[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript flowers

dkovar@bbn.com (David C. Kovar) (05/25/88)

Awhile back I posted to this group asking if anyone had some
PostScript flowers available. Not much of a reply to my question so I
gave up on it. Yesterday I picked up about 800 bitmaps to use as
backgrounds for my Sun running X, ran a few through a bitmap
converter, and, viola, I now have a PostScript rose if anyone would
like a copy of it. Just drop me a line and I'll mail it out to you.

-David Kovar
 DKovar@BBN.COM

relph@presto.ig.com (John M. Relph) (05/25/88)

In article <24996@bbn.COM> dkovar@hellcat.BBN.COM (David C. Kovar) writes:
> Yesterday I picked up about 800 bitmaps to use as
>backgrounds for my Sun running X, ran a few through a bitmap
>converter, and, viola, I now have a PostScript rose if anyone would
>like a copy of it. Just drop me a line and I'll mail it out to you.

This is the PostScript rose that was included with Adobe's Illustrator
product for the Macintosh, I believe.  I don't know if they have a
copyright on it or not, but I would check if I were going to use the
rose for anything for profit.
	-- John
----
John M. Relph
IntelliGenetics, Inc.
Internet:  Relph@Bionet-20.ARPA

dkovar@bbn.com (David C. Kovar) (05/26/88)

  The source listed for this rose is one Harold Poskanzer. I'm willing
to believe that it came from elsewhere, though. Anyhow, I'll mail it
out but you're not allowed to use it for profit. How'z'at?

-David

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (05/27/88)

The rose that everybody's talking about is a bitmap, and I would not
consider it to be true PostScript because of that.  (I seem to recall that
its resolution was pretty low to boot.) Unfortunately, I don't have
anything better for this guy, unless he wants to use the (very simple)
flower by Glenn Reid which was posted awhile back.  Again unfortunately, I
don't have a copy of this on hand, but I'm sure somebody else does..

                                                                 Phil Kos
                                                      Information Systems
...!uunet!pyrdc!osiris!phil                    The Johns Hopkins Hospital
                                                            Baltimore, MD

reid@decwrl.dec.com (Brian Reid) (05/27/88)

>					 Unfortunately, I don't have
> anything better for this guy, unless he wants to use the (very simple)
> flower by Glenn Reid which was posted awhile back.

If you people are going to read comp.lang.postscript you are going to have to
learn to tell the difference between Glenn Reid and Brian Reid.

Glenn Reid is an employee of Adobe. He is the manager of something or another
there. Manager of Developer Support, whatever that means. He is the author of
the PostScript Green Book. He lives in Zip code 94040.

Brian Reid is an employee of Digital. He is a member of the research staff at
Digital's Western Research Lab. He is the author of a bunch of very tense
PostScript hacks, but not any PostScript books.  He lives in Zip code 94306.

I posted the flower. That other guy, Glenn, posts useful stuff like tables of
font names and instructions for how to get things right on your printers.

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (05/27/88)

In the referenced message, dkovar@hellcat.BBN.COM (David C. Kovar) wrote:
}               Yesterday I picked up about 800 bitmaps to use as
}backgrounds for my Sun running X, ran a few through a bitmap
}converter, and, viola, I now have a PostScript rose if anyone would
}like a copy of it.

Apparently you are using the 32x32 rose2.  Don't you like the 382x469 one
better?  As I mentioned in the README, I extracted it from a NeWS demo;
which means it was originally in PostScript.  I'm sure if you grep around
in your nearest NeWS directory tree, you will find the source, and that
will be much more compact and convenient that the bitmap form.
---
Jef

              Jef Poskanzer   jef@lbl-rtsg.arpa   ...well!pokey
                   "No cash down! Up to 60 minutes to pay!"

dkovar@bbn.com (David C. Kovar) (05/27/88)

In article <1614@osiris.UUCP> phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) writes:

>The rose that everybody's talking about is a bitmap, and I would not
>consider it to be true PostScript because of that.  (I seem to recall that
>its resolution was pretty low to boot.) Unfortunately, I don't have
>anything better for this guy, unless he wants to use the (very simple)
>flower by Glenn Reid which was posted awhile back.  Again unfortunately, I
>don't have a copy of this on hand, but I'm sure somebody else does..
>
>                                                                 Phil Kos
>                                                      Information Systems
>...!uunet!pyrdc!osiris!phil                    The Johns Hopkins Hospital
>                                                            Baltimore, MD

  In my first posting I mentioned that a) it started life as a bitmap
and b) that I'd run it through a package that converted it to
PostScript. Yes, the PostScript it about five lines and the rest is
hex data. But, considering that it was the only sizable rose that I
could find, I let people know it existed. C'est la vie.

  So, while we're on the subject, what is "true PostScript"? A page
description language, yes? I want my page to look like a rose. I can
either figure out what all the curves, line weights, and the like
should be and draw a bunch of lines or I can digitize a picture of a
rose, dump the bitmap into a short PostScript program, and viola!

  If it works, use it.

-David Kovar
 DKovar@BBN.COM

dkovar@bbn.com (David C. Kovar) (05/27/88)

  No, it's the 382x469 rose. Really. I have no NeWS directory tree
available so I made do with what I had.

  Oh, Jef, PBM is quite nice to have around! Nice job!

-David Kovar
 DKovar@BBN.COM

john@jetson.UUCP (John Owens) (05/29/88)

In article <25125@bbn.COM>, dkovar@bbn.com (David C. Kovar) writes:
>   So, while we're on the subject, what is "true PostScript"? A page
> description language, yes? I want my page to look like a rose.

A rose by any other name . . . .

--
John Owens		SMART HOUSE Development Venture
john@jetson.UUCP	(old uucp) uunet!jetson!john

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (06/01/88)

So now I've been well and truly chastised for misstating myself on a
couple of things... I'd like to apologize publically to Brian Reid for
calling him Glenn (:-), and to everyone who reminded me that a
PostScript bitmap is as much "true PostScript" as a sequence of stroked
and filled paths.  I'll try not to do it again.

(While I'm here, thanks to those who replied to my request for loop
control... I tried to send mail, but...)