBM-clone
                                              ^^ (QMS JetScript)
>because there's another card in the kit that fits in a PC slot
>anduses a separate cable to connect to the printer.

The major component of JetScript (TM) is an IBM PC compatable board.  If you
do not intend to connect to an IBM clone then an alternative is the PS-Jet+
product also from QMS.  This product consists primarily of a replacement
top-cover and controller board for a HP LaserJet or LaserJet Plus (not
series II) and converts the printer into a PostScript printer with several
emulation modes as well (including LaserJet series II).  I have installed
this product and it works very well; however, this is a $2000+ upgrade,
which is about what you would expect for 2 megabytes of RAM, 35 fonts, and
all of the Adobe royalties.

Mark Rowe
mark@hp-pcd

kathyb@hpgrla.HP.COM (Kathy Bata) (05/18/88)

>/ hpgrla:comp.lang.postscript / robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) / 12:54 pm  May 15, 1988 /
> Our local HP and QMS dealers says I must use it with an IBM-clone
> because there's another card in the kit that fits in a PC slot
> anduses a separate cable to connect to the printer.

Requirements:
	HP LaserJet Series II printer
	Personal Computer (HP Vectra; IBM-XT, IBM-AT, and other IBM-compatibles;
			   IBM PX/2 Model 30)

The JetScript accessory kit includes a controller (for inside the PC), an adapter
(for the printer optional I/O slot), a printer cable, software and a user's manual

Kathy Bata				(UUCP   : hplabs!hpfcla!hpgrla!kathyb)
Hewlett-Packard (GHC)			(DOMAIN : kathyb%hpgrla@HPLABS.HP.COM)
Greeley, Colorado  80634		(Mt Bell: 303 350-4000               )
USA

jca@homxc.UUCP (J.ANTROSIGLIO) (05/18/88)

In article <4051@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> QMS also makes a controller for the LJ that replaces the lame HP
> one, you just remove the HP contoller (the top 1/4 of the printer)
> and replace it with this nice QMS job.
>
> Viola. Real printer.

Can I replace the controller in my Laser Jet 2 with one of these QMS
controllers and end up with a real PostScript printer or do I still need
a PC type system to control it?  It would be really nice to have a stand-
alone printer that doesn't need the PC.  Does anyone know how much one
of these controllers cost?

Thanks,

--
	John C. Antrosiglio
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

rohit@hpindda.HP.COM (Rohit Aggarwal) (05/18/88)

Hello

	Thanks for all your responses.

	I finally called the HP Tech center (208-323-2551)
	and they told me that all I need is a LASERSTART software
	and a cable.  This will allow me to connect the HP Laser Jet II
	to a Apple Mac.

	LASERSTART: is a software package written by SoftStyle
		    (808-396-6368)
		    HP Part No: 35178M (Computer User Catalog)
		    HP Part No: 92219M (Cable)

		    HP Part No: 35179M (both cable and laserstart)

	Also the tech center told me to buy extra 1meg of memory.
	With the default memory (512K) on can only print 100 dots/inch.

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (05/20/88)

In article <2175@homxc.UUCP> jca@homxc.UUCP (J.ANTROSIGLIO) writes:
|>In article <4051@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
|>> QMS also makes a controller for the LJ that replaces the lame HP
|>> one, you just remove the HP contoller (the top 1/4 of the printer)
|>> and replace it with this nice QMS job.
|>>
|>> Viola. Real printer.
|>>
|>Can I replace the controller in my Laser Jet 2 with one of these QMS
|>controllers and end up with a real PostScript printer or do I still need
|>a PC type system to control it?  It would be really nice to have a stand-
|>alone printer that doesn't need the PC.  Does anyone know how much one
|>of these controllers cost?
|>Thanks,
|>	John C. Antrosiglio

I don't think it is a controller replacement in the printer.    I think
it is a controller that plugs into the PC and then talks to the
direct video interface of the LJII.     I'm going to have to follow
up again on the order for mine, I haven't received it yet.     Also,
the company is called The Laser Connection.   Calling them QMS is OK too,
I guess, since TLC is owned by QMS.

--
Harry Burford - NCR E & M Wichita, Printer Engineering
PHONE:   316-636-8016

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (05/23/88)

In article <4051@gryphon.CTS.COM>, Richard Sexton writes:

> In article <230@pvab.UUCP>, Robert Claeson writes:
> >Our local HP and QMS dealers says I must use it with an IBM-clone
> >because there's another card in the kit that fits in a PC slot
> >anduses a separate cable to connect to the printer.
> >
> >BTW, they don't have the product yet; they just read this from the
> >info they got.

> IS this for a Laser Jet 2 ?

Yes.

> QMS also makes a controller for the LJ that replaces the lame HP
> one, you just remove the HP contoller (the top 1/4 of the printer)
> and replace it with this nice QMS job.

Never heard of that one. The one for the LJ II is to be installed in
the extra card slot on the printer's left side. But it really would
be nice if that one is the same as for the old LJ.

	Robert