[comp.lang.postscript] Versaterm running on TCP/IP?

jfm@sol.engin.umich.edu.engin.umich.edu (John Francis Mansfield) (10/07/88)

Well, now I've got everyones attention, let me hasten to add that I do
not have such a beast but am trying to find out if anyone has
implemented this.  Lonnie Abelbeck tells me that Versaterm uses a very
flexible driver for serial port access and it would be easy to
intercept the data and write a fake driver that in fact connected with
appletalk and could therefore access ethernet via a Kinetics box,
ethernet card access would also be nice but I think that the Kbox
route would be more popular.  Why do I want this you may ask?
Well although the new version of NCSA telnet is very nice, it's MAJOR
shortcoming is the Tektronix emulation.  Although a mite slow teh
VersatermPro 4105 emulation is excellent and it would be a great
addition to our sysytems here if we could plot tek graphics via
network connections with mainfames and minicomputers on the mac
screens. Now a company called Grafpoint promise a tek4107-4115
emulator for the mac soon but this does not yet support tcp/ip either
and the salesman that I talked to didnt see to care when it would. AND
the product COSTS, somewhere near $1000 for the 4115 emulator and
about $500 for the 4107!!  So anyone got any suggestions or ideas?
I do not have the time expertise to write a serial->tcp/ip driver for
versaterm, although Lonnie Abelbeck said hed give whoever would all
the info they would need.  Any volunteers?

John Mansfield.

John Mansfield, North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory,
2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2143. Ph: (313)-936-3352.
__________
YYURYYUBICURYY4ME.

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (10/08/88)

In article <3eea2624.59b7@sauron.engin.umich.edu> jfm@sol.engin.umich.edu.UUCP (John Francis Mansfield) writes:

>Well, now I've got everyones attention, let me hasten to add that I do
>not have such a beast but am trying to find out if anyone has
>implemented this.
Ungermann-Bass has a new product, Net/One TCP-Mac that I just got literature
on.  There is a section on Virtual Termianl Access that reads:

	TCP-Mac supports the Telnet virtual terminal protocol through the
	Apple Macintosh driver, MacTCP(TM).  The driver allows all existing
	text or graphics terminal emulators that are based on the standard
	Macintosh serial drivers to operate in the TCP/IP envirorment.

	The Telnet menu is installed into a terminal emulator as a desk
	accessory (D/A).  A user has the ability to switch between Telnet
	and the standard Macintosh serial drivers.

Sounds pretty good to me.

(Standard disclaimer about them and me.)

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy