[comp.lang.postscript] EPS on MS-DOS

fiasco@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Richard Gircy) (12/16/88)

I've had it, no more fooling around with gem and EPS.

Is there a MS-DOS (or UNIX) drawing package that produces
EPS files? Must be bona-fide EPS like that from Adobe Illustrator,
which as far as I know is available only for the MAC.

thanks in advance rich

alfred@dutesta.UUCP (Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser) (12/19/88)

|Is there a MS-DOS (or UNIX) drawing package that produces
|EPS files? Must be bona-fide EPS like that from Adobe Illustrator,
|which as far as I know is available only for the MAC.

Yes, there is a good package available. Try Lotus Freelance. It an object-
oriented graphics package and it is easy to learn. the only thing I don't
like: Lotus still uses a stupid menu-structure as in 1-2-3, but you'll
get used to that.

					Herman Adriani.

PS.
Lotus Freelance produces nearly everything you can imagine. We use it in
combination with Lotus Manuscript to produce documents and scriptions.
/                                                                             \
| Herman Adriani & Alfred Kayser: Computer fans especially from 24 pm to 7 am |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

tj@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Terry Jones) (12/19/88)

Adobe Illustrator for PC (Windows) will be available in the new year.
Micrografix designer exists now.
A thing called Corel Draw was seen here at a computer show. It looks
illustrator like for the PC but Corel in my experience just repackages
someone elses stuff and I know not who makes Corel Draw!

chane@mntgfx.mentor.com (Chane Cullens SPD Engr 526-5267) (12/20/88)

From article <e0EbQ77kCJ1010nFS0o@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, by fiasco@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Richard Gircy):

> I've had it, no more fooling around with gem and EPS.
>
> Is there a MS-DOS (or UNIX) drawing package that produces
> EPS files? Must be bona-fide EPS like that from Adobe Illustrator,
> which as far as I know is available only for the MAC.
>
> thanks in advance rich
Micrografx Designer comes with a postscript printer driver that supports
the creation of EPS files.  I have used it several times to move pictures
from Designer and Microsoft Excel (they both run under Microsoft Windows)
to another machine that accepted EPS images.
Micrografx Designer is marketing as an "Adobe Illustrator" like propgram
for your 286 or 386 machine.
Just a happy user!   (Call 214-234-1769 Micrografx Sales in Richardson TX)

Chane Cullens              | USENET: chane@pdx.MENTOR.COM
(503) 626-7000 x2637 (day) |   UUCP: ...!mntgfx!bruceh
8500 SW Creekside Place    |  GENIE: CCULLENS

mdc@manimal.uucp (Mark D. Copple) (12/22/88)

In article <1988Dec19.091909.24405@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, tj@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Terry Jones) writes:
> Adobe Illustrator for PC (Windows) will be available in the new year.
> Micrografix designer exists now.
> A thing called Corel Draw was seen here at a computer show. It looks
> illustrator like for the PC but Corel in my experience just repackages
> someone elses stuff and I know not who makes Corel Draw!

There are als two programs from Computer Support Corporation called
ARTS & LETTERS Composer and
ARTS & LETTERS Editor
The composer comes with a library of object images that can be
manipulated in basic ways. The Editor allows you to modify existing
images in the libraries or creat your own and add them to your local
library. I have used both of these as well as MicroGrafix DRAW and
find all 3 very useful.
 All 3 of these run under windows and are supported by whatever
printer drivers are available. The editor allows you to save
encapsulated postscript rather nicely.
 There has been limited advertising outside of the DTP magazine world
but if you are interrested mail me a request and i can get you the
address.

--
* Mark D. Copple                          ||    Phone (408) 276-3154   *
* Sun microsystems (GSD)                  ||    All thoughts expressed *