[comp.lang.postscript] Kanji PostScript ?

kato@eecs.nwu.edu (Masao Kato) (01/19/89)

Does anyone know about extension of PostScript for Kanji (Japanese character) ?
Thanks in advance.

Masao Kato (kato@eecs.nwu.edu)
Northwestern University
EECS Dept.

tex@wucc.waseda.JUNET (KAMIYA Fumiaki) (01/21/89)

In article <8030004@eecs.nwu.edu>, kato@eecs.nwu.edu (Masao Kato) writes:
> Does anyone know about extension of PostScript for Kanji (Japanese character) ?

Sorry, I can't tell you anything about Kanji Postscript.  But there is
a good news in Japan.  Canon will start NTX to NTX/J version up from
February.  As you can easily guess from its name, it supports kanji
printing but I'm not sure if it's the kind of Postscrpit your're
interested in.  The version up kit consists of a board exchange and a
40MB external disk and is for 300000 yen.

KAMIYA Fumiaki
Dept of Math, WASEDA Univ, JAPAN

PS) NEVER reply to my mail address.
    All replys to KAKEHI@JPNWAS00.BITNET please.

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (01/27/89)

In article <529@wucc.waseda.JUNET> KAKEHI@JPNWAS00.BITNET writes:
>In article <8030004@eecs.nwu.edu>, kato@eecs.nwu.edu (Masao Kato) writes:
>> Does anyone know about extension of PostScript for Kanji (Japanese character) ?
>
>Sorry, I can't tell you anything about Kanji Postscript.  But there is
>a good news in Japan.  Canon will start NTX to NTX/J version up from
>February.  As you can easily guess from its name, it supports kanji
>printing but I'm not sure if it's the kind of Postscrpit your're
>interested in.  The version up kit consists of a board exchange and a
>40MB external disk and is for 300000 yen.

I believe this is the Apple NTX and NTX/J, not Canon.  Anyway, the
Apple LaserWriter NTX/J PostScript printer contains an Adobe controller
which has been improved to support Kanji.  In particular, Adobe has
extended the font mechanism to handle what we call "composite fonts",
which allows a large collection of individual font dictionaries and
glyphs to be collected into a single composite font dictionary.  This
dictionary can then be used as a normal font would be, even though it
may contain 7,000 characters or more.  In conjunction with this, the
interpreter can handle many alternate encodings (2-byte encodings in
many flavors) for the Japanese and other languages.

For further information on this, please contact Adobe Systems Developer
Support and ask for the Composite Font Extensions document.  It is not
yet available on the file server, but hopefully will be soon.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

tex@wucc.waseda.JUNET (KAMIYA Fumiaki) (01/28/89)

In article <301@adobe.COM>, greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) writes:
> In article <529@wucc.waseda.JUNET> KAKEHI@JPNWAS00.BITNET writes:
> >Canon will start NTX to NTX/J version up from
> >February.
>
> I believe this is the Apple NTX and NTX/J, not Canon.

Well in fact, your're right.  It is indeed Apple's NTX/J.  Apple Japan
will start shipping NTX/J from February 15th as well as the version up
kit.

I said 'Canon' because their products are mostly sold through Canon
dealers.  This comes from the fact that when Apple started marketing
their products in Japan, they didn't have their own delears so Canon
dealers played that role instead (well, that's what I heard then).
This style might have changed by now but at least we are buying our
version up kit from a Canon dealer:-)

Sorry about the slight mis-information.

KAMIYA Fumiaki
Dept of Math, Waseda U, JAPAN