[comp.lang.postscript] Troff font names for PostScript fonts

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (10/04/88)

Can anybody give me some suggestions about the two-letter fontnames for
[di]troff that I should assign to the 35 built-in fonts of the Apple
LaserWriter IINTX? Of course I can define some (sometimes even reasonable)
names, but I want to use standards as much as possible.

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

csch@tmpmbx.UUCP (Clemens Schrimpe) (10/08/88)

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
<> Can anybody give me some suggestions about the two-letter fontnames for
<> [di]troff that I should assign to the 35 built-in fonts of the Apple
<> LaserWriter IINTX? Of course I can define some (sometimes even reasonable)
<> names, but I want to use standards as much as possible.
Great idea!

We use the EROFF-package from ELAN Computer Group Inc.
It works PRETTY WELL from the first minute!

The have a manual-page (psfonts.5), where I found the following:
(edited for brevity)

\f(ZD$\fP--------------------------- snip ----------------------------------
		Standard Fonts

	R	Times-Roman	ABC abc 123
	I	Times-Italic
	B	Times-Bold
	BI	Times-BoldItalic
	H	Helvetica
	HI	Helvetica-Oblique
	HB	Helvetica-Bold
	HX	Helvetica-BoldOblique
	CW	Courier (Constant width)
	CI	Courier-Oblique
	CB	Courier-Bold
	CX	Courier-BoldOblique
	S	Symbol

		Additional Fonts

	PR	Palatino-Roman
	PI	Palatino-Italic
	PB	Palatino-Bold
	PX	Palatino-BoldItalic
	A	AvantGarde-Book
	AI	AvantGarde-BookOblique
	AB	AvantGarde-Demi
	AX	AvantGarde-DemiOblique
	Z	Bookman-Light
	ZI	Bookman-LightItalic
	ZB	Bookman-Demi
	ZX	Bookman-DemiItalic
	N	Helvetica-Narrow
	NI	Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique
	NB	Helvetica-Narrow-Bold
	NX	Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique
	ZC	ZapfChancery-MediumItalic
	ZD	ZapfDingbats
	X	NewCenturySchlbk-Roman
	XI	NewCenturySchlbk-Italic
	XB	NewCenturySchlbk-Bold
	XX	NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic
----------------------------- snip again -----------------------------

I think they are all reasonable :-)

	Clemens Schrimpe, netmbx Berlin
--
UUCP:	csch@tmpmbx.UUCP	{pyramid,unido,altger}!tmpmbx!csch
BITNET:	csch@db0tui6.BITNET	csch@tub.BITNET

stephenf@softway.oz (Stephen Frede) (10/12/88)

In article <570@ssp15.idca.tds.philips.nl> jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
> Can anybody give me some suggestions about the two-letter fontnames for
> [di]troff that I should assign to the 35 built-in fonts of the Apple
> LaserWriter IINTX? Of course I can define some (sometimes even reasonable)
> names, but I want to use standards as much as possible.

A suggestion was posted to the net some time ago for a naming
philosophy. This was basically to choose a 2-character name for a font
family, and then use upper and lower case variations to represent
different members of the family. The original proposal used both letters
lowercase to indicate the standard (non-bold, non-italic) member of the
family. Unfortunately, the vast majority of fonts already in use are all
uppercase for the standard member. So my variation is to use a lowercase
initial letter to indicate italic (or oblique) and a lowercase second
letter to indicate bold. The following is a copy (more or less) of the
FONTMAP file distributed with Softway's commercial version (dpscript) of the
ditroff->postscript translator (tpscript) that was posted to the net
(both a long time ago by me, and more recently by someone else).
This file may of course be edited by the user of the software, but this
is the default and indicates most of what I've discovered and recommend
for font names. I'd love to see some sort of a standard, and look
forward to seeing what other people use, and any comments anyone may
have.

# This file instructs dpscript (the troff back end filter for PostScript)
# on where to find a particular font that troff asks for.
#
# Format is 3 columns:
#
#	troff-font-name		font-source	font-or-file-name
#
# where
#	troff-font-name is the 1 or 2 character troff font name
#	font-source is one of:
#		resident		The font is built-into the printer
#		postscript		User-defined postscript font
#		raster			DWB raster (bitmap) font
#		vfont			BSD vfont raster (similar to above)
#		synonym			Another name for some other font
#		outline			Outline form of a resident font
#					(may also work with Adobe fonts)
#
#	font-or-file-name is a PostScript font name for resident fonts,
#			a filename containing the data for user-defined,
#			raster and vfont fonts,
#			and a troff font name for synonyms
#

# The convention I have used for naming font styles is to choose a unique
# two character (upper case) name for the base family, and then use
# variations in the case of the name to indicate alternative styles
# as shown:
#		AA	Roman
#		Aa	Bold (or Demi, etc.)
#		aA	Italic (or Oblique)
#		aa	Bold Italic
# Font families that have more than these four style variations
# (eg includes Bold and Very Bold), are rare and in these cases, we just
# have to make up another name. Also, try to avoid family base names ending
# in 'O' as I have used names ending in 'o' for the outline fonts.
#
# Also, remember that P is an illegal troff font name (means Previous)

# The following is correct for the Apple LaserWriter and most other
# PostScript devices developed by Adobe.
# If your device does not have these fonts, then change the
# names appropriately.

# The following are resident on an Apple LaserWriter
# The names R, I, B and BI are in such common use that they should all be
# defined somewhere. They are traditionally "times", but in practice
# just mean the 4 forms of your favourite standard font.

R	resident	Times-Roman
I	resident	Times-Italic
B	resident	Times-Bold
BI	resident	Times-BoldItalic

# Courier family
# No outlined fonts, so trailing 'O' in name is ok.
# Many of these names apply to a generic constant-width font.
CO	resident	Courier
C	synonym		CO
CW	synonym		CO		# Constant Width (synonym for Courier)
CM	synonym		CO		# Courier monospace (used by AT&T doco)
Co	resident	Courier-Bold
CB	synonym		Co
Cw	synonym		Co
BM	synonym		Co	# Bold Monospaced (?) Used by AT&T doco
BB	synonym		Co	# AT&T bold constant width again I think
cO	resident	Courier-Oblique
CI	synonym		cO
cW	synonym		cO
co	resident	Courier-BoldOblique
CX	synonym		co
cw	synonym		co

# Helvetica family
HE	resident	Helvetica
H	synonym		HE
HR	synonym		HE
He	resident	Helvetica-Bold
#HB	synonym		He			# HB used for hebrew
hE	resident	Helvetica-Oblique
HO	synonym		hE
he	resident	Helvetica-BoldOblique
HX	synonym		he
S	resident	Symbol

# The following are additionally available on an Apple LaserWriter Plus,
# as well as most other PostScript printers.
# Comment them out if you have an early Apple LaserWriter.

# Palatino family
PA	resident	Palatino-Roman
Pa	resident	Palatino-Bold
pA	resident	Palatino-Italic
pa	resident	Palatino-BoldItalic

# Avant Garde family
AG	resident	AvantGarde-Book
aG	resident	AvantGarde-BookOblique
Ag	resident	AvantGarde-Demi
ag	resident	AvantGarde-DemiOblique

# Bookman family
BK	resident	Bookman-Light
bK	resident	Bookman-LightItalic
Bk	resident	Bookman-Demi
bk	resident	Bookman-DemiItalic

# Helvetica Narrow family
HN	resident	Helvetica-Narrow
Hn	resident	Helvetica-Narrow-Bold
hN	resident	Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique
hn	resident	Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique

# New Century Schoolbook family
NS	resident	NewCenturySchlbk-Roman
Ns	resident	NewCenturySchlbk-Bold
nS	resident	NewCenturySchlbk-Italic
ns	resident	NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic

# Zapf Chancery family
zC	resident	ZapfChancery-MediumItalic
ZC	synonym		zC		# because it's the only one

# There are too many characters in ZapfDingbats to map
# them all to ascii, and making up 2 character names for them
# all is beyond me, so we split it into two halves and map
# them each into ascii. See the width and code files (Z0 and Z1).
Z0	resident	ZapfDingbats
Z1	resident	ZapfDingbats

# User PostScript defined fonts
# The appropriate source files exist in this directory

S2	postscript	ps_fonts/S2.ps		# Special bracket character font
FA	postscript	ps_fonts/Faces.ps	# People's faces (48x48x1)
#	You won't get these with your distribution
SW	postscript	ps_fonts/SW.ps		# Softway characters
SF	postscript	ps_fonts/SF.ps		# Stephen's miscellaneous characters

# Outline fonts

# Use Bold (or Demi, etc.) as the base font to outline for best results.
# Link the width tables of the base font to that for the outline
#	eg: ln B.out Ro.out
# [Actually, this does not give perfect results - I'll have to make some
# width tables especially for these fonts - one day].
# I have used a lower case initial letter to indicate italic or oblique
# Some names are non-mnemonic - I gave up.
# Note that resident fonts designed for stroking (eg Courier) can't be
# made into outline in this way.

Ro	outline		Times-Bold		# Roman outline
ro	outline		Times-BoldItalic	# Italic outline
Io	synonym		ro
Ho	outline		Helvetica-Bold		# Helvetica outline
ho	outline		Helvetica-BoldOblique	# Helvetica Oblique outline

# Outline fonts for LaserWriter Plus
Po	outline		Palatino-Bold		# Palatino outline
po	outline		Palatino-BoldItalic	# Palatino Italic outline
Bo	outline		Bookman-Demi		# Bookman outline
bo	outline		Bookman-DemiItalic	# Bookman Italic outline
Ao	outline		AvantGarde-Demi		# Avant Garde outline
ao	outline		AvantGarde-DemiOblique	# Avant Garde Oblique outline
So	outline		NewCenturySchlbk-Bold	# New Century Schoolbook outline
so	outline		NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic	# NCS Italic outline
No	outline		Helvetica-Narrow-Bold	# Helvetica Narrow outline
no	outline		Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique	# H-N Oblique outline
Zo	outline		ZapfDingbats		# Zapf Dingbats outline

# Hershey fonts
# These are actually implemented at the moment by converting each font
# to PostScript in advance, rather than translating from the hershey format
# as distributed on Usenet at runtime.

ge	postscript	hershey/ge_hersh.ps	# Gothic English
Ge	postscript	hershey/Ge_hersh.ps	# Gothic English Bold
gE	postscript	hershey/gE_hersh.ps	# Gothic English Oblique
gg	postscript	hershey/gg_hersh.ps	# Gothic German
Gg	postscript	hershey/Gg_hersh.ps	# Gothic German Bold
gG	postscript	hershey/gG_hersh.ps	# Gothic German Oblique
gi	postscript	hershey/gi_hersh.ps	# Gothic Italian
Gi	postscript	hershey/Gi_hersh.ps	# Gothic Italian Bold
gI	postscript	hershey/gI_hersh.ps	# Gothic Italian Oblique
hp	postscript	hershey/hp_hersh.ps	# Plain
Hp	postscript	hershey/Hp_hersh.ps	# Plain Bold
hP	postscript	hershey/hP_hersh.ps	# Plain Oblique
sc	postscript	hershey/sc_hersh.ps	# Script Complex
Sc	postscript	hershey/Sc_hersh.ps	# Script Complex Bold
sC	postscript	hershey/sC_hersh.ps	# Script Complex Oblique
ss	postscript	hershey/ss_hersh.ps	# Script Simplex
Ss	postscript	hershey/Ss_hersh.ps	# Script Simplex Bold
sS	postscript	hershey/sS_hersh.ps	# Script Simplex Oblique
ht	postscript	hershey/ht_hersh.ps	# Triplex
Ht	postscript	hershey/Ht_hersh.ps	# Triplex Bold
hT	postscript	hershey/hT_hersh.ps	# Triplex Italic
HT	postscript	hershey/HT_hersh.ps	# Triplex Bold Italic

# Raster fonts typically available with DWB (originally for the imagen)
# Where they are available in several point sizes, use the largest

#R	raster		R.16
#I	raster		I.16
#B	raster		B.16
#BI	raster		BI.12
#S	raster		S.24
# Helvetica family
#H	raster		H.18
#HB	raster		HB.14
#HI	raster		HI.18
HK	raster		HK.18	# Helvetica Very Bold
#CW	raster		CW.16	# Constant Width
OE	raster		OE.16	# Old English
B1	raster		B1.10
B2	raster		B2.10
B3	raster		B3.10
B4	raster		B4.10
M1	raster		M1.12
M2	raster		M2.10
M3	raster		M3.10
MB	raster		MB.10
MI	raster		MI.10
MK	raster		MK.10
MM	raster		MM.10
SV	raster		SV.14
CH	raster		CH.14	# Chess

# Use the following if you don't have the extra PostScript resident fonts.
# Palatino family
#PA	raster		PA.14	# Palatino
#PB	raster		PB.14	# Palatino Bold
#PI	raster		PI.14	# Palatino Italic?
#PO	raster		PO.16	# Palatino Oblique?
#PX	raster		PX.12	# Palatino Bold Italic

# The following 3 rasters are sus
E	raster		E.14
EB	raster		EB.14
EI	raster		EI.14

#	Berkeley vfont

#R	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/R.28
#R	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/R.36	# tops cut off?
#B	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/B.28
#B	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/B.36	# tops cut off?
#I	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/I.36
#I	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/I.sr.36	# ?

# Basker family
Ba	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/basker.b.12
bA	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/basker.i.12
BA	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/basker.r.12

# Bodoni family
Bd	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/bodoni.b.10
bD	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/bodoni.i.10
BD	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/bodoni.r.10

# CM family - Computer Modern?
Cm	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/cm.b.12
cM	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/cm.i.12
#CM	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/cm.r.12

# Delegate family
DE	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/delegate.r.12
De	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/delegate.b.12
#De	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/delegate.b.12.
dE	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/delegate.i.12

# Gacham family
GA	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/gacham.r.10
Ga	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/gacham.b.10
gA	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/gacham.i.10

# Meteor family
ME	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/meteor.r.12
Me	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/meteor.b.12
mE	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/meteor.i.8

# Nonie family (note: 'No' conflicts with Helvetica Narrow Outline)
Nn	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/nonie.b.12
nN	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/nonie.i.12
NN	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/nonie.r.12

# Times family
Ti	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/times.b.10
TI	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/times.r.10
ti	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/times.s.10

# Clarendon family
#CL	?	/usr/lib/vfont/clarendon.14.c
CL	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/clarendon.18
#

Oe	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/oldenglish.18		# Old English
PI	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/pip.16
PL	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/playbill.10
SR	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/script.18
SH	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/shadow.16
SI	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/sign.22
ST	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/stare.r.16
UG	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/ugramma.10
CD	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/countdown.22
FX	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/fix.14
H1	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/h19.10	# ?
BL	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/bocklin.28
MO	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/mona.24

# Misc foreign language character sets
GK	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/greek.10
HB	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/hebrew.36
CY	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/cyrillic.12

# Misc non-ascii character sets
GR	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/graphics.14
AP	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/apl.10
#S?	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/S.11
#S?	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/S.12
Ch	vfont	/usr/lib/vfont/chess.18

jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) (10/13/88)

In article <1221@tmpmbx.UUCP>, csch@tmpmbx.UUCP (Clemens Schrimpe) writes:
> jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
> <> Can anybody give me some suggestions about the two-letter fontnames for
> <> [di]troff that I should assign to the 35 built-in fonts of the Apple
> <> LaserWriter IINTX? Of course I can define some (sometimes even reasonable)
> <> names, but I want to use standards as much as possible.
>
> We use the EROFF-package from ELAN Computer Group Inc.
>
> The have a manual-page (psfonts.5), where I found the following:

We use a postprocessor, devps, that translates our ditroff output into
PostScript programs.

I'm posting the names devps uses for the LaserWriter IINTX built-in fonts
alongside the EROFF names. (Where EROFF and devps use the same names, the
devps column is blank.) Font names and Note 1 are reproduced, without
permission, from devps documentation copyrighted by Pipeline Associates, Inc.

It's hard to argue, except "religiously," in favor of one or the other;
this is a good example of a standard that's really needed. Any standards
groups want to make this an ANSI/ISO standard?

                            FONT NAMES

     EROFF 	PostScript			devps

 	R	Times-Roman
 	I	Times-Italic
 	B	Times-Bold
 	BI	Times-BoldItalic
 	H	Helvetica
 	HI	Helvetica-Oblique
 	HB	Helvetica-Bold
 	HX	Helvetica-BoldOblique
 	CW	Courier (Constant width)
 	CI	Courier-Oblique
 	CB	Courier-Bold
 	CX	Courier-BoldOblique
 	S	Symbol

 		Additional Fonts

 	PR	Palatino-Roman			PA
 	PI	Palatino-Italic
 	PB	Palatino-Bold
 	PX	Palatino-BoldItalic
 	A	AvantGarde-Book			AG
 	AI	AvantGarde-BookOblique		AI
 	AB	AvantGarde-Demi
 	AX	AvantGarde-DemiOblique
 	Z	Bookman-Light			Bm
 	ZI	Bookman-LightItalic		Bi
 	ZB	Bookman-Demi			Bb
 	ZX	Bookman-DemiItalic		Bx
 	N	Helvetica-Narrow		Hn
 	NI	Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique	Hi
 	NB	Helvetica-Narrow-Bold		Hb
 	NX	Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique	Hx
 	ZC	ZapfChancery-MediumItalic
 	ZD	ZapfDingbats			Z1, Z2 (see Note 1)
 	X	NewCenturySchlbk-Roman		NR
 	XI	NewCenturySchlbk-Italic		NI
 	XB	NewCenturySchlbk-Bold		NB
 	XX	NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic	NX

Note 1

	The font ZapfDingbats is divided into two troff fonts, Z1 and Z2,
	where Z2 is the upper 128 characters shifted onto the lower 128
	characters. This allows ditroff access to characters with codes
	greater than 127.

--
Jim Ingram	          uunet!h-three!jimi | jimi%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation   P.O. Box 12557 RTP NC 27709   919 549 8334

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (10/13/88)

>In article <1221@tmpmbx.UUCP>, csch@tmpmbx.UUCP (Clemens Schrimpe) writes:
>> jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
>> <> Can anybody give me some suggestions about the two-letter fontnames for

Instead of wasting a letter to indicate bold, italic, or both,
I used upper/lower case to differentiate these variations in JetRoff.

	xx	'normal'
	Xx	bold		(capitalized looks kind of Bold)
	xX	italic		(looks a little slanted, don't you think)
	XX	bold italic

For backwards compatability, I kept R, B, I, H, HB, HI, CW, and S.
But I think for the future it makes much more sense to use the
two letters for the name, and the case for the style.

It's too bad so much of the name space has already been wasted...
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.
		rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

In article <379@h-three.UUCP>, jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) writes:
> In article <1221@tmpmbx.UUCP>, csch@tmpmbx.UUCP (Clemens Schrimpe) writes:
> > jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
> > <> Can anybody give me some suggestions about the two-letter fontnames for
> > <> [di]troff that I should assign to the 35 built-in fonts of the Apple
> > <> LaserWriter IINTX? Of course I can define some (sometimes even
> > <> reasonable) names, but I want to use standards as much as possible.
> >
> > [deleted]
>
> It's hard to argue, except "religiously," in favor of one [set of
> names] or [another]; this is a good example of a standard that's
> really needed. Any standards groups want to make this an ANSI/ISO
> standard?

I really should have put a *8^) after the preceding paragraph in my
specifies troff font names, especially since what a font name means
on one device might name an different font on another device (e.g.,
does HO stand for Helvetica Outline or Helvetica Oblique? On a
phototypesetter I use, Helvetica Oblique is called Triumvarate
Italic.).  Since it's so easy in troff to map one font name to another
name or number, font names need not be an obstacle in the exchange
of revisable form troff documents.

> > [table of font names deleted]

One standard that might make sense is for the set of special character
names that might occur in a troff rf document. It's inconvenient to
use PostScript's native method of character encoding in troff documents,
and it's inconvenient to map one set of character names to another. The
characters I'm thinking about include the fairly standardized set of
names for typographical symbols, the national characters, math symbols,
etc. Such a standard needn't apply only to PostScript output devices.

This discussion is moving away from PostScript. Perhaps it should
continue, if at all, in comp.text.

--

rodgers@cca.ucsf.edu (Rick Rodgers) (10/15/88)

In article <379@h-three.UUCP> jimi@h-three.UUCP (jimi) writes:
>In article <1221@tmpmbx.UUCP>, csch@tmpmbx.UUCP (Clemens Schrimpe) writes:
>> jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
>> <> Can anybody give me some suggestions about the two-letter fontnames for
>> <> [di]troff that I should assign to the 35 built-in fonts of the Apple
>> <> LaserWriter IINTX? Of course I can define some (sometimes even reasonable)
>> <> names, but I want to use standards as much as possible.

Another convention to consider is that of Adobe Systems, creators of TranScript.
I append a table taken from a man page I wrote which I believe has been
incorporated in modified form into TranScript.  The naming convention is NOT
mine; I bridled against it at first, but now find it sensible; the regular font
is 2 lower-case letters; the bold version capitalizes the first, italic
capitalizes the second, and bold-italic cpaitalizes both.  The exceptions
are the Times fonts and Courier, as an earlier usage is so well entrenched.
I include some notes about ditroff font bugs bugs and work-arounds.

PostScript Name		C*	PostScript Name			C*
---------------		--	---------------			--
AvantGarde-Book		ag	Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique	hN
AvantGarde-BookOblique	aG	Helvetica-Narrow-Bold		Hn
AvantGarde-Demi		Ag	Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique	HN
AvantGarde-DemiOblique	AG	NewCenturySchlbk-Roman		nc
Bookman-Light		bo	NewCenturySchlbk-Italic		nC
Bookman-Italic		bO	NewCenturySchlbk-Bold		Nc
Bookman-Demi		Bo	NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic	NC
Bookman-DemiItalic	BO	Palatino-Roman			pa
Courier			C	Palatino-Italic			pA
Courier-Oblique		CO	Palatino-Bold			Pa
Courier-Bold		CB	Palatino-BoldItalic		PA
Courier-BoldOblique	CD	Symbol				S
Helvetica		he	Times-Roman			R
Helvetica-Oblique	hE	Times-Italic			I
Helvetica-Bold		He	Times-Bold			B
Helvetica-BoldOblique	HE	Times-BoldItalic		BI
Helvetica-Narrow	nh	ZapfChancery-MediumItalic	ZC
				ZapfDingbats			ZD
-------------------
* ditroff font code

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT DITROFF USAGE (BUG WORK-AROUNDS)
AT&T and Berkeley-enhanced device-independent troff(1),
or ditroff(1L), as accessed in TrnaScript by the psroff(1L)
command,  exhibit the following problems regarding font changes:

1) There are 10 premounted fonts, corresponding to font codes
R I B BI H He C CB S in the above chart, and including a special
extension to the S font known as SS (this extension set is never
accessed directly as an independent font and therefore does not appear in the
table).  These fonts are mounted in positions 1 through 10; fonts other
than these can be EXPLICITLY MOUNTED in any numerical position with the
ditroff(1L) .fp command (avoid using positions 9 and 10 which are
occupied by the S and SS font sets).
The amount of memory available for a given font position is fixed
(during the initialization of ditroff(1L)) to the size of the font
first mounted there; if a later attempt is made to mount a larger font in this
position, ditroff(1L) prints an error message about the requested font
being too large for the position.  The positions initially occupied by the
Courier fonts (positions 7 and 8) seem particularly prone to this problem,
which can be minimized by explicitly mounting a font prior to its use, into
a position occupied by a large font.  For example, the Zapf Chancery font
can be mounted in position 6 with the command: .fp 6 ZC.  The font
position MUST be between 1 and 10.

2) If an unmounted font is requested via a ditroff(1L) \f
command, it is automatically mounted into a special font position numbered 0.
(I will refer to this process as IMPLICITLY MOUNTING a font).
The font size problem can also arise, in which case explicitly mounting the
needed font (into position 6, for example) can again solve the problem.

3) There is a bug in ditroff(1L) such that use of more than one
implicitly mounted font within the same output line causes the incorrect
font metrics to be used (causing incorrect character spacing).  The solution
to this problem is to explicitly mount each font to be used prior to using
the \f command.

4) Beware of some earlier versions of psdit(1L), in which characters
appearing immediately prior to the implicit mounting of a font may be
printed over one another.

5) There is an (as yet poorly characterized) bug in Berkeley ditroff(1L)
which causes incorrect fonts to be employed when explicitly mounted fonts
are mounted implicitly.  For example, mounting the Times Roman font in
position 2 can lead to this problem.  The problem appears to arise when
the \fP command is subsequently used (the system does not return to
the correct previous font). However, maneuvers such as mounting hn onto
position 2 (normally employed by Times Italic),  and then later
remounting I onto position 2, seem to work.