[comp.lang.postscript] Wordstar and LaserWriter's

rkxyv@mergvax (Rob Kedoin) (08/24/88)

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to print a Wordstar4 document on an
Apple LaserWriter ?  The Diablo emulation mode didn't do an adequate job of
printing the document.

Thanks for help in advance!

		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:	...{philabs,motown,icus}\!mergvax\!rkxyv
ARPA:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@uunet.uu.net
BITNET:	rkxyv%mergvax.UUCP@uunet.uu.net.BITNET
SNAIL-mail: Linotype Company - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE: (516) 434 - 2729

stefan@isieng.UUCP (Isaacs) (08/25/88)

In article <158@mergvax>, rkxyv@mergvax (Rob Kedoin) writes:

> Could anyone tell me if it is possible to print a Wordstar4 document on an
> Apple LaserWriter ?  The Diablo emulation mode didn't do an adequate job of
> printing the document.
>
> Thanks for help in advance!
>
> 		-Rob Kedoin

 Several years ago I worked for a startup in Oregon (Control-C Software). While
 there I finished a driver that would allow you to print Wordstar documents
 on a variety of laserprinters (Qumes, Ricoh, Apple, HP, Canon).

 The driver used the native instruction set of the printers (rather than one of
 the brain-damaged emulation modes) and was capable of producing very nice
 documents (justification to 1/720 of an inch).

 I believe they are still in business (producing a PostScript clone) and that
 you can reach them at: (503) 292-8842. Their number has changed in the last
 couple of years, but I believe the recording will still tell you the new
 number.

 Best of luck,
 Stefan

Stefan A. Fielding-Isaacs
office: [408] 943-1902, x351           * Workstation at Large *

UUCP: {sun, decwrl, mips}!pyramid!isieng!isieng:stefan
ARPA: isieng.stefan%isieng.uucp@uunet.UU.NET

    "Disclaimers? We don't need no stinkin' disclaimers!!"

stever@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Imants Golts) (09/06/88)

I also could not get my NEC 890 postcript printer to print wordstar
documents (3.31) using diablo emulation.

But I was successful using the HP emulation of the NEC and the HP
driver of WS 3.31.   The only problem was the creep of lines to the
following pages.

However, having just received WS5, I read that I need to adjust page
size to about 62 lines since laser printers apparently cannot handle
66 lines per page.  Is this what was not adequate with your WS4 and
the apple printer?

--steve rogers

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/06/88)

In article <3483@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> stever@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (steve rogers) writes:
...However, having just received WS5, I read that I need to adjust page
...size to about 62 lines since laser printers apparently cannot handle
...66 lines per page.  Is this what was not adequate with your WS4 and
...the apple printer?
...--steve rogers

This is not true with WS2000 release 3 and the AST Turbolaser/PS.  I set
all single spaced pages to 66 lines per page without any problems.

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800