[comp.lang.postscript] Setting manual feed on a Laserwriter

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) (01/10/89)

After successive attempts to print on both sides of a page on a
Laserwriter using the manual feed, I can only conclude that it
is done through software.  When I placed the paper at the manual
feed input, the Laserwriter insisted on taking from the paper
tray.  Since I don't know PostScript, could some kind person out
there tell me what I need to tell the printer to get it to take
the page?  Specifically, I am using TeX and dvi2ps if that
helps.  Thanks a bunch.

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
uunet!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!julian
julian@uhccux.bitnet
"People who aren't amused don't talk."

SCHWER@KL.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) (01/10/89)

	\statusdict manual true put
The above line placed in the PostScript preamble will activate
the manual feed single sheet paper tray.    --Len Schwer

SCHWER@KL.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) (01/10/89)

Ooops! That should have been manualfeed :
	\statusdict manualfeed true put

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (01/11/89)

In <2976@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, <julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> wrote:
>After successive attempts to print on both sides of a page on a
>Laserwriter using the manual feed, I can only conclude that it
>is done through software.  When I placed the paper at the manual
>feed input, the Laserwriter insisted on taking from the paper
>tray.

That's odd. Maybe the old Laserwriters had something special, but the ones
we have (Laserwriter II's) you just stick a piece a paper in the manual feed,
and it's the next sheet to get fed in.

aem
a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.miami.edu - aem@mthvax.span (3.91) - aem@umiami.bitnet
We would all be idle if we could.			- Samuel Johnson

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (01/11/89)

In article <2976@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) writes:
>After successive attempts to print on both sides of a page on a
>Laserwriter using the manual feed, I can only conclude that it
>is done through software.
>
>julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
>uunet!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!julian
>julian@uhccux.bitnet

The following PostScript fragment sets manual feed.  You'll need to
include it as a dvi /special appropriately to your system.
Manual feed will be turned off at the end of the job.

Information obtained from the Abode red book.

% PostScript for manual feed

statusdict begin
/manualfeed true store
end

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not 	| All that evil requires
hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for 	| is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions	| nothing.

burgett@adobe.com (Michael Burgett) (01/11/89)

In article <12461449989015@KL.SRI.COM> SCHWER@KL.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) writes:
>	\statusdict manual true put

Actually,

\statusdict manualfeed true put

is closer to the mark.  Also, the time that the printer will wait for a
manualfeed (usually defaults to 60 seconds) can be with

\statusdict manualfeedtimeout xxx put

where xxx is the number of seconds to wait.
		----------------------------------
			mike burgett
		     burgett@adobe.com
	   "squid and red bean stew served daily...."

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (01/13/89)

In article <207@adobe.COM> burgett@adobe.COM (Michael Burgett) writes:
>In article <12461449989015@KL.SRI.COM> SCHWER@KL.SRI.COM (Len Schwer) writes:
>>	\statusdict manual true put
>
>Actually,
>
>\statusdict manualfeed true put
>
>is closer to the mark.  Also, the time that the printer will wait for a
>manualfeed (usually defaults to 60 seconds) can be with
>
>\statusdict manualfeedtimeout xxx put
>
>where xxx is the number of seconds to wait.

I'm not sure where the \ came from, but I hope everybody reading this
discussion knows that it is NOT part of the PostScript language syntax,
and in fact will not work as presented (as "pure" PostScript language,
that is).

I can't remember the origins of this discussion; perhaps the \ is TeX
syntax of some kind.

The "pure" PostScript language sequence should look like this:

	statusdict /manualfeed known {
	    statusdict /manualfeed true put
	} if

Without the "if" statement, it will not execute correctly on printers
which do not have the "manualfeed" variable.  Of course, even the name
"statusdict" is not guaranteed to be there, but it is currently a
pretty safe bet.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (01/13/89)

In article <2976@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Julian Cowley) writes:
> After successive attempts to print on both sides of a page on a
> Laserwriter using the manual feed, I can only conclude that it
> is done through software.  When I placed the paper at the manual
> feed input, the Laserwriter insisted on taking from the paper
> tray.  Since I don't know PostScript, could some kind person out
> there tell me what I need to tell the printer to get it to take
> the page?

You need to tell the printer to select the maunal feed.  I can't
exactly explain where to put this but the required postscript is:
	statusdict /manualfeed true put
The remainder of the job will request manual feed.  Just guessing,
	statusdict /manualfeed false put
should put you back to tray feed but it will automatically go back
to tray feed at the end of the current job.

Hope this is a clue.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) (01/16/89)

In article <1216@umbio.MIAMI.EDU>, aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
> In <2976@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, <julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> wrote:
> >After successive attempts to print on both sides of a page on a
> >Laserwriter using the manual feed, I can only conclude that it
> >is done through software.  When I placed the paper at the manual
> >feed input, the Laserwriter insisted on taking from the paper
> >tray.

To set up the Laserwriter for the next print job include the following
in your postscript code:

	statusdict begin /manualfeed true def end

Christopher A. Nielsen
//////////////////            Zorin Data Systems, Inc
           ////      P.O. Box 5669 Santa Monica, CA 90405-0669
        ////
     ////		  UUCP: hplabs!sdcrdcf!zorin!info
  ////