[comp.lang.postscript] Phototypesetter output

Are there any places in L.A. where one can modem
a PostScript file and get Linotronic 300 output ?

I have the list of places in the PLJ (someplace!)
but the closest seemed to be Santa Barbera.

Any ideas ?

--
      If you were to flatten out Wales, it would be bigger than England.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

mark@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mark Rowe) (07/09/88)

The July 1988 issue of Publish magazine (pp60-61) provide a fairly extensive
list of PostScript Service Bureaus including an indication of rather or not
a modem service is provided and what printer/typesetter is being used.  There
are five listed in L.A. all of which provide modem service and use Linotronic
300s.

     Commtype                      (213) 938-8973
     Fingerprint                   (213) 653-2082
     Graphic Typesetting Service   (213) 232-1185
     Microprint                    (213) 627-7800
     L.A. Fonts Typography         (213) 204-2777

There are other listings for the surrounding areas such as Anaheim, Pasadena,
and Ventura.

Mark Rowe
Hewlett Packard
Corvallis, Oregon

mark%hpcvlx@hplabs.HP.COM

It was pretty universal. I got 3 suggestions to call Graphics + Plus in
Culver City as being a good source of Typesetter output from PostScript
in L.A.

It's a pretty slick racket. They have a BBS that you call and upload
your file. Allegedly it was supposed to ask you a bunch of other things,
but all I could get it to do is Log Off or Upload a File. Which
is fine. I uploaded the file on a friday night about midnight.

I called the next day, about 11 ish.

``Hi. Are you guys open today?''

``Uhh...no, not really.''

``Oh. Too bad. I was wondering if I could pick up some output''

``Oh sure, come on down. I though you wanted something complicated.''

I went down there and sure enough they were closed, and my output
was taped to the door in a plastic bag.

The artwork I was doing needed (as you may have guessed) legal sized
paper.

I *of course* wanted 2540 DPI.

Their miserable Linotronic 300 **wouldn't do** 2540 DPI on legal paper.

``Why not'' I asked.

``Dunno man, it bombs''.

Oh

Is this normal ? Is there ANY device that can do 2540 DPI on legal
paper ?

I opened my package. I looked at it.

Sheesh I thought. This is hardly better than the laser output. I can STILL
see the dots in the halftones.

Until I actually compared the two. The laser output looks like it was
done with crayons in comparison.

Highly recomended.

Unrelated question: I just got a brand factory new toned cartridge and
installed it. Changed the fuzzy brush thing too. Now my output
doesnt come out as black as it used to for 3/4" solid black squares.
They *used* to be pretty much solid black. Now, with this new
toner, they're a little light in the middle. Any ideas ?

P.S. to Milo. This is your modem talking.

--

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (07/12/88)

In article <4812@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
#Unrelated question: I just got a brand factory new toned cartridge and
#installed it. Changed the fuzzy brush thing too. Now my output
#doesnt come out as black as it used to for 3/4" solid black squares.
#They *used* to be pretty much solid black. Now, with this new
#toner, they're a little light in the middle. Any ideas ?

Toner cartridges need some copies to 'run in'. The best thing to do is to
have two cartridges, one for normal daily use and one for high quality output.
The high quality cartridge should have run about 300/500 copies. This will
give you the best quality solid black a toner cartridge can produce.

Hope this helps,
--Kees
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

edwards@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Edwards) (07/22/88)

In article <4812@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> The artwork I was doing needed (as you may have guessed) legal sized
> paper.
> I *of course* wanted 2540 DPI.
> Their miserable Linotronic 300 **wouldn't do** 2540 DPI on legal paper.
> ``Why not'' I asked.
> ``Dunno man, it bombs''.
> Oh
>
> Is this normal ? Is there ANY device that can do 2540 DPI on legal
> paper ?

I know of no reason why a Linotron 300 should not be able to do legal size
output. We have an L300 and have not encountered problems with legal size
formats. What we have encountered problems with from time to time are files
which are too "busy" and for unknown reasons timeout on us ("busy" here is
a very imprecise term for a combination of too many fonts, blocks, bit-images,
and whatever's sufficient to give the RIP indigestion). We haven't clearly
determined what is it exactly which causes these infrequent "timeouts" and
neither has Linotron. I was told once it has to do with the serial link
between LocalTalk and the RIP hanging but never got a straight answer. Most
of our problems went away when we DLed our printer fonts to the L300 harddisk.

> Sheesh I thought. This is hardly better than the laser output. I can STILL
> see the dots in the halftones.
>
> Until I actually compared the two. The laser output looks like it was
> done with crayons in comparison.
>
> Highly recomended.

Even at 300dpi the Linotron output will look much better because of the
density and consistency of the image. I don't know what resolution your
image was printed at but we typically do our L300 output at 1270 on paper
and only go to 2540 when we do negative film for plate production.

Keep in mind that anybody running L300 output for you has an interest in
running it at the lowest resolution you will accept. More res = more time...
time = money. I'm not saying you were ripped off though....maybe their
software has a glitch that doesn't permit legal printing.

Disclaimer: I am participating as a guest of Bruce Edwards. My name
            is Ken Jenkins. Bruce is generally amused with my ramblings
            but does not necessarily agree with them.

            'These are only the shadowlands.' C.S. Lewis
        Ken Jenkins as guest of edwards@bgsu
        CSNET: edwards@bgsu
      ARPANET: edwards%bgsu@csnet-relay
         UUCP: cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!edwards

stephenf@softway.oz (Stephen Frede) (07/25/88)

In article <2677@bgsuvax.UUCP> edwards@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Edwards) writes:
> In article <4812@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>
> > Sheesh I thought. This is hardly better than the laser output. I can STILL
> > see the dots in the halftones.
> Even at 300dpi the Linotron output will look much better because of the
> density and consistency of the image. I don't know what resolution your
> image was printed at but we typically do our L300 output at 1270 on paper
> and only go to 2540 when we do negative film for plate production.

If you are doing raster images, or in fact anything using
halftones, as you imply, you should be aware that the default
screen frequency is 60, as in the LaserWriter. (Correct me if
I'm wrong - that was the case on a machine we had some work
printed on; it may not have been a 300). You will still
certainly see the dots in the halftones. Try increasing the
screen frequency. Of course, more small dots is not
necessarily better than less larger dots, from a normal visual
viewpoint (as opposed to close examination). Experiment with
different screen frequencies. I believe for the application we
did, we used about 100.

			Regards,

				- Stephen Frede

Softway Pty Ltd, P.O. Box 305, Strawberry Hills, NSW 2012, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 698 2322; Fax: +61 2 699 9174; Telex: AA27987
ACSnet: stephenf@softway.oz	UUCP: ...!uunet!softway.oz!stephenf