[comp.lang.postscript] PS screen fonts with MS-Windows

cie590l@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (10/21/88)

Does anyone know how to get hold of the Adobe screen fonts which correspond
to the built-in fonts in Postscript printers. I am particularly interested in
the use of these screen fonts with Microsoft Windows. I have it on good auth-
ority that these screen fonts have been placed in the Adobe Forum on
the Compuserve Information service by Adobe themselves. There is also an
installation program called PSDOWN.EXE.

Are the fonts available on this network, or available from Adobe's file
server? Does someone in Australia have a copy?

Thanks,
Roger Hadgraft,
Lecturer in Civil Engineering,
Monash University, Clayton, Vic. 3168. Australia.
hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au@munnari.oz

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (10/25/88)

In article <293@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> cie590l@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>Does anyone know how to get hold of the Adobe screen fonts which correspond
>to the built-in fonts in Postscript printers. I am particularly interested in
>the use of these screen fonts with Microsoft Windows. I have it on good auth-
>ority that these screen fonts have been placed in the Adobe Forum on
>the Compuserve Information service by Adobe themselves. There is also an
>installation program called PSDOWN.EXE.
>
>Are the fonts available on this network, or available from Adobe's file
>server? Does someone in Australia have a copy?
>
>Thanks,
>Roger Hadgraft,

	I had the same problem using actor in MS-WINDOWS. I used the
Hershey fonts available from UUNET. I re-encoded these fonts and wrote
a font system that handled these fonts in the same manner as postscript.
The main addition was an assotiated scaling matrix with the font
which consisted of an 6 element array of the form:

	[ xx xy yx yy cx cx]

which corresponds to postript's format. The Actor code does little good in
helping you with your C programming but these Ideas should
help. If you do not have access to UUNET, talk to your local network
administrator, I do not have time to be a font distributer.

	The Hershey fonts match most of the popular Adobe fonts. As I
remeber the Hershey fonts are in volume 4 of the UUNET archives.

					JonnyG.