[comp.lang.postscript] New PostScript Internet Domain Diagram avialable via FTP

bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) (07/27/88)

      New Version of Internet Domain Diagram Now Available

A new version of the Internet Domain Diagram suitable for PostScript
compatible laser printers is now available via anonymous FTP from
omnigate.clarkson.edu (128.153.4.2) from the directory PostScript

There are two versions each in compressed and noncompressed form:

	domain.3x2.ps  (120K) and domain.3x2.ps.Z  (30K)
	domain.2x1.ps  (120K) and domain.2x1.ps.Z  (30K)

Both versions show the same information, in the same format. However,
simply enlarging the smaller of the two does NOT create the same
internal dimensions of the larger one (IE: the line thickness would change)
and would produce undesirable effects.
The first version uses six pages (3x2 grid) the second (less readable but
legible) uses two pages.  Both versions print with some overlap so
that it is possible to tape them together seamlessly.

Note: The current Internet Diagram, available from SRI-NIC.ARPA requires
nine pages.

Each file is composed of 'compiled' postscript which is NOT
conforming postscript. The code was 'compiled' by running the original
PostScript code through a NeWS psh and can be printed on the
average PostScript laser printer in approximately five
minutes per page.  The fonts /Helvetica and /Helvetica-Bold are all
the required fonts.

The original PostScript code is not available, but may be in the future.

For those who are interested, here's how the printouts where created:

The original code has embedded in it arrays within arrays which
describe any tree like topology.  The postscript code attempts to maximize
the size of printed objects while traversing the tree and determining
each objects orientation.

The code was originally designed to provide an automatic method for
generating Clarkson University's Ethernet diagram.

The code is composed of four major parts:

	1. Prologue, subroutine definitions.
	2. Data. usually machine generated
	3. local definition mods (modifies data section)
	4. Trailer - printout format specifics (ie: size etc)

In the case of the Internet Diagram the data section was obtained
from the domain.list file from SRI-NIC.arpa.  For the Clarkson
University diagram we obtain the data from the same database which
feeds our Nameserver.

You can also FTP a copy of the Clarkson University diagram from the
PostScript directory the file is  clarkson.2x1.ps (60K) and
clarkson.2x1.ps.Z (15K).
This diagram uses distinct symbols for hosts,routers,bridges etc
Also included are various line and laser printers.

Clarkson University makes no representation or warranty as to the suitability
or reliability of these files.  You may copy them for your own use.

You may direct inquiries or suggestions (always welcome) to
bkc@omnigate.clarkson.edu

Please remember that these diagrams were not meant to be visually
appealing, but rather provide a quick means to automatically regenerate
our current network diagram without painstaking redrawing by hand.

Brad Clements  (bkc@omnigate.clarkson.edu)
Network Engineer
Clarkson University

pete@tsc (Pete Schmitt) (07/28/88)

In article <1229@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) writes:
> A new version of the Internet Domain Diagram suitable for PostScript
> compatible laser printers is now available via anonymous FTP from
> omnigate.clarkson.edu (128.153.4.2) from the directory PostScript
>
> 	domain.3x2.ps  (120K) and domain.3x2.ps.Z  (30K)
> 	domain.2x1.ps  (120K) and domain.2x1.ps.Z  (30K)
>
> You can also FTP a copy of the Clarkson University diagram from the
> PostScript directory the file is  clarkson.2x1.ps (60K) and
> clarkson.2x1.ps.Z (15K).

Would some kind gentleperson please mail me these diagrams in that I
do not have direct access to ARPA.  Thanks.

--
           \\\!///		Peter Schmitt
            _   _ 		UUCP: decwrl!tsc.dnet!pete

basin@hub.ucsb.edu (Krik Ziegler) (07/30/88)

In article <1229@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) writes:
> A new version of the Internet Domain Diagram suitable for PostScript
> compatible laser printers is now available via anonymous FTP from
> omnigate.clarkson.edu (128.153.4.2) from the directory PostScript
>
> 	domain.3x2.ps  (120K) and domain.3x2.ps.Z  (30K)
> 	domain.2x1.ps  (120K) and domain.2x1.ps.Z  (30K)
>
> You can also FTP a copy of the Clarkson University diagram from the
> PostScript directory the file is  clarkson.2x1.ps (60K) and
> clarkson.2x1.ps.Z (15K).

Has anyone done a diagram of UUCP connections??

  Jim Lick                Disclaimer: No one cares what I have to say
  PO Box 60553                        anyways, so why should they be
  Santa Barbara, CA                   blamed for my rantings and ravings.
        93160-0553        Interesting Quote: "Lemon Curry!?"
  basin@hub.ucsb.edu      Neat Design: |  | ---  |\/| /\ |\/| |
  (805) 968-0189                       |--|  |   |  ||  ||  | |

jfid@warwick.UUCP (James Fidell) (07/31/88)

In article <558@tsc> pete@tsc (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>In article <1229@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) writes:
>> A new version of the Internet Domain Diagram suitable for PostScript
>> 	domain.3x2.ps  (120K) and domain.3x2.ps.Z  (30K)
>> 	domain.2x1.ps  (120K) and domain.2x1.ps.Z  (30K)
>
>Would some kind gentleperson please mail me these diagrams in that I
>do not have direct access to ARPA.  Thanks.

Me too ?

James
--

 "I walk down the street,               | JANET:  jfid@uk.ac.warwick
  there's no-one there,                 | ARPA :  jfid@warwick.ac.uk

jos@philapd.UUCP (Jos Vos) (08/01/88)

In article <748@ubu.warwick.UUCP> jfid@diamond.ac.uk (James Fidell) writes:
>In article <558@tsc> pete@tsc (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>>In article <1229@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) writes:
>>> A new version of the Internet Domain Diagram suitable for PostScript
>>> 	domain.3x2.ps  (120K) and domain.3x2.ps.Z  (30K)
>>> 	domain.2x1.ps  (120K) and domain.2x1.ps.Z  (30K)
>>Would some kind gentleperson please mail me these diagrams in that I
>>do not have direct access to ARPA.  Thanks.
>Me too ?

Me too?

It seems that several people are interested in receiving these diagrams
in another way. Is there a mail-based file server that can pick up these
files? Or are they already available in such a way?

--
#  Jos Vos                             #  Internet  jos@philapd.UUCP  #
#  Philips TDS, Dept SSP               #                              #

rob@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Rob Logan) (08/04/88)

> It seems that several people are interested in receiving these diagrams
> in another way. Is there a mail-based file server that can pick up these
> files? Or are they already available in such a way?

To request a file from PostScript send to:

archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu mail of the form

send PostScript file
or
index PostScript
or
help

Eg. send PostScript clarkson.2x1.ps

The current contents of the PostScript directory are:

 71770 Aug  3 08:27 clarkson.2x1.ps # Clarkson network map
149389 Aug  3 08:28 domain.2x1.ps   # Internet Network map, 2 by 1 sheets
149389 Aug  3 08:28 domain.3x2.ps   # Internet Network map, 3 by 2 sheets

			Rob

rob@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (08/09/88)

In article <455@ssp15.idca.tds.philips.nl> jos@philapd.UUCP (Jos Vos) writes:
>In article <748@ubu.warwick.UUCP> jfid@diamond.ac.uk (James Fidell) writes:

ok, i downloaded the postscript files, uncompressed them, and then
downloaded to a macintosh to dump to a laserwriter.  i tried sending one to
a laserwriter plus with sendps and cricket draw.  it wouldn't print?  can i
do this?

daniel carr

bkc@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Brad Clements) (08/09/88)

> ok, i downloaded the postscript files, uncompressed them, and then
> downloaded to a macintosh to dump to a laserwriter.  i tried sending one to
> a laserwriter plus with sendps and cricket draw.  it wouldn't print?  can i
> do this?

I'm not familiar with this path for printing, but as of this posting
over 600 sites have downloaded the diagrams and I have received
failure notes from only six ppl.

In all six cases, the files did not print due to lack of memory space
in the printer. I suggest you try to print the files via another
route so that you can be sure the laser printer isn't getting any
permanently downloaded code stuck in it.

The six cases I mentioned got theirs to print by,
  turning off the printer
  turning it back on
  sending the diagram as the VERY FIRST thing

I stress VERY FIRST, the mac often downloads junk like laserprep that
uses too much space.

I suggest you download ehandler.ps then print the file. If you get
a VMerror then you have probably run out of memory. If you get any
other error than the file was probably corrupted in transit.

Both diagrams print on a regular Apple Laserwriter with the ehandler
resident (but nothing else)

The reason the files gobble memory is because the entire array of
drawing instructions need to be stored in memory for the
printposter routine to work. You could edit the file, place two
copies of printposter and two copies of all the drawing instructions
and do it w/ less memory. But the final file size would be
n pages times the size of the original file.

-Brad Clements
bkc@omnigate.clarkson.edu