[comp.lang.postscript] NeWS and DPS again

krempel@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Henry BJ Krempel) (12/23/88)

Newsgroups: comp.windows.news,comp.lang.postscript
Subject: Re: NeWS and DPS,  who wins?
--text follows this line--

I agree with the criticism of my original article as being biased, I
have not had any relations with Adobe, except in reading the materials
distributed with their products, which I find to be of high quality,
and very well documented. All of the article is mere conjecture.
You point out:

>An even better question is why Sun and Adobe didn't try to get together
>and work things out...

That is exactly what I was trying to encourage the two parties to do.
My article was meant to guess at some of the motivations behind the
current situation where both companies are not agreeing on a single
standard.

As far as your statements about the lack of a single standard
encouraging innovation,  this is also true.  But I don't have to point
out that window systems survive solely on the richness of the
applications available in them,  and small companies will not be too
enthusiastic about porting products to a PostScript window system,
unless they can write applications in a single portable syntax.
--
Henry B. J. Krempel        <krempel@pacrat.npac.syr.edu>
Computing and Network Services (CNS)