[comp.lang.postscript] multiple-upsmanship

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (06/05/88)

You may remember that a while back, denise@cwi.nl (Denise L. Draper)
posted a program called pshalf, which would print a PostScript file
two-up, that is, in landscape mode side by side at about half size.

I have a burning need for the general case.  I want to print many
pages on a sheet, non-rotated.  I'd like to be able to print them
in pairs, with boxes around them, like this:

	+------+ +------+    +------+ +------+
	|      | |     1|    |2     | |     3|
	|      | |      |    |      | |      |
	|      | |      |    |      | |      |
	|      | |      |    |      | |      |
	+------+ +------+    +------+ +------+

	+------+ +------+    +------+ +------+
	|4     | |     5|    |6     | |     7|
	|      | |      |    |      | |      |
	|      | |      |    |      | |      |
	|      | |      |    |      | |      |
	+------+ +------+    +------+ +------+

Layout designers like to look at a book this way.

It would be great if there were the following
parameters that could be tweaked:

ax ay  offset of upper-left of useful part of each page in source ps file
bx by  size of useful part on each page
c      scale factor (multiplied times [bx,by] to make final size of each page)
d      number of pages per row
e      number of pages per column
f      distance in x from odd to even page
g      distance in x from even to odd page
h      distance in y to next row
i      rotate or not
j      leave first page slot blank or not
k      box around each page or not
l      linewidth for k

Has anyone written such a program?  I would gladly pay money for it!

 --dave yost

In article <418@grand.UUCP> day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:

>Has anyone written such a program?  I would gladly pay money for it!

Oh yeah ? How much ?

--
                "Live by the lawn dart, die by the lawn dart."
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM           {decwrl!mejac, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!richard

day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) (06/14/88)

In article <418@grand.UUCP> day@grand.UUCP (Dave Yost) writes:
>I want to print many pages on a sheet, non-rotated.  I'd like to
>be able to print them in pairs, with boxes around them, like this:
>       +----+ +----+   +----+ +----+

etc., etc.

I just wrote this program.  I'm calling it "psstep".
It works with ditroff-psdit output, and I'm testing it
now with other PostScript files.  I hope to post it
soon when it has settled down.

 --dave yost