[comp.lang.postscript] GoScript Information Needed

ronnie@edge.UUCP (Ronnie Coffin) (10/20/88)

Has anyone had any experiences or comments regarding the new software called
"GoScript", which I've seen advertised in recent PC magazines?

It appears to be a postscripot interpreter which would allow you to convert
postscript programs so that you can print them on a non-postscript Hewlett-
Packard laser printer.  Since a postscript upgrade for most lasers costs
about $1600 and GoScript sells for $195, this might be a very worthwhile
product if it truly works.  There most recent ad shows outline fonts and
their availability on a wide-variety of printers.

I would appreciate anyones experiences or further and more detailed
information on this product.

--
=====\\ \\    | Ronnie Coffin					|
===== \\ \\   | System Administrator   				|

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (10/20/88)

In article <1292@edge.UUCP> ronnie@edge.UUCP (Ronnie Coffin) writes:
>Has anyone had any experiences or comments regarding the new software called
>"GoScript", which I've seen advertised in recent PC magazines?

	(comments on cost advantage deleted)

>I would appreciate anyones experiences or further and more detailed
>information on this product.

GoScript works, and is apparently a full implementation of the
PostScript language (modulo the fact that it uses BitStream's fonts,
rather than Adobe's, so some of the character widths may not be
identical). I have seen it running on an IBM PC hooked up to a
LaserJet, a random HP plotter (I don't recall the model -- 74XX
series), and an Epson LQ1500. The current version supports the B&W
model; a color version supporting the full color model for color
printers is in beta-test.

The only things that detract from its general utility are that 1) it
ties up your machine while it's running (all of the processing is
handled by your CPU), and 2) it's _slow_ (making the first more
annoying). A complex page can take up to 45 minutes to process. It
_does_, however, use a math coprocessor if it finds one, so scaling
and rotating doesn't put as much of a penalty on the processing time
as it does for a Laserwriter.

One personal peeve I have is that it doesn't yet support the 360x360
dpi resolution for my NEC CP6, so I would have to fall back on the 240x240
Epson-compatible resolution.

Overall, if you aren't worried about the additional time that printing
an image takes, I would recommend that you go ahead and get a copy.

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Daniel Smith) (10/21/88)

In article <1292@edge.UUCP> ronnie@edge.UUCP (Ronnie Coffin) writes:
>Has anyone had any experiences or comments regarding the new software called
>"GoScript", which I've seen advertised in recent PC magazines?
>
>It appears to be a postscripot interpreter which would allow you to convert
>postscript programs so that you can print them on a non-postscript Hewlett-
>Packard laser printer.  Since a postscript upgrade for most lasers costs
>about $1600 and GoScript sells for $195, this might be a very worthwhile
>product if it truly works.  There most recent ad shows outline fonts and
>their availability on a wide-variety of printers.

The November Issue of Byte has a review of two or three PostScript
interpreters.  Their basic conclusion was that they are cheap, but
very, very SLOW.
J. Daniel Smith                           smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University

"An average English word is four letters and a half.  By hard, honest
labor I've dug all the large words out of my vocabulary and shaved it
down till the average is three and a half..."
      Mark Twain

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (10/21/88)

I read somewhere that GoScript didn't emulate some ps functions.  Sorry, I
don't recall any more details.

Has anyone done anything with gnu ghostscript?  In particular, I'd like
to see it produce a 300 dpi bitmap that can be downloaded to a HP LaserJet.

--
Jon Zeeff      			Ann Arbor, MI
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us