[comp.lang.postscript] trouble installing TranScript 2.1

consult@osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox ) (02/10/89)

I'm trying to get TranScript up and running on our development Sun 3
systems so that we can start providing better support for documentation
and things, and have run into a little trouble with our copy of the 2.1
TranScript\(tm distribution.  I tar'ed it onto our server, ran bsd, and
ran `make programs' - it worked fine until sed complained about an
unknown option 'c'.

I checked makefiles and the like and found that the "root" makefile
contained an invocation of "sed -c".  Both Makefile/Makefile.bsd and
Makefile.sysv had the same command.  I checked all the different
manpages I could find for sed (Pyramid OSx 4.1, under both universes,
and SunOS 4.0) and can't find any reference to a -c option.

I've deleted the -c from the sed command, and the installation seemed
to go smoothly, but I'm still infinitesimally worried that the change
will cause minor problems somewhere down the road.  I guess I'd just
like to know that the change I made will not cause any repurcussions.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Has the 2.1 release of TranScript\(tm
changed to include my "bug fix"?  Does anyone know if there *is* such a
thing as a sed with a -c option, and if so, what that option does?  And
what about Naomi?

Phil Kos

dkk@athena.mit.edu (David K Krikorian) (02/10/89)

In article <2837@osiris.UUCP> consult@osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox (Phil)) writes:
>I checked makefiles and the like and found that the "root" makefile
>contained an invocation of "sed -c".
>Does anyone know if there *is* such a thing as a sed with a -c
>option, and if so, what that option does?  And what about Naomi?

According to our sources for sed (BSD 85/06/19) the only options are
n, f, e and g.  The 'g' option is not documented in our man pages, so
I don't know what it does.

consult@osiris.UUCP (Unix Consultation Mailbox ) (02/11/89)

My `sed -c' question has been answered in email; the explanation was
that it was a typo, the c was intended to be an e.  Deleting the bad
option caused the make to (almost, there was still another bug) succeed.
Thanks to Mike Byron at Adobe who knew this one.

phil