[comp.lang.postscript] Information Requested

ravi@mupsy.UUCP (Ravi Ramaswamy ) (10/31/88)

We have just installed an Apollo Domain network with a
couple of DN3000s and 4000s running AEGIS and DOMAIN/IX.
An Apple LaserWriter Plus (which I understand has a
built-in Postscript interpreter) is used to print most
of our documentation generated with nroff/fmt.

We are looking for software that would allow us to generate
and view postscript files before they are sent to the laser
printer. Public-domain or low-cost software is probably what we
could afford, but information on all the products that are
available will be greatly appreciated.

I'll post a summary if there's enough to summarise.

Please mail me at: rr@uk.ac.umist.computation.vaxa

Thanks in advance,

Ravi Ramaswamy.

oliveria@caen.engin.umich.edu (ROQUE DONIZETE DE OLIVEIRA) (11/08/88)

From article <508@mupsy.UUCP>, by ravi@mupsy.UUCP (Ravi Ramaswamy ):
> We have just installed an Apollo Domain network with a
> couple of DN3000s and 4000s running AEGIS and DOMAIN/IX.
> We are looking for software that would allow us to generate
> and view postscript files before they are sent to the laser printer.
> Please mail me at: rr@uk.ac.umist.computation.vaxa
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ravi Ramaswamy.

   My 2 attempts to mail to the originator failed. Here it goes.

   I installed Crispin Goswel's postscript interpreter/
previewer in our apollo network about 3 months ago.
It wasn't difficult to install and it works well.
   The problems I have with it is that it
crashes if you mistype the name of a postscript operator
(example, newpaht instead of newpath), it doesn't handle
greek fonts (they are mapped onto another font), it doesn't
preview postscript files created by Latex, Excel, Cricketgraph,
MacDraw. It previews "well behaved" self-contained  postscript files.
   You can interactively write and preview postscript programs.
   It is a must for a beginner in postscript programming (unles
you have countless hours to waste and plenty of paper and a
postscript printer).
   The original posting by Crispin Goswell can be found
in volume 12 of comp.sources.unix . At the  uunet.uu.net
site they are in the directory comp.sources.unix/volume12
       postscript  (18 parts) A PostScript interpreter

   I include below some information from the author:
From caag@vd.rl.ac.UK Wed Feb 17 07:03:51 1988
From: caag@vd.rl.ac.UK (Crispin Goswell)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Free PostScript Interpreter
Date: 17 Feb 88 12:03:51 GMT
Sender: usenet@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

My PostScript previewer was posted to comp.sources.unix before Christmas.

Unfortunately, I let it out with a makefile set up to use a local graphics
library available only to UK Academics (WW).
If you 'make sunPS', it makes a version for sun displays which writes
straight on the frame buffer.
I have posted a driver written by Terry Weissman for X11 to comp.sources.unix,
which should appear shortly.

In the US, the interpreter can be FTPed from:

mimsy.umd.edu (Milnet East coast)

and

parcvax.xerox.com (Arpanet, west coast).

called:

PSPreviewer.tar.Z (compressed tar format).

Ftpable copies are available in England from the Shareware sites:

	uk.ac.ukc|University of Kent at Canterbury Computer Lab:
		address=info-server@ukc.ac.uk:mode=automatic:type=1

Other sites may have copies.

- Crispin Goswell

     A few months later Henk Tullemans posted an apollo driver.
Part of his posting follows:

From: tullemns@nvpna1.UUCP ( Henk Tullemans 43761)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Apollo Driver for PostScript Interpreter
Date: 1 Jun 88 00:18:30 GMT

The following archive contains an Apollo driver for the PostScript Interpreter
written by Crispin Goswell, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory. The Apollo driver
can be found in the file hard.c.

  Later, 2 patches were posted by John G. Myers .
They can be found in the archives of comp.sources.misc .
At the uunet.uu.net site they are in the directory
comp.sources.misc/psinter . The headings of this posting
in comp.sources.misc follows:

From: jgm@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (John Myers)
Newsgroups: comp.sources.misc
Subject: v04i006: Postscript interpreter patches (1 of 2)
Date: 28 Jul 88 23:41:41 GMT
Sender: allbery@ncoast.UUCP

Posting-number: Volume 4, Issue 6
Submitted-by: "John Myers" <jgm@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu>
Archive-name: psinter-patch1

    To install it, I suggest you get the original posting, then
the apollo driver, then apply the patches.

    Roque D. Oliveira
    oliveria@caen.engin.umich.edu