[comp.lang.postscript] SunOS 4.0 and Sun Transcript warning

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (06/10/88)

I just today heard (from Sam Wong@Sun (sp?)) that the current version of
TransScript (2.0) that Sun supports will not run when you upgrade
to SunOS 4.0.

You need Sun TranScript 2.1. A Beta version will be available in July.
The release notes state that TranScript 2.0 will work in SunOS 4.0.
My contact @ Sun tells me this is a printing error.

Apparently Sun has made some changes to troff, to support wider pages
(allowing TranScript to work in landscape mode).  The default font
widths have been modified for better PostScript support. (So you can
type "troff -t |lpr -Premote -t" without having TransScript
installed).  In addition, some changes were made with the eqn package
to better support the "natural" PostScript symbols.
(Sorry for the vagueness. My release notes are currently a mile from here.)

We are doing our first SunOS 4.0 installation today, and haven't
experienced this first hand. I thought Youse Net People may want to
know this before you take the plunge into SunOS 4.0. :-(

I don't know if Adobe's 2.1 release will work with SunOS 4.0.
If someone has hacked the sources, could you let me know?
(It may be time for a quick order to Elan for ditroff :-)

Someone please tell me I am wrong........
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) (06/10/88)

In article <4588@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:
>I just today heard (from Sam Wong@Sun (sp?)) that the current version of
>TransScript (2.0) that Sun supports will not run when you upgrade
>to SunOS 4.0.

>You need Sun TranScript 2.1. A Beta version will be available in July.
>The release notes state that TranScript 2.0 will work in SunOS 4.0.
>My contact @ Sun tells me this is a printing error.

I have a copy of TranScript 2.1 ... it supports all the LaserWriter
fonts.  Call adobe and ask for the person in charge of TranScript then
let this person know that you want to upgrade to 2.1.

>Apparently Sun has made some changes to troff, to support wider pages
>(allowing TranScript to work in landscape mode).  The default font
>widths have been modified for better PostScript support. (So you can
>type "troff -t |lpr -Premote -t" without having TransScript
>installed).  In addition, some changes were made with the eqn package
>to better support the "natural" PostScript symbols.
>(Sorry for the vagueness. My release notes are currently a mile from here.)

Yes, but there are many reasons to use TranScript.

>We are doing our first SunOS 4.0 installation today, and haven't
>experienced this first hand. I thought Youse Net People may want to
>know this before you take the plunge into SunOS 4.0. :-(
>
>I don't know if Adobe's 2.1 release will work with SunOS 4.0.
>If someone has hacked the sources, could you let me know?
>(It may be time for a quick order to Elan for ditroff :-)

Check out this month's (June 1988) UNIX Review. They have a rating of
several ditroff products including Elan's eroff.  Eroff received the
lowest grade.

Ditroff with some good postprocessor like postsc, devps, xroff's and
others enhances text considerably over old troff.

Brian    : UC San Francisco        :...!{ucbvax,uunet}!daedalus.ucsf.edu!brianc
Colfer   : Dept. of Lab. Medicine  : brianc@daedalus.ucsf.edu
         :  PH. 415-476-2325       : BRIANC@UCSFCCA.BITNET

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (06/11/88)

In article <1282@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> brianc@daedalus.UUCP (Brian Colfer) writes:
|In article <4588@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> I wrote:
|>You need Sun TranScript 2.1. A Beta version will be available in July.
           ---
		I said what I meant.

|>The release notes state that TranScript 2.0 will work in SunOS 4.0.
|>My contact @ Sun tells me this is a printing error.
|>
|I have a copy of TranScript 2.1 ... it supports all the LaserWriter
|fonts.  Call adobe and ask for the person in charge of TranScript then
|let this person know that you want to upgrade to 2.1.

Please read the entire article before you respond. I have Adobe's
TranScript 2.1 sources. I have Sun TransScript 2.0 binaries.
I don't have Sun's TranScript 2.1. It's not released yet.

Let me repeat the question.

	If I upgrade to SunSO 4.0, can I use the LaserWriter?

If someone has some *FACTS* - I would appreciate hearing them.
--
p.s. to Brian Colfer. Learn how to use the Follow-up: line properly.
--

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (06/11/88)

From article <4588@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com>, by barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett):
" I just today heard (from Sam Wong@Sun (sp?)) that the current version of
" TransScript (2.0) that Sun supports will not run when you upgrade
" to SunOS 4.0.

Is there some reason we can't use the troff from 3.x, I wonder?

"...
" widths have been modified for better PostScript support. (So you can
" type "troff -t |lpr -Premote -t" without having TransScript
" installed). ...

Can this be right?  Who translates from troff's cat output to
PostScript?  I think you would have to have TransScript installed
for this.  Or have some functional equivalent of the pscat program.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (06/13/88)

In article <1941@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
|From article <4588@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com>, I wrote:
|" widths have been modified for better PostScript support. (So you can
|" type "troff -t |lpr -Premote -t" without having TransScript
|" installed). ...

|Can this be right?  Who translates from troff's cat output to
|PostScript?  I think you would have to have TransScript installed
|for this.  Or have some functional equivalent of the pscat program.

The -t filter is pscat. It is executed by the remote printer in this
case. TransScript  is installed on the remote printer in the above case.

Or so the documentation implies.
--

bobm@agsm.unsw.oz (Robert Marks) (06/13/88)

In article <1282@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, brianc@daedalus (Brian Colfer) states

>Check out this month's (June 1988) UNIX Review. They have a rating of
>several ditroff products including Elan's eroff.  Eroff received the
>lowest grade.

Could someone on the net who's read this article summarize it for those
of us (in the farthest reaches of empire) who won't have an opportunity
to see it for some months, if ever?  Much appreciated.

Bob