[comp.lang.postscript] PS to IBM3812 availability

abair@oakhill.UUCP (Alan Bair) (12/15/88)

The group I work in has switched from developing software and
documentation on the IBM mainframe to Suns and Apollos.  We still
have programs to support on all three, a problem but this inquiry
does not concern that.

We had used Script, troff like, on the IBM to write our documentation.
This would produce printed manuals on either the line printer(bad) or
the 3812, a laser printer.  Now on the Sun we are using FrameMaker,
which produces PS output to send to our LaserWriter.

I seem to remember that many months back there was a mention of a
conversion program to go from either DVI or PS(not sure which) to the
language used by the 3812(don't know what that is).  If anyone knows
about such code, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.  Since
we only do the conversion occasionaly, going from PS -> DVI -> 3812
would even be fine.

Again, thanks for any information.

Alan Bair
Motorola, Inc.
SPS CAD  Austin, Texas
UUCP cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!turbinia!abair

DBUECHNE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU (David Buechner) (12/17/88)

In article <1743@turbinia.oakhill.UUCP>, abair@oakhill.UUCP (Alan Bair) writes:
>I seem to remember that many months back there was a mention of a
>conversion program to go from either DVI or PS(not sure which) to the
>language used by the 3812(don't know what that is).  If anyone knows
>about such code, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it.  Since
>we only do the conversion occasionaly, going from PS -> DVI -> 3812
>would even be fine.

There is a PS -> IBM's AFP translator which is available as of last November.
This could be run through PSF driving the 3812 to do what you want.  If your
interested in more details please let me know.

Sorry I don't have program numbers available, but if you want them email me
and I'll look them up.

Dave Buechner
IBM Systems Programmer
Ga. Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, GA, USA
BITNET: DBUECHNE@GTRI01     Internet: dbuechne@gtri01.gatech.edu