[net.micro] FidoMail Access

jmw@sdchem.UUCP (John M. Wright) (05/01/86)

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can access/use/subscribe to
FidoMail?  Is a specific computer and/or terminal software
necessary?

	Snail:				John Wright
					Chem. Dept. (B-014)
					UCSD
					La Jolla, CA 92093

	Bit/ARPA net:				jmw%chem@sdcsvax.arpa
	uucp:				...!sdcsvax!sdchem!jmw

LENOIL@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert S. Lenoil) (05/07/86)

FidoMail is gatewayed to uucp.  Send to:
ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!net_number!machine_number!username

Sorry, I don't have any more details.

-Robert Lenoil
uucp: mit-eddie!lenoil
arpa: lenoil@eddie.mit.edu
-------

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (05/08/86)

In article <203@sdchema.sdchem.UUCP> jmw@sdchema.UUCP (John M. Wright) writes:

>Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can access/use/subscribe to
>FidoMail?  Is a specific computer and/or terminal software
>necessary?
>
>	Snail:				John Wright
>					Chem. Dept. (B-014)
>					UCSD
>					La Jolla, CA 92093
>
>	Bit/ARPA net:				jmw%chem@sdcsvax.arpa
>	uucp:				...!sdcsvax!sdchem!jmw

Fidomail is the networked portion of FIDONET, which is made up of about 860
(at this moment) privately owned PCs (DEC, IBM, TANDY, etc) which are running
FIDO software.  A FIDO node operates as a regular BBS during the day, allowing
users to exchange messages and upload and download files.  During scheduled
periods, ALL FIDONET nodes switch into FIDOMAIL mode, and exchange both
messages and files with other nodes, around the world.

If there is interest, I will build a list of all of the nodes and post it to
the net.  To conserve space, I will compress and uuencode it.

As for accessing the net, all you need is a terminal or terminal software and
a modem.  Most FIDO nodes support 300/1200/2400 baud.

Kurt Reisler
SYSOP:

                     _
The World's First   /  \		Whose dog is that?
   BBS Network     /|oo \		I don't know, but the disk is yours.
   * FidoNet *    (_|  /_)
                   _`@/_ \    _	        The Bear's Den FIDO 109/74
                  |     | \   \\		(703) 671-0598
                  | (*) |  \   ))	Wash-A-RUG     FIDO 109/483
     ______       |__U__| /  \//		(703) 359-6549
    / Fido \       _//|| _\   /
   (________)     (_/(_|(____/ (jm)

pwv@fluke.UUCP (05/15/86)

In article <642@brl-smoke.ARPA> 9/24/84; (Robert S. Lenoil) writes:
>FidoMail is gatewayed to uucp.  Send to:
>ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!net_number!machine_number!username
>
>Sorry, I don't have any more details.

O.K.  How 'bout the other way?  (How) Can someone send mail FROM FidoNet TO
USENET?

--

   Pat Vilbrandt
   John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (05/16/86)

In article <200@escher.fluke.UUCP> pwv@fluke writes:
>In article <642@brl-smoke.ARPA> 9/24/84; (Robert S. Lenoil) writes:
>>FidoMail is gatewayed to uucp.  Send to:
>>ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!net_number!machine_number!username
>>
>>Sorry, I don't have any more details.
In particular, most Fido sysops don't send messages for free - the sysop
of spark may want remuneration for the phone calls.  Truly a 'poster pays'
system.

>O.K.  How 'bout the other way?  (How) Can someone send mail FROM FidoNet TO
>USENET?
One would presumably send fidomail to node 'spark', with the proper routing
information in the address or subject line.   Now I don't have any details.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@c.cs.cmu.edu		Phone: (412)CMU-BUGS

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/24/86)

In article <200@escher.fluke.UUCP> pwv@fluke.UUCP writes:
>In article <642@brl-smoke.ARPA> 9/24/84; (Robert S. Lenoil) writes:
>>FidoMail is gatewayed to uucp.  Send to:
>>ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!net_number!machine_number!username
>
>O.K.  How 'bout the other way?  (How) Can someone send mail FROM FidoNet TO
>USENET?

The following was downloaded from a local Fido. It is presented with the
usual caveats:
                       The UN*X Gateway is Complete!
                              by Bob Hartman
                            Sysop Fido 132/101
                           The UN*X Gateway BBS

                This is the news you UN*X hackers have been waiting
        for - the UN*X Gateway BBS is now capable of sending FidoNet
        mail on to UN*X systems as well as receiving UN*X mail to be
        sent via FidoNet!  In the past only the latter (UN*X->Fido)
        was working.  In order to use the gateway you must do the
        following:

        Sending Fido to UN*X:

        1.  Send a FidoNet message addressed to "Usenet" on the UN*X
            Gateway Fido (132/101).  The addressee of Usenet is what
            the system keys on, so make sure you get it right!

        2.  The first line of the message must be the UN*X UUCP path
            to be used to send the message.  This must be the only
            thing on the first line!  The path does not have to be
            complete as the host will try to figure out the best
            routing for the message, but the addresses to major hosts
            would be:

                encore!decvax
            or  encore!decvax!ucbvax
            or  encore!ihnp4

            To send a message to me use "vaxine!rch"

        3.  The rest of the message can be any legal FidoNet message.

        4.  When a message meeting these requirements gets to the
            gateway, it is converted to UN*X format and sent to the
            host named 'vaxine'.  This UN*X host then sends the mail
            to the address given in the first line of the message.

        Sending UN*X to Fido:

        1.  Send UN*X mail to either

                decvax!encore!vaxine!spark!net!node!username
            or  ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!net!node!username

            where net is the FidoNet net number, node is the FidoNet
            node number, and username is the name of the person to
            receive the message with all spaces changed to the
            underscore (_) character.  The name cannot have any
            quote marks or other punctuation characters in it except
            for the underscore character!  If it does contain any
            punctuation marks, then a UN*X mailer somewhere will not
            properly process the mail and it will get returned as
            undeliverable.

        2.  When this message reaches the host 'vaxine', it is sent
            through a special mail processor that routes it to the
            gateway using Kermit.

        3.  Once it is received at the gateway, it is processed and
            changed into FidoNet mail to the appropriate person at
            the given Fido node.

        This gateway has been tested, but if you try it and notice
        something that seems to be wrong, please let me know so that
        I can try to fix it.