[net.micro] Aaargh! Hard Disk Crash

sethf@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Seth Finkelstein) (05/21/86)

Ahhhhhhhhh
I hate IBM

(This is posted for a friend without news access. Please reply
directly to me [sethf@eddie.mit.edu, sethf@mit-eddie], as I don't
ordinarily read this group. If any useful information is received, I
will summarize to the net.)

We have some IBM AT's. One of the hard disks just crashed with a "1790 -
Disk 0 Error". We were about to make backups of the last week's work
when the crash happened: we have lost some important data. Is there any
way to 1. fix this error without reformatting the disk or 2. recover
some of the files before reformatting?

Thinking evil thoughts about the color blue,
Kenneth A Graves
ESG Computer Lab Ornament

--
================================
Seth Finkelstein

Disclaimer : I am not the Lorax. I speak only for myself.

shawn@bmcg.UUCP (Shawn Bosley) (05/24/86)

In article <2051@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> sethf@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Seth Finkelstein) writes:
>Ahhhhhhhhh
>I hate IBM
>
>(This is posted for a friend without news access. Please reply
>directly to me [sethf@eddie.mit.edu, sethf@mit-eddie], as I don't
>ordinarily read this group. If any useful information is received, I
>will summarize to the net.)
>
>We have some IBM AT's. One of the hard disks just crashed with a "1790 -
>Disk 0 Error". We were about to make backups of the last week's work
>when the crash happened: we have lost some important data. Is there any
>way to 1. fix this error without reformatting the disk or 2. recover
>some of the files before reformatting?

I know what you mean! I have a first generation AT with a CMI drive and
just in the past week I started getting errors in XENIX. The disk had
completely lost the XENIX OS so I had to reformat the entire disk (losing
all by programs!). I kept things backed up well so I didn't lose that much. Just
as PC Magazine (April 29, 1986) had said, "if you have a CMI disk, it's not
if your disk will fail, but when." I didn't think much of the hard disk
problems since I had gone so long without any problems. It's been 13 months
now and I started getting system error 1701 when I ran the diagnostics. I never
thought that there were any problems with the hard disk since I had gone a year
without trouble. It took 13 months before PC started having problems with
theirs. I am thoroughly convinced that my CMI drive will completely fail
within the next few months.

With all that aside, does anyone have good recommendations for a replacement
hard disk (30 or 40 MEG)? I know CORE is good, but what about Seagate? I
know that I can get a good deal on a 40 MEG Seagate drive. I would
appreciate any info on RELIABLE hard disks. I don't think it will be long
before I will be forced into buying a new hard disk.

Thanks,

-- Shawn Bosley

mr@isrnix.UUCP (mr) (05/28/86)

]:[

In <2085@bmcg.UUCP>, shawn@bmcg.UUCP <Shawn Bosley> writes:

>> ... does anyone have good recommendations for a replacement hard disk (30
>> or 40 MEG)? I know CORE is good, but what about Seagate? I know that I can
>> get a good deal on a 40 MEG Seagate drive. I would appreciate any info on
>> RELIABLE hard disks. I don't think it will be long before I will be forced
>> into buying a new hard disk.

well, let me put in my two-cents worth...

last monday (5-19) my 20-meg seagate from pc's limited (oh no, here we go
again) crashed.  the disk was only seven and a-half months young.

so the tech-talk with pc's ltd. went sorta like this:

  me:  hey...i just tried to boot up this morning and got a 1701 system error.

them:  what's the disk doing?

  me:  well, not much of anything.  i cannot hear any movement (save the fan)
       and the disk indicator light is flashing steadily.

them:  that's not good.  ...usually means the disk is shot.  when did you
       buy the drive?

  me:  october, 1985.

them:  what kind of drive/card is it?

  me:  a 20-meg seagate with western digital controller.

them:  send it back.  we'll send a replacement right out...etc...

i was pleased with our conversation and the tech support person (ron) was
very sympathetic and polite.  he was surprised to hear that yet another
seagate was failing...

me too for that matter.

i'm not trying to give a "bad review" to the seagate, but hey...*ANY* disk
can crash...(well 'cept for a CORE).  data here one day; gone the next.  no
symptoms whatsoever...!POOF!

gone.

--
                .^.                        michael regoli
                /|\              ...ihnp4!inuxc!isrnix!mr