[comp.lang.postscript] What angle do Times-Ital. and Palatino-Ital. slant at?

kibo@pawl17.pawl.rpi.edu (James Parry) (11/23/88)

[]
	I want to slant Times-Italic and Palatino-Italic backwards by
 whatever angle they normally slant at - to produce unslanted "curly"
 versions of them (like 'cmu' in TeX.)  Does anyone know what angle
 these two fonts slant at normally?  (Many thanks.)

 --
 James "Kibo" Parry
 userfe0n@rpitsmts (bitnet)

funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (11/23/88)

+-In article <1822@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, James "Kibo" Parry wrote:-
+----------

| 	I want to slant Times-Italic and Palatino-Italic backwards by
|  whatever angle they normally slant at - to produce unslanted "curly"
|  versions of them (like 'cmu' in TeX.)  Does anyone know what angle
|  these two fonts slant at normally?  (Many thanks.)
|
|  userfe0n@rpitsmts (bitnet)
|  userfe0n%mts.rpi.edu@itsgw.rpi.edu (internet)
+----------

  Do remember that the final arbitrer of everything you do in PostScript is
whether or not it _looks_ good.  Precision doesn't matter.  If I were you I
would have skipped posting this particular request, and just gone and hacked
at it (using different degrees of de-slant) until I got it _looking_ good.
Matter of fact, I may go do just that...

--
 /|\ /|\   .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
| |\| |\|  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
|/|\|/|\|/||   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: funkstr@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
  | |/| |/|L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_) (_ || )(_)_)UUCP: *!ucbvax!ucscb!funkstr
   \|/ \|/ larry      /   hastings        _/   WORK: sun!acad!metaware!funkster
MetaWare Incorporated   Disclaimer: It was a bad day.
"If any of your OSF force are caught or killed, the Secretary will deny any
 knowlege of your activities."  --from the new Mission: Impractical

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (11/24/88)

From article <5571@saturn.ucsc.edu>, by funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-):
" +-In article <1822@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, James "Kibo" Parry wrote:-
" +----------
" |
" | 	I want to slant Times-Italic and Palatino-Italic backwards by
" |  whatever angle they normally slant at - to produce unslanted "curly"
" ...
"   Do remember that the final arbitrer of everything you do in PostScript is
" whether or not it _looks_ good.  Precision doesn't matter.  If I were you I

For the precision freaks, .afm files have a field describing the slant.
Palatino-Italic.afm has:
ItalicAngle -10.0
and Times-Italic.afm has:
ItalicAngle -15.5

I think the figure given is degrees measured counterclockwise from
the vertical.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

geof@apolling (Geof Cooper) (11/28/88)

In article <1822@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kibo () writes:
>[]
>	I want to slant Times-Italic and Palatino-Italic backwards by
> whatever angle they normally slant at - to produce unslanted "curly"
> versions of them (like 'cmu' in TeX.)  Does anyone know what angle
> these two fonts slant at normally?  (Many thanks.)

Look at the ItalicAngle entry in the FontInfo sub-dictionary of the
font dict.  Should do the trick.  The obvious answer is to write PS code
that reads that dict entry, but here are some of the values you will
find:

	LubalinGraph-BookOblique:		-10.0
	Bookman-LightItalic:			-10.0
	Times-Italic:				-15.5
	Times-BoldItalic:			-15.5
	Bookman-DemiItalic:			-10.0
	Helvetica-LightOblique:			-12.0
	LucidaSans-Typewriter-Oblique:		-11.25
	LucidaSans-Typewriter-BoldOblique:	-11.25
	Helvetica-Oblique:			-12.0
	Helvetica-BoldOblique:			-12.0
	Lucida-Italic:				-11.25
	Souvenir-LightItalic:			-10.0
	Lucida-BoldItalic:			-11.25
	Courier-Oblique:			-12.0
	Courier-BoldOblique:			-12.0
	AvantGarde-DemiOblique:			-10.5
	Souvenir-DemiItalic:			-10.0
	Garamond-LightItalic:			-16.0
	AvantGarde-BookOblique:			-10.5
	Optima-Oblique:				-11.0
	Optima-BoldOblique:			-11.0
	LucidaSans-Italic:			-11.25
	LucidaSans-BoldItalic:			-11.25
	Garamond-BoldItalic:			-16.0
	NewCenturySchlbk-Italic:		-16.0
	NewCenturySchlbk-BoldItalic:		-16.0
	Helvetica-BlackOblique:			-10.0
	LubalinGraph-DemiOblique:		-10.0
	Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique:		-12.0
	Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique:		-12.0
	Palatino-Italic:			-10.0
	Palatino-BoldItalic:			-10.0

- Geof

jaa@basser.oz (James Ashton) (11/28/88)

The exact slope used varies from character to character over quite a
range for the italics fonts which are not after all like oblique
fonts but are separately created.  For Times Italic the angle of
the pipe symbol comes out with the help of some simple trigonometry
at 15.5 degrees.  For Palatino Italic it's not so easy as the pipe
symbol is not sloped at all.  This in itself could be a problem if
you plan to simply change the font transformation matrix to reverse
the slope as then this symbol will be sloped backwards.  I looked
at the longest straight sections I could find on several of the
brackets and `I' and 'H' characters but surprisingly there was
large variation even within the characters and sections which appear
to the eye to be straight are in fact curved.  The character which
has the longest straight line is the paragraph marker and its
slope was 8.3 degrees.

I can't understand why you would want to do what you want to do
but looking at a range of characters in both fonts, the actual
slope varies over range of about three degrees depending on the
character.

						James Ashton.

rob@array.UUCP (Rob Marchand) (11/30/88)

In article <1822@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kibo () writes:
>[]
>	I want to slant Times-Italic and Palatino-Italic backwards by
> whatever angle they normally slant at - to produce unslanted "curly"
> versions of them (like 'cmu' in TeX.)  Does anyone know what angle
> these two fonts slant at normally?  (Many thanks.)

	The information you want is in the Adobe Font Metric (AFM)
	files.  These are available (or were in any case) from the
	Adobe file server (send a message containing the word 'help'
	to ps-file-server@adobe.com).  The format of these files is
	described in the Adobe document
		AFM Files: An Interchange Format for PostScript
		Font Metric (v2.0)
	These files include a field called ItalicAngle; here's
	an example....

#------- Cut Here -------- Cut Here -------- Cut Here -------- Cut Here --------
StartFontMetrics 2.0
Comment Copyright (c) 1984 Adobe Systems Incorporated. 	All Rights Reserved.
Comment Creation Date:Sun Feb 8 03:54:53 PST 1987
FontName Times-Italic
EncodingScheme AdobeStandardEncoding
FullName Times Italic
FamilyName Times
Weight Medium
ItalicAngle -15.5                              <---- Italic Angle
IsFixedPitch false
UnderlinePosition -96
UnderlineThickness 48
Version 001.002
Notice Times is a trademark of Allied Corporation.
FontBBox -176 -252 990 930
CapHeight 660
XHeight 446
Descender -206
Ascender 684
StartCharMetrics 228
  .         .        .
  .         .        .
  .         .        .
EndFontMetrics
#------- Cut Here -------- Cut Here -------- Cut Here -------- Cut Here --------

	The AFM document describes ItalicAngle as 'Global Font
	Information', and is  (I quote :-)
	  "Angle (in degrees counter-clockwise from the vertical)
	   of the dominant vertical strokes of the font."

	Hope that this helps!

		Cheers,
		Rob Marchand
		rob@array.UUCP
--
Rob Marchand                   UUCP  : {mnetor,utzoo}!lsuc!array!rob
Array Systems Computing        ARPA  : rob%array.UUCP@uunet.UU.NET