[comp.lang.postscript] PostScript fonts: German...

berlin@bu-cs.BU.EDU (David K. Fickes) (07/15/88)

Once again we are looking for fonts... we especially need the
"old German script fonts" which are known by many separate names
such as:

German - Chicago Manual of Style
Fraktur - ??
Gothic  - different than English Gothic, used in mathematics
AlteSchrift - German name for this font style...

I've bought a copy of Mactography's Type Sampler and called
Adobe to no avail.  However, I would be SHOCKED to
discover if this font did not exist SOMEWHERE in the POSTSCRIPT
world.

any help in locating this font would be appreciated...

- thanks, david
David K. Fickes     Center for Einstein Studies/Einstein Papers Project
UUCP: ...harvard!bu-it!berlin			Boston University
OTHERWISE: berlin@bu-it.bu.edu			745 Commonwealth Avenue
PHONE:	(617) 353-9249	(617) 277-9741		Boston, MA 02215

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (07/15/88)

In article <23865@bu-cs.BU.EDU> berlin@buita.bu.edu (David Fickes  - Einstein Project) writes:
>Once again we are looking for fonts... we especially need the
>"old German script fonts" which are known by many separate names
>such as:
>
>German - Chicago Manual of Style
>Fraktur - ??
>Gothic  - different than English Gothic, used in mathematics
>AlteSchrift - German name for this font style...

[stuff deleted]

In case this is of interest to other than David, I am making a general
posting instead of replying via E-mail.

The "devps" ditroff to PostScript translator from Pipeline Associates
(New York, New York) comes with converted Hershey fonts for Gothic
English, Gothic German, and Gothic Italian.  The fonts aren't too bad
at point sizes up to about 20-24 points.  Below 16 points they look
quite good.  I have no idea if Pipeline would be willing to sell the
fonts without the "devps" package.  There are (at least) a couple of
Hershey data base to PostScript conversion programs in the public
domain if you want to roll your own.  Anyone out there have one of
these beasts along with the standard Hershey data base?

Ken Keirnan
--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM