[comp.lang.postscript] Linotronic on Ethernet?

pam@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (.) (12/22/88)

Anybody know anything about Linotronics?

If you added a Linotronic to a network of Macs on Ethernet, how would
you go about getting reasonable throughput to the thing?

The Linotronic has only 3 types of ports: RS-232, AppleTalk, and
a Centronics parallel port. It seems a shame to be able to zip data
data around on the Ethernet lan at 10Mbps, but then have it slow down
to a crawl across an Appletalk cable from the front-end Mac II to the
Linotronic...

Any ideas??

Is there a simple solution to this that I'm overlooking?

ath@helios.prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (12/24/88)

In article <2872@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> pam@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (.) writes:
>Anybody know anything about Linotronics?
>
>If you added a Linotronic to a network of Macs on Ethernet, how would
>you go about getting reasonable throughput to the thing?

I don't know if there is any way of attaching the Linotronic directly
to an Ethernet. You might be able to do it indirectly, though.

One solution might be to put some kind of bridge between the Ethernet
and the LocalTalk/AppleTalk.  Cayman Systems and Kinetics both seem to
have such bridges.
--
Anders Thulin			INET : ath@prosys.se
ProgramSystem AB		UUCP : ...!{uunet,mcvax}!enea!prosys!ath