[net.news.group] An alternative to net.religion subgroups

pellegri@ittral.UUCP (Dan Pellegrino) (02/16/84)

This is not an original idea, I read it in this newsgroup a week or two ago,
but, considering the state of the net.religion.jewish debate, I think it is a
good time to restate and propose the idea.  (First, for the record, let me
say that, although I am not Jewish, I am in favor of the creation of net.re-
ligion.jewish.)

Any reader of net.religion knows that it is very heavily laden with flames
and other very negative (and often anti-religious) articles.  This makes the
newsgroup a real burden to page through and it is very boring and contrary to
the original purpose of the newsgroup (this, of course, is my own subjective
analysis).  Therefore I propose that the subgroup be created in net.flame
as net.flame.religion.  The endless discussions that go on about specific
individual topics should move to net.followup or elsewhere.  Leave net.religion
for those who want to discuss religion in a positive light.  What I mean is
don't post in net.religion just to attack religion as a whole.  No one should
post an article in any newsgroup just to attack the entire concept for which
the newsgroup was created.  If one doesn't like religion, unsubscribe, don't
read net.religion or at least confine the attacks to net.flame.

The creation of net.flame.religion (or perhaps even net.anti-religion as a
main newsgroup) hopefully would clear the way for some discussion of religion
on a more informative basis.  Don't get me wrong, I am very religious and I
think that those that are anti-religious are making a big mistake.  I would
like to help change thier minds but I am more interested in clearing the
newsgroup for more informative discussion and perhaps this would be an
encouragement to would-be contributors that have been intimidated.

Think about it, folks.

                                            Dan Pellegrino
                                            ittvax!ittral!pellegri

cej@ll1.UUCP (Chuck Jones) (02/17/84)

[]

	After taking Dan Pellegrino's advice, and thinking it about
it, I think I tend to agree with Dan's idea about a group or
subgroup for the religion/anti-religion debate.  Actually the
evolution/creation debate could also be moved to the same group,
since it's really the same discussion at heart.  I think we all
could agree that there certainly is enough traffic on this topic for
it to rate its own group, and it doesn't seem that the discussion is
tapering off, or ever will.

	The only problem would be keeping the traffic in the group.
I get the feeling that if the pro-religion side unsubscibed, the con
side would gravitate back to net.religion, and if the pro-evolution
side left, things would gravitate to net.physics.

	I think something like this may have been suggested some
time before, but there is a LOT of traffic.

	(BTW, I'm pro on one issue, con on the other, and not sure
if I would subscribe to the group.)

..we13!ll1!cej		Chuck Jones	AT&T Communications

pellegri@ittral.UUCP (Dan Pellegrino) (02/22/84)

Date: Sun, 19 Feb 84 17:18:56 ast
From: decvax!dartvax!dalcs!y4101 (Marcus Aurellius)
To: dartvax!decvax!ittvax!ittral!pellegri
Subject: Re: An alternative to net.religion subgroups

  YES! I am not religious and occasionally get into spirited (sic)
discussions on the subject but I honestly cannot see any reason for
spilling such discussions into "net.religion". I assumed the a group
called "net.religion" is for people who are religious and like to
share ideas about it. To use that forum to flame religion is very
revolting to me.
  If I want to start a crusade to elliminate religion I'll do it on
my own turf, thank you. I won't add my comments to the splitting
up of subgroups debate since I am a newcommer (this is my first
article in fact) and I am sure I am not familiar enough with the
mechanisms in place. However, if there is anyone out there that
can enlighten me on net protocols and tips (or at least direct
me to an appropriate article) I would greatly appreciate it (I hate
comming in to something new and having to fumble around until
I get it right).

                            Marcus Aurellius
                        aka Marc J. Trottier
                            Dalhousie University
                            Nova Scotia, Canada

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (02/22/84)

I will take the banner and continue carrying it, for the creation of
net.flame.religion, for the simple fact the although I myself am
interested in the discussions of the impact of people's religions on
society, I really don't care for their discussions of the
idiosyncrosies of their religion.  Therefor, I have long ago
unsubscribed to net.religion for the boredom of wading through the
verbiage.  However, I have activley participated in the Prayer in
school discussions and have actually read most of the long monologues
about Creationists/Evolutionists.  And the last reason, and the best
reason as I see it would be to allow all of the people that don't want
to see these discussions from having to...the discussions are seen in
net.religion, net.misc, net.followup, net.flame, and other places.
Let's get this discussion(s) centralized.

                                          Walt Pesch
                                      AT&T Technologies
                                     ihnp4!ihuxp!wbpesch