[comp.lang.postscript] Capture the PostScript output on a macintosh

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (12/22/88)

I remember sometimes ago, someone mentioned a Macintosh trick to redirect
the printing to a file.  I did not save that article.  Now, I like to
capture a PostScript output from a Macintosh application.  Can someone
tell me how to do it?

Thank you in advance.

--
.signature under construction ...

{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax!hpda}!nsc!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai
Daisy Systems Corp, 700B Middlefield Road, Mtn View CA 94039.  (415)960-6961

funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (12/23/88)

+-In article <2216@daisy.UUCP>, cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) wrote:-
+----------

| I remember sometimes ago, someone mentioned a Macintosh trick to redirect
| the printing to a file.  I did not save that article.  Now, I like to
| capture a PostScript output from a Macintosh application.  Can someone
| tell me how to do it?
|
| Thank you in advance.
|
| {cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,seismo!ihnp4,ucbvax!hpda}!nsc!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai
+----------

  This particular trick is an Apple developer secret.  The gentleman who told
me about this said it was used for debugging the printer driver, and was NOT
supported... in other words, it could go away in the next release (or maybe
it already has; I haven't used it for months).
  The trick is, just after you've clicked on "OK" to print (from the system
Printer window), type Option-D.  (The Option key is that funny looking key with
the ()_()
     |_|
    () () on it.)  It'll be sent to a file in the current folder, the name of
which eludes me (I think it resembles POSTSCRIPT.001 or something).

  Personally, I think that it SHOULD be supported, and should be documented.
Of course, I don't have much influence in this area, nor do I use a Mac...

--
 /|\ /|\   .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
| |\| |\|  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
|/|\|/|\|/||   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: funkstr@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
  | |/| |/|L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_) (_ || )(_)_)UUCP: *!ucbvax!ucscb!funkstr
   \|/ \|/ larry      /   hastings        _/   WORK: sun!acad!metaware!funkster
MetaWare Incorporated   Disclaimer: It was a bad day.
"If any of your OSF force are caught or killed, the Secretary will deny any
 knowlege of your activities."  --from the new Mission: Impractical

SCHWER@KL.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) (12/23/88)

	Just after you click on the OK button under the print menu,
	press the Command (flower/Apple) key and the F key, i.e. a
	Command-F. This will capture the PostScript in a file on the
	the desktop called PostScript0; the next file will be
	PostScript1, etc. A Command-H combined key will produce a
	file that contains the LaserPrep PostScript and the application
	specific PostScript.

	NOTE: You need to be quick in typing the Command-F after clicking
	      the OK button. You might try holding down the Command and
	      F keys before releasing the mouse button.

		Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
			--Len Schwer

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (12/24/88)

<5834@saturn.ucsc.edu>, funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-):
>   The trick is, just after you've clicked on "OK" to print (from the system
> Printer window), type Option-D.  (The Option key is that funny looking key with

(1) The funny looking key is usually called "Command".  There is another
key labelled "Option".

(2) I've always heard it as "Command-F" to dump the PostScript to a file
WITHOUT the LaserPrep prologue, and "Command-K" to dump WITH the prologue.
And that's the way it's worked on my "classic" Mac and SE, and the Pluses
and IIs at work from System 3.2 through System 6.0.2

Mike Khaw
--
internet: mkhaw@teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|ames|hplabs}!mkhaw%teknowledge.arpa

edwards@bgsuvax.UUCP (Ken Jenkins) (12/24/88)

In article <5834@saturn.ucsc.edu>, funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) writes:

>   This particular trick is an Apple developer secret.  The gentleman who told
> me about this said it was used for debugging the printer driver, and was NOT
> supported... in other words, it could go away in the next release (or maybe
> it already has; I haven't used it for months).
>   The trick is, just after you've clicked on "OK" to print (from the system
> Printer window), type Option-D.

Wrong. The required incantation is [cloverleaf] [F] or [cloverleaf] [K] not
[option] [D] after (and that is *immediately* after) clicking on the [OK]
button in the PRINT dialog box. The file produced is POSTSCRIPT 01 then 02
03 04 ....etc. for subsequent dumps.

[cloverleaf] [F] = just the "munged" bastardized QuikDraw that looks like PS
                   smells like PS, and feels likes PS but ain't really PS

[cloverleaf] [K] = the above with LaserPrep appended to the front .... BURP!

Have fun.

Disclaimer: My name is Ken Jenkins and I am here as a guest of Bruce Edwards
            to whom this account belongs. Although he may be interested or even
            amused by my ramblings, he should not be held accountable for them
            in any way.
   "Politics is ,in the ultimate analysis, religion applied to economics"
Ken Jenkins (as a guest of Bruce Edwards)    CSNET: edwards@bgsu.edu
                                           ARPANET: edwards@andy.bgsu.edu
                                              UUCP: ..!osu-cis!bgsuvax!edwards