[comp.lang.postscript] a question - please help

israel@trex.rutgers.edu (Izzy Nelken) (12/11/88)

A graphics program we use (MATLAB) generates graphic outputs. These
may be saved onto a file. The usual procedure we follow in order
to print these files on a postscript printer is:

1) generate the matlab file:   xxxx.met
2) use the command
gpp -dps xxxx
which converts xxxx.met into xxxx.ps
3) use the lpr command to print the xxxx.ps file

now i have a complicated graph whose postscript file is
of length 708296 and the printer refuses to print it
(presumably because it's too long).

====> IS THERE A WAY TO PRINT SUCH A POSTSCRIPT FILE?

please send answers to me since i don't usually read this newsgroup.

Thank you very much,

Izzy Nelken
Dept. of Computer Science
Hill Center, Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ 08903
(201) 932-4714

israel@aramis.rutgers.edu

edwards@bgsuvax.UUCP (Ken Jenkins) (12/11/88)

In article <Dec.10.17.09.43.1988.9281@trex.rutgers.edu>, israel@trex.rutgers.edu (Izzy Nelken) writes:

> A graphics program we use (MATLAB) generates graphic outputs. These
> may be saved onto a file. The usual procedure we follow in order
> to print these files on a postscript printer is:
>
> 1) generate the matlab file:   xxxx.met
> 2) use the command
> gpp -dps xxxx
> which converts xxxx.met into xxxx.ps
> 3) use the lpr command to print the xxxx.ps file
>
> now i have a complicated graph whose postscript file is
> of length 708296 and the printer refuses to print it
> (presumably because it's too long).
>
> ====> IS THERE A WAY TO PRINT SUCH A POSTSCRIPT FILE?
>
> israel@aramis.rutgers.edu

It would help to know the kind of error which is being generated.
PS files theoretically can be "infinite" in length since they
are ultimately "fodder" for an interpreter. I suspect what has
happened (since a long file is most likely to be a complex one
as well) is that you have exceeded the VM (virtual memory) limitation
of your printer.

Disclaimer: My name is Ken Jenkins and I am here as a guest of Bruce Edwards
            to whom this account belongs. Although he may be interested or even
            amused by my ramblings, he should not be held accountable for them
            in any way.
Ken Jenkins (as a guest of Bruce Edwards)    CSNET: edwards@bgsu.edu
                                           ARPANET: edwards@andy.bgsu.edu
                                              UUCP: ..!osu-cis!bgsuvax!edwards