[comp.lang.postscript] adding to an existing font?

lalonde@mitel.misemi ( iccad) (01/14/89)

 I need a font with over-scores, for use in documents which refer to
                                                _
the inverse of electrical signals (i.e. a not = a )
I think the best way to do this is the create a new font, which
is essentially a copy of an existing font with the over-score added.
My question is can this be done?  How?

--
======================
Terry Lalonde

alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) (01/16/89)

In article <437@mitel.misemi> lalonde@.UUCP () writes:
> I need a font with over-scores, for use in documents which refer to
>                                                -
>the inverse of electrical signals (i.e. a not = a )
>I think the best way to do this is the create a new font, which
>is essentially a copy of an existing font with the over-score added.
>My question is can this be done?  How?

In language, the overbar is referred to as a Macron and is used in various
Polynesian languages (Maaori for one). I developed a macroned version of Times
where the aeiouAEIOU letters all have macrons, using a program called
Fontographer by Altsys. There are interesting problems if you want automatic
printing of bold and italic styles but for the most part it works.

You don't mention if this font is destined for the Mac or not so I'm not sure
whether more detail is appropriate. I can give you step by step instructions
on how to create such a font using fontographer or I'll modify the font I've
created depending on your needs.

Regards

Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington
Trolls can often be found under bridges ... or in Computing Departments.

pool@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jonathan Pool) (01/17/89)

If the need for macrons over letters is infrequent and one is using
Word, one can simply overstrike them, since the macron is in the
standard LW fonts.