[comp.lang.postscript] Restoring elements of strings

jcb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield) (07/27/88)

The current Postscript design does not undo changes made to elements
of strings when it `restore's VM. Despite the warning in the Red Book,
I know programs that use this. Question: do non-Adobe emulations of
Postscript also emulate this bug/feature, or do they correct it?

geof@imagen.UUCP (Geoffrey Cooper) (08/01/88)

In article <570@etive.ed.ac.uk>, jcb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield) writes:
> The current Postscript design does not undo changes made to elements
> of strings when it `restore's VM. Despite the warning in the Red Book,
> I know programs that use this. Question: do non-Adobe emulations of
> Postscript also emulate this bug/feature, or do they correct it?

You've answered the question.  Since there are programs that use the
"feature", the clone's will have to support it.  Of course, I can only
vouch for UltraScript.  It falls out as an obvious efficiency hack in
the way you implement PostScript save/restore.

In the presence of multitasking (e.g., News and display postscript)
which use a different implementation of save/restore, I wouldn't be
suprised to see that feature go away.

- Geof
--
{decwrl,sun,saber}!imagen!geof