[comp.lang.postscript] postscript problem

bi38@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Macbeth Ylr) (01/14/89)

I'm posting this for a friend.  He dumped screen and used a program
to convert the output to postscript.  The postscript this program
produced wont run however.  It's included below and I'd appreciate
any pointers on where the error lies.

thanks.

%!PS-Adobe-1.0
/inch {72 mul} def
/bpp 1 def
/scanlines 90 def
/scansize 99 def
/bitmapx
{ 99 90 1 [99 0 0 -90 0 90] {currentfile readrlehexstring pop } image
} def
gsave
0.500000 inch 0.500000 inch translate
0.000000 rotate
7.500000 inch 6.818182 inch scale
/readrlehexstring	% rle_file => decoded_string boolean
{
	/fileptr exch def
	fileptr 1 string readhexstring {
		0 get dup 128 and 0 eq
		{ 1 add /Buffer exch string def
			fileptr Buffer readhexstring
		}
		{ 256 exch sub /BufCount exch def
			/Buffer BufCount 1 add string def
			/RunInt fileptr 1 string readhexstring pop 0 get def
			0 1 BufCount { RunInt Buffer 3 1 roll put } for
			Buffer true
		} ifelse
	}
	{ false } ifelse
} def
/clipathx
{	newpath
	0 0 moveto
	7.500000 inch 0 lineto
	7.500000 inch 6.818182 inch lineto
	0 6.818182 inch lineto
	closepath
} def
clipathx clip
bitmapx
feff02f02aa9f6ff00f0ff5501fff7ff
ff03f37ffffdfeff0af02aa9fff7fffd
eb7ffffefeff00f0ff5504fff7fffdea
fbff07f02aa9f874787066fbff00f0ff
5507f7b3b7bdfefffb2bfeff03f02aa9
f7ffb7fffdfbff00f0ff5505f7b7b87d
fd9ffcff08f02aa9f7b7bfbdfd5ffcff
00f0ff5505f7b3b7bdbb5ffcff08f02a
a9f874787e7b3ffcff00f0ff55f6ff02
f02aa9f6ff00f0ff55f6ff02f02aa9f6
ff00f0ff55f6ff02f02aa9f6ff00f0ff
5501fff7feff01fc7ffdff04f02aa9ff
f7feff01fbbffdff00f0ff5501fff7fe
ff01f7bffdff08f02aa9f874787efff7
fcff00f0ff5505f7b3b7befff7fcff02
f02aa9fff700b7ffff00f7fcff00f0ff
55fff703b87ffff7fffffd00012aa9ff
f7ffbf03fff7bffffd00ff5500f7ffb7
03befffbbffdff0af02aa9f877b87eff
fc7ffffd00ff55f9fffd00012aa9f9ff
fedd00d0ff55f9fffe7702702aa9f9ff
fe770070ff55f9fffedd02d02aa9f9ff
fedd00d0ff5501fff7ffff01f37fffff
fe7708702aa9fff7fffdeb7ffffffe77
0070ff5504fff7fffdeafefffedd07d0
2aa9f874787066fefffedd00d0ff5504
f7b3b7bdfefefffe7703702aa9f7ffb7
fffdfefffe770070ff5505f7b7b87dfd
9ffffffedd08d02aa9f7b7bfbdfd5fff
fffedd00d0ff5505f7b3b7bdbb5fffff
fe7708702aa9f874787e7b3ffffffe77
0070ff55f9fffedd02d02aa9f9fffedd
00d0ff55f9fffe7702702aa9f9fffe77
0070ff55f9fffedd02d02aa9f9fffedd
00d0ff5501fff7ffff01f37ffffffe77
08702aa9fff7fffdeb7ffffffe770070
ff5504fff7fffdeafefffedd07d02aa9
f874787066fefffedd00d0ff5504f7b3
b7bdfefefffe7703702aa9f7ffb7fffd
fefffe770070ff5505f7b7b87dfd9fff
fffedd08d02aa9f7b7bfbdfd5ffffffe
dd00d0ff5505f7b3b7bdbb5ffffffe77
08702aa9f874787e7b3ffffffe770070
ff55f9fffedd02d02aa9f9fffedd00d0
ff55f9fffe7702702aa9f9fffe770070
ff55f9fffedd02d02aa9f9fffedd00d0
ff5501fc7ffbfffe7704702aa9fbbffe
ff00fdfffffe770070ff5501f7bffeff
00fdfffffedd0ad02aa9f7f8f4747870
7ffffedd00d0ff55fff70373b3b7bdff
fffe7705702aa9f7ff77ffb700bdffff
fe770070ff5502f7f877ffb700bdffff
fedd05d02aa9f7b777ffb700bdfffffe
dd00d0ff5502fbb777ffb702bdbffffe
7704702aa9fc78ffb703b87e7ffffe77
0070ff55f9fffedd02d02aa9f9fffedd
00d0ff55f9fffe7702702aa9f9fffe77
0070ff55f9fffedd02d02aa9f9fffedd
00d0ff5501fff7ffff01f37ffffffe77
08702aa9fff7fffdeb7ffffffe770070
ff5504fff7fffdeafefffedd07d02aa9
f874787066fefffedd00d0ff5504f7b3
b7bdfefefffe7703702aa9f7ffb7fffd
fefffe770070ff5505f7b7b87dfd9fff
fffedd08d02aa9f7b7bfbdfd5ffffffe
dd00d0ff5505f7b3b7bdbb5f01bfff00
grestore
showpage

zwicky@pterodactyl.cis.ohio-state.edu (Elizabeth D. Zwicky) (01/17/89)

In article <1057@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU> bi38@sdcc12.ucsd.EDU (Macbeth Ylr) writes:
>I'm posting this for a friend.  He dumped screen and used a program
>to convert the output to postscript.  The postscript this program
>produced wont run however.  It's included below and I'd appreciate
>any pointers on where the error lies.

The first mistake is in the first line,
>%!PS-Adobe-1.0

This header specifies that the following file conforms to the Adobe
standard. It is not a generic header that means the file is PostScript.
If there is anything in your printing system that relies on this information
(for instance, if you are running Transcript and have it set to reverse
page order), this file will never even make it to the printer. The
first program that tries to treat it as an Adobe conforming file will
fail, and throw it away as garbage. This is an unfortunately common
error (one I have seen in commercial products, would you believe).
If your file is not Adobe standard, the header should read "%! " or
anything else that begins "%!" and does NOT continue on with "PS-Adobe".
The printer doesn't care, but the printing system might. OSU's certainly
does...

	Elizabeth Zwicky
	(zwicky@cis.ohio-state.edu)

ed@mtxinu.COM (Ed Gould) (01/19/89)

>The first mistake is in the first line,
>>%!PS-Adobe-1.0
>
>This header specifies that the following file conforms to the Adobe
>standard. It is not a generic header that means the file is PostScript.

The header

	%!PS-Adobe-

(note the lack of version number) means that the PostScript is
minimally conforming.  Such things as page reversal and selection
filters will work, but not necessarily other operations.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
ed@mtxinu.COM		    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."