[comp.lang.postscript] How Do I Get Ultimate Print Quality From Apple LaserWriter II?

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/23/89)

I'm getting ready to produce some masters for offset printing, and the
masters will be produced on an Apple LaserWriter II for cost reasons.
(Can't quite afford $5/page for a 200 page book).  I know that there
are some tricks to getting best possible results by using different
types of paper.  (Xerographic paper obviously isn't the greatest).
What are the tricks?  I'm being careful to use only fonts above
10 pt., but other suggestions would be appreciated.
--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) (01/23/89)

In article <828@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes...

]I'm getting ready to produce some masters for offset printing, and the
]masters will be produced on an Apple LaserWriter II for cost reasons.
](Can't quite afford $5/page for a 200 page book).  I know that there
]are some tricks to getting best possible results by using different
]types of paper.  (Xerographic paper obviously isn't the greatest).
]What are the tricks?  I'm being careful to use only fonts above
]10 pt., but other suggestions would be appreciated.

As to paper, I have used Hammermill Laser Plus, which gives
a *considerably* better image than Xerox 4024, the common
sopier paper.  Cleaner black, much higher acuity at edges,
and a much brighter white for higher overal contrast.

Laser Plus is fairly slippery, and though opacity is good,
it is thinner than 4024 and you sometimes get two sheets fed
at once through the LW II.  However, LP doesn't work for us
as a master stock because we then print in a Xerox 9500,
which won't autofeed the masters reliably (too thin, taking
two of course leads to a page sequence disaster in the
output).

Another trick (this one is an Apple "official" comment on
ghost images) is that if you have a large area graphic,
you may see ghosting from several inches up the page.  One
(mighty inconvenient) solution is to print the same page
two or three times, the ghosting problem may decrease with
multiple prints (it has something to do with fatiguing the
coating on the drum, I guess).

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==ARPA: anderson@macc.wisc.edu========UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

eager@ringworld.Sun.COM (Mike Eager) (01/24/89)

In article <828@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>I'm getting ready to produce some masters for offset printing, and the
>masters will be produced on an Apple LaserWriter II for cost reasons.

Hammermill makes a paper especially for laser printers with a name
like Laser Bond or Laser Copy.  It is a bit heavier, has a smooth
brilliant white surface, and has a wax holdout backing.  This is to
make it easy to do pasteups using wax.  You can find the paper in
large stationery stores.