[comp.lang.postscript] Need a pd version of TEX and a PostScript

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (02/03/89)

I am in search of two things, the first is a public domain version of
TEX.  Perhaps there is a gnutex floating around out there.  We are
currently using troff for our documentation preparation, etc. and have
heard that TEX is better.

Also, and more importantly, I am in need of a program/filter which will
translate PostScript(tm) to stuff appropriate for digesting by an
HP Laserjet printer.

If anyone has either/both of these items, please let me know via e-mail
and I can work with you in making arrangements to obtain it.

Thanks in advance,

===================================+===========================================
Philip A. Gross			   |INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2@wb3ffv.ampr.org
The Computer Solution Co., Inc.    |USENET:	...!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716 |UUCP:	tcsc3b2!pag	(804)794-1514
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716         |ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
Voice: (804)794-3491               |
        The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.
        << I haven't heard what I have to say about that yet. >> :-)

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (02/10/89)

      There's TurboTEX, from the Austin Code Works, which distributes
various software packages, including many PD packages.  $175.  Is this
package any good?  I'd appreciate comments.

      Austin Code Works, 11100 Leafwood Ln, Austin, TX 78750-3409  512-258-0785

					John Nagle

gomez@cisunx.UUCP ( roberto o Gomez) (02/11/89)

In article <18092@glacier.STANFORD.EDU>, jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:

>       There's TurboTEX, from the Austin Code Works, which distributes
> various software packages, including many PD packages.  $175.  Is this
> package any good?  I'd appreciate comments.
>
>       Austin Code Works, 11100 Leafwood Ln, Austin, TX 78750-3409  512-258-0785
>
> 					John Nagle

I've been using sbtex, ftp anonymous-ly from simtel20.arpa, on an
AT-clone and an AT&T 6300, and I'm very pleased. If you decide to try
it, get both dostex and sbtex, the former has all the .tex, .fmt and
.sty files you will need Both supoort LaTeX and AMSTeX. For dvi -> HP
or PostScript, use Nelson Beebe's drivers, available from science.utah.edu

I can't comment on TurboTEX, I have no experience with it. Other people
in the Department use PC-TeX. Thought you may be interested.

Roberto
--
Roberto Gomez, Physics Dept., Univ. of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA 15260
Arpa:	roberto@bondi.phyast.pittsburgh.edu	(130.49.33.13)