[comp.lang.postscript] LaserWriterII

jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan) (01/06/89)

In article <7119@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:
>					-- I'm looking for fonts
>that offer things like Greek letters, math symbols, etc.)
>
>Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Pointer #1	The Greek letters and the Symbols ARE CONTAINED on the
		AppleLaserWriterII as font "/Symbol".

Pointer #2	I've been running an NTX (w/ 1MB RAM upgrade) and see
		surprisingly little improvement over the "NT" down the
		hall.  I would NOT purchase another NTX without a REAL
		justification for the price difference -- such as a
		recurring need for the HARD DISK attachment.

	Data from test:
		Shaded Bar Graphs:	NT ~= .92 x NTX	(~8sec/pg)
		DENSE, short Line Segs:	NT ~= .85 x NTX (~80 sec/pg)
		Troff (Man Pages):	NT ~= .99 x NTX (~8sec/pg)
		Line-Printer:		NT ~= .81 x NTX (!?!)
			(yes, the last lest puzzles ME too  ;^)

Pointer #3	Draw a 6" Diameter BLACK-FILLED circle.  On BOTH NT & NTX
		(and on an old LaserWriter) there is a "shadow" effect
		where ~2" down from the top-edge of the circle the
		BLACKNESS clearly decreases in a shape corresponding
		to the curve of the circle's top.  Perhaps some drum
		with a circumference of ~2" has a MEMORY of the last
		rotation's BLACK areas and cannot draw a fully blackened
		area again.  I might not buy ANY further LaserWriters
		given the un-professional look this gives to certain
		graphics, particularly view-graphs.

Pointer #4	Perhaps the advantage of the LaserWriter line is the
		state of the competion.  Perhaps not -- it depends on
		whose stories (Ricoh failures... etc) ya believe.

I share an interest in any free-ware fonts!

JC McMillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm	-- muttering for myself, at best