[comp.lang.postscript] Public domain PS conversion programs

corwin@cirrusl.UUCP (Paul Frommeyer) (02/04/89)

Breaking my 3-year silence and sticking my nose into a newsgroup where it
probably doesn't belong...

The archive system SIMTEL-20 on the DDN (Internet, ARPAnet, what-have-you-net)
has about every public domain PostScript conversion program I know of,
including such goodies as TeX2DVI, Ditroff2PS, PS<=>4014, etc. There's
also (or there was in Dec.) a rudimentary PS kernel.

I'm inferring from the recent postings that a fair number of people don't
know about this.

Anyway, to get this stuff you either need a DDN connection or a friend who
has one (We aren't on the DDN... yet. :-). Use anonymous FTP to get the
pieces you want.

There's also a directory file somewhere that lists all the UNIX-C archives;
there's much more than just PostScript there.

Pitfalls: SIMTEL-20 is _busy_, and depending on where you are in the DDN
topology, you may want to batch your FTP requests for the wee hours.

Theoretically, this informational posting should elicit no replies. Just in
case, please direct any enquiries via e-mail; our net is congested enough as
it is.

mongo@helios (Mongo Package) (02/05/89)

In article <658@cirrusl.UUCP> corwin@cirrusl.UUCP (Paul Frommeyer) writes:

>The archive system SIMTEL-20 on the DDN (Internet, ARPAnet, what-have-you-net)
>has about every public domain PostScript conversion program I know of,

Pardon the general posting of this note, but the original article left
much to be discovered with no apparent way to discover it.

Mr. Frommeyer:
Please be more specific.  What is the full name of the SIMTEL-20 machine,
which net is it on, and what is your proper return address?

It is really hard to track down any of these things given the info in
your posting.

Steve Allen
mongo@helios.ucsc.edu	Internet
mongo@portal		Bitnet

rad@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (02/05/89)

In article <6232@saturn.ucsc.edu> mongo@helios.ucsc.edu (Mongo Package) writes:
>In article <658@cirrusl.UUCP> corwin@cirrusl.UUCP (Paul Frommeyer) writes:
>>
>>The archive system SIMTEL-20 on the DDN (Internet, ARPAnet, what-have-you-net)
>>has about every public domain PostScript conversion program I know of,
>

>Pardon the general posting of this note, but the original article left
>much to be discovered with no apparent way to discover it.

Info re: SIMTEL-20

The original name for the machine was simtel-20.arpa, I believe.  It has
since been renamed to simtel20.army.mil, in concurrence w/ the erradication
of the .arpa addresses.  If I'm not mistaken, the machine is an old DEC
running TOPS-20, though they might ave replaced it w/ a UN*X machine.

Another, similarly well endowed machine is sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  I'm very
sure that sumex-aim is now UN*X, though it was also TOPS-20.

The basic syntax of the directories, assuming it's still TOPS-20, would be
cd PD1:<MACINTOSH>  /* A diectory I happen to remember */
You might want to try PDn:<POSTSCRIPT> /* n= [1-4] or so */
to get to the postscript stuff.  Once you cd to a directory, you can get
a list of the files w/ ls; before you do so, I don't think that you can.

(I just connected from another machine; simtel20.army.mil is a synonym for
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  There are some files in pd2:<unix-c.printers>
including filters, and probably the ps kernal the orriginal poster mentioned.
There's no indication of a <postscript> directory.)

One last note:  as simtel20 runs TOPS-20, make sure you use TENEX mode for
all transfers!  (TOPS-20 uses 36 bit words, image and bin modes transmit all
36 bits, messing up your files.)  (NB: ascii mode should work for text-only
files.)

That's all I can think of.  I'd be happy to respond if anyone has any more
questions.  I'm sure there is a file on simtel20 that lists all of the
directories that are anon ftp-able, but I've not found it; I always have to
use trial & ERROR.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.	Borrowing an account again.
+1 607 272 4519

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (02/06/89)

In a recent article mongo@helios.ucsc.edu (Mongo Package) wrote:
>In article <658@cirrusl.UUCP> corwin@cirrusl.UUCP (Paul Frommeyer) writes:
>>The archive system SIMTEL-20 on the DDN (Internet, ARPAnet, what-have-you-net)
>>has about every public domain PostScript conversion program I know of,
>Please be more specific.  What is the full name of the SIMTEL-20 machine,
>Steve Allen
>mongo@helios.ucsc.edu	Internet
>mongo@portal		Bitnet

This is the info I got from our nameserver on 'simtel20.arpa'

Name:    WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Address:  26.0.0.74
Aliases:  simtel20.arpa

I believe that it is a TOPS-20 system, so the directories have the syntax
  cd <MSDOS.UTIL>
and you need to use TENEX mode for binary transfers (not likely for PS).

				++Eric Fielding
fielding@geology.tn.cornell.edu  eric@crnlthry.bitnet

rr2g@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Rhonda Ragland) (02/06/89)

>This is the info I got from our nameserver on 'simtel20.arpa'
>
>Name:    WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
>Address:  26.0.0.74
>Aliases:  simtel20.arpa

How did you get this info from your "nameserver"?  I'd like to be able
to do this also.

>				++Eric Fielding
>fielding@geology.tn.cornell.edu  eric@crnlthry.bitnet

       Rhonda Ragland
rr2g@virginia.edu  rr2g@virginia.bitnet

#	         A day at work is not like a day in paradise !!!             #
#	    Rhonda Ragland                 #	University of Virginia       #