[comp.lang.postscript] help with ps4014

alex@eneevax.UUCP (James Alexander) (07/24/88)

I apologize if my questions have recently been worked on, or if they
are overly naive.  We have two different problems with the
adobe-written filter ps4014.  I need someone, perhaps an adobe wizard,
to suggest work-arounds, or point me to a different tek -> ps filter.
Our system is a sun network running unix.

1.  An application program produces tek files, which can be saved.
The saved files, when `cat'ed, produce the correct graphics.  When run
through ps4014, we get the error message: ``ps4014: Bad 4110 command: J^_''
If I'm not mistaken, there seems to be a carriage return in the tek
file.  Nonetheless, the output is a perfectly reasonable-looking postscript
file.  However, when we try to print it (apple laserwriter), a blank
page comes out and the following message is in the print queue file.

%%[ Error: nocurrentpoint; OffendingCommand: show ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

Is the print problem caused by the bad tek command?  Is there something
to be done short of working on the program that writes the tek file?

2.  We have a program which creates files to be filtered through a unix
program called plot.  The problem is that postscript has problems with
linestyles (dashed, etc.)  when data points are close together.  One
option is to use the adobe filter psplot.  This tries to convert line
styles, but creates a mishmash.  It seems to link consecutive points
with different line styles rather than identifying a line and plotting
it in a certain style.  The other route is to use the option -T4014 of
plot to create a tek file.  This route gives beautiful line styles in a
tektronix terminal emulator and also gives beautiful output when sent
to an imagen with the imagen-tek option.  When further filtered through
ps4014 (using the prologue ps4014.pro), however, different line styles all
come out as solid.  Any suggestions?

--
    alex@eneevax.umd.edu
    {seismo,allegra}!mimsy!eneevax!alex

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (07/26/88)

In article <1656@eneevax.UUCP>, alex@eneevax.UUCP (James Alexander) writes:

> 1.  An application program produces tek files, which can be saved.
> The saved files, when `cat'ed, produce the correct graphics.  When run
> through ps4014, we get the error message: ``ps4014: Bad 4110 command: J^_''

Could you send me a copy of a file that causes this problem.
We sell a package called 4014plot that is supposed to do the same
as ps4014.  I hope it doesn't :-)
I would be interested to try it out.

Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl