[comp.lang.postscript] How to get the DPS manual

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (02/23/89)

In article <3678@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>lchirica@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Laurian Chirica) writes:
>> Could anyone please tell me how I can get a copy [of Adobe's Display
>> PostScript System Reference manual]?
>
>What I did is send off $30 to:
>
>	DPS Reference Manual Offer
>	Adobe Systems Incorporated
>	1585 Charleston Road
>	P.O. Box 7900
>	Mountain View, CA  94039-7900
>
>Whether this will work for you or not, is a good question.  A few weeks after
>our order went out, a copy of The Red Book showed up in the mail.  I called
>Adobe and told them that they mis-shipped and they said to send the book back
>and the would send the DPS docs when they were ready (they were being printed
>at the time).  Some time (well over a month) later, I still hadn't gotten the
>DPS stuff so I called and was told that you had to be approved to order the
>DPS reference manual!  This didn't make sense, so I asked them what they
>meant and was told that not just anybody could order the DPS manual, that you
>had to be on the approved list.  When I protested that I had already paid for
>it and nobody had said anything about approvals, they said that if it turns
>out that I wasn't approved, I would get a refund of my $30!

This is, of course, highly embarrassing.  It stems from too many
different people knowing too little.  We really do have a consistent
policy :-)  Yes, you can order it if you just pay money for it, and
there isn't any approval policy, other than cashing your check.

The best thing to do is to address inquiries directly to Marci
Eversole, the adminstrative assistant for Developer Support, rather
than the more general address of "DPS Reference Manual Offer" (although
she may not agree with me).  The heck with generality and indirection,
it works better if you send it to a person.

The problem was that "DPS Reference Manual" and "PS Reference Manual"
(usually thought of as the red book) are just too similar....

Thanks for your patience.

--
Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems