[comp.lang.postscript] Mac PS Printouts via Sun UNIX

aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) (03/02/89)

The old Sun UNIX system used to have a Mac PostScript printout filter
[ lpr -M ], but the new OS doesn't.

Now, one would expect any PS file print on any PS printer (with the
usual exceptions, custom PS commands etc.)

Does anybody know why this filter is needed? What is the difference
between the Mac PS files, and other PS files. (Regular PS files do
print out. The Mac files are created using cmd-F; the cmd-K produces
a prep directory, that wedges the printer.)

Hans Aberg, Mathematics
aberg@math.rutgers.edu

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (03/03/89)

In article <Mar.1.12.08.45.1989.8598@math.rutgers.edu> aberg@math.rutgers.edu (Hans Aberg) writes:

>The old Sun UNIX system used to have a Mac PostScript printout filter
>[ lpr -M ], but the new OS doesn't.
>
>Now, one would expect any PS file print on any PS printer (with the
>usual exceptions, custom PS commands etc.)
>
>Does anybody know why this filter is needed? What is the difference
>between the Mac PS files, and other PS files. (Regular PS files do
>print out. The Mac files are created using cmd-F; the cmd-K produces
>a prep directory, that wedges the printer.)

The PostScript language code written by the Apple Printing Manager is
device-dependent as well as environment-dependent.  You cannot simply
upload command-F or command-K files and expect them to print without
alteration from another host (very unfortunately).  Of course, those
command keys are undocumented, I think, so they aren't guaranteed to be
good for anything other than looking at the code.  Each release of the
system software usually requires slightly different things to be
removed from it, so "lpr -M" would require quite a bit of maintenance.