[comp.lang.postscript] Downloadable fonts for LPS40?

spector@vx2.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (02/16/89)

Does anyone have any information on when DIGITAL will be supporting
_downloadable_ fonts for the LPS40?  I would very much like to be able
to take advantage of the millions of fonts available for (smaller)
PostScript engines on a big, fat, FAST PostScript engine...

Thanks Much,
_DHMS
David HM Spector				   New York University
Unix Manager/Senior Systems Programmer		   Stern School of Business
ARPAnet: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			   Academic Computing Center
USEnet:...!{uunet,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector     90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector             New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: DHMSpector   CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life"
			- Senator Orrin Hatch

XYZZYGLORP

robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu (Robert Viduya) (02/16/89)

> Does anyone have any information on when DIGITAL will be supporting
> _downloadable_ fonts for the LPS40?  I would very much like to be able
> to take advantage of the millions of fonts available for (smaller)
> PostScript engines on a big, fat, FAST PostScript engine...

I don't know about DEC but I just saw a recent announce from Adobe in their
newsletter, Colophon.  The announcement describes a package called "VAX/VMS
Typeface Pack 1" and I quote:

	"... a collection of 14 typefaces designed to be downloaded from
	VAX/VMS hardware to PostScript DEC printers.  The VAX/VMS Typeface
	Pack 1, coupled with the fonts built into PostScript DEC printers
	gives VAX users access to the 35 standard Adobe fonts available on
	many other PostScript language devices."

So it seems that if DEC doesn't know how to download fonts to their own
printers, Adobe does.  Contact Adobe at (800) 344-8335.

--
Robert Viduya					   robert@shangri-la.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services

ted@mbunix.mitre.org (Edward J. Ede) (02/17/89)

In article <120001@vx2.NYU.EDU> spector@vx2.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:

>Does anyone have any information on when DIGITAL will be supporting
>_downloadable_ fonts for the LPS40?  I would very much like to be able
>to take advantage of the millions of fonts available for (smaller)
>PostScript engines on a big, fat, FAST PostScript engine...

I have a utility that runs on a mac and converts mac format fonts into
"normal" ascii files.  These files can be prepended to your job when
printing or downloaded outside the server loop.  If anyone wants a
copy and you can un-binhex files, send mail or call and I'll send
a copy to you.

As far as I know, there exists no mechanism for the LPS40 print
symbiont to automatically download fonts.  It would be nice if the
symbiont interpretted document structuring comments.

Ted
|Ted Ede -- ted@mbunix.mitre.org -- The MITRE Corporation -- Burlington Road|
| linus!mbunix!ted -- Bedford MA, 01730 -- Mail Stop B015 -- (617) 271-2524 |
|                   - this line intentionally left blank -                  |