From: sysrick@cfht.cfht.hawaii.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
Subject: QMS-PS 810 on a serial port?
Date: 24 Jan 89 07:11:10 GMT
Sender: usenet@rice.edu

We have been using a QMS-PS 810 on a Sun 4/280 for a few months now. It is
installed on a serial tty line running at 9600 baud with Xon/Xoff
protocol.  We have had 3 major problems with this configuration;

1. initially any print job would generate a timeout 30 seconds after ending,
   and then that timeout would generate an error "Unknown command ..."
   another 30 seconds later. The problem was that any job which arrived
   during this period was "flushed". This was patched by setting the job
   timeout to infinity and preceding/following all print jobs with ^D
2. if a job runs out of paper and it is not refilled within 60 seconds
   then the rest of the job is generally lost
3. we still get occassional "unrecognized command, flushing to end of
   job messages"

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed tne QMS-PS
810 on a Unix machine, particularly a Sun.

--
.signature under construction ...

pyramid!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai
Daisy Systems Corp, 700B Middlefield Road, Mtn View CA 94039.  (415)960-6961