[comp.lang.postscript] want dvi to postscript translator that uses built-in fonts

buster@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Paul Buster) (10/21/88)

I've installed TeX on a Unix machine and I currently use dvi2ps.  What
I've been trying to make work is a psdvi program that came the TeX tape.
psdvi includes .tfm files for the adobe fonts and the LN03R and LPS40
printers have 29 fonts built-in, but my output looks like one point high
characters (properly formatted).  I've tried messing with the magstep in
my TeX source, the "correction factor" in the psdvi source, and the
postscript prolog file without getting the desired results.

Though I use the write-white fonts for the LN03 with dvi2ps, the built-in
fonts look cleaner to me.  There's also the difference in file size between
psdvi and dvi2ps that concerns me.  I'd appreciate any (reasonable) hints.

-Paul Buster
buster@tramp.colorado.edu

zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (10/21/88)

In article <4199@boulder.Colorado.EDU> buster@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Paul Buster) writes:

>I've installed TeX on a Unix machine and I currently use dvi2ps.  What
>I've been trying to make work is a psdvi program that came the TeX tape.
>psdvi includes .tfm files for the adobe fonts and the LN03R and LPS40
>printers have 29 fonts built-in, but my output looks like one point high
>characters (properly formatted).  I've tried messing with the magstep in
>my TeX source, the "correction factor" in the psdvi source, and the
>postscript prolog file without getting the desired results.

I think you have missed the obvious. Your files are coming out in the
printer's default font (one-point Courier) because you are asking for
fonts it doesn't have built-in -- the CMR fonts. What you need to do
is use the Adobe fonts *in your document*. We handle this by building
a new fonts.tex and lfonts.tex and making a pstex and a pslatex that
have Adobe fonts (Times Roman, I'n afraid) instead of CMR. It's a simple
application of search-and-replace. You could also just ask for the fonts
in your document or in a header file if you didn't wish to build a whole
new TeX.

> There's also the difference in file size between
>psdvi and dvi2ps that concerns me.

The difference in file size is caused by a complete difference in method
of construction. dvi2ps has to dump the font and the data; psdvi dumps
only the data. Some versions of dvi2ps dump the entire page as a bitmap,
even.

NOTE: There are several programs known as dvi2ps, and there may now
be several psdvis as well. The differences can be extremely significant.
I am assuming that you are using the psdvi written here by Clayton Elwell,
possibly with modifications; it certainly is an error that people get a lot
here. (The opposite error, in which  people use pslatex and then dvi2ps,
gives equally unreadable output; dvi2ps substitutes the font closest in
alphabetical order which is circle font. Fascinating, but illegible.)

	Elizabeth Zwicky
	zwicky@cis.ohio-state.edu
	{pyramid, killer}!osu-cis!tut!zwicky

jmr@nada.kth.se (Jan Michael Rynning) (11/01/88)

In article <4199@boulder.Colorado.EDU> buster@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Paul Buster) writes:

>I've installed TeX on a Unix machine and I currently use dvi2ps.  What
>I've been trying to make work is a psdvi program that came the TeX tape.
>psdvi includes .tfm files for the adobe fonts and the LN03R and LPS40
>printers have 29 fonts built-in, but my output looks like one point high
>characters (properly formatted).  I've tried messing with the magstep in
>my TeX source, the "correction factor" in the psdvi source, and the
>postscript prolog file without getting the desired results.

I've seen the ``one point high, properly formatted characters'' problem on a
TeX system where you had to specify ``\font\xxx=Times-Roman at 10pt'' to get
that size. Just ``\font\xxx=Times-Roman'' would give you 1pt size characters
on that system.

Jan Michael Rynning,			jmr@nada.kth.se
Department of Numerical Analysis	If you can't fully handle domains:
  and Computing Science,		ARPA: jmr%nada.kth.se@uunet.uu.net
Royal Institute of Technology,		UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,...}!nada.kth.se!jmr
S-100 44 Stockholm,			BITNET: jmr@sekth
Sweden.					Phone: +46-8-7906288

brian@topaz.jpl.nasa.gov (Brian of ASTD-CP) (11/08/88)

I saw a PostScript film recorder at SigGraph in Atlanta in August 88.
It is produced by Mirus Corp, costs about $5K, hooks to a Mac, and
has 8Kdots/inch, or maybe that was 4Kdots/inch (what's the grain size
of 35mm film anyway?).  Sorry, I don't have address or phone #'s for
Mirus -- I just remember the name of the company.

BCBeckman
brian@topaz.jpl.nasa.gov