[comp.lang.postscript] Distillery release 9 - problem

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (03/03/89)

I still can't get the damn thing to work with our Apple Laserwriters.
We're using transcript, but the file I'm sending is just a simple
postscript file.

Here's what I send (catenated together):
	- the still.ps program with a "distill" at the end
	- my ps program
	- a ^D to indicate end-of-file

And heres what shows up in our psc-log file:
------------------------
psbanner: drill.me:eastick  Job: jnk.ps  Date: Fri Mar  3 13:30:39 1989
psif: drill.me:eastick nogroup start - psc3%!PS-Adobe-2.1 debug version ((V 1.0d release 9 edit 08))
output file: nullx
%%[ Error: undefinedfilename; OffendingCommand: file ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
psif: printer sync problem [2] ()
psif: end - Fri Mar  3 13:33:13 1989
------------------------

It looks like it tries to start printing the new prologue (sp?), but
then barfs. Help?

What does the Glen mean when he says one should have a
file system handy to use an interpreter? I've tried using sunPS (I
think we got it off the net a while back), and psview and psh in NeWS
on an SGI-4D with no success. If anyone has used the still with either
or these, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks
--
Doug Eastick	eastick@me.UTORONTO.BITNET	UUCP: ...!utai!me!eastick
		eastick@me.toronto.edu

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (03/14/89)

In article <89Mar3.151622est.19358@me.utoronto.ca> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:

>I still can't get the damn thing to work with our Apple Laserwriters.
>We're using transcript, but the file I'm sending is just a simple
>postscript file.
>
>Here's what I send (catenated together):
>	- the still.ps program with a "distill" at the end
>	- my ps program
>	- a ^D to indicate end-of-file
>
>And heres what shows up in our psc-log file:
>------------------------
>psbanner: drill.me:eastick  Job: jnk.ps  Date: Fri Mar  3 13:30:39 1989
>psif: drill.me:eastick nogroup start - psc3%!PS-Adobe-2.1 debug version ((V 1.0d release 9 edit 08))
>output file: nullx
>%%[ Error: undefinedfilename; OffendingCommand: file ]%%
>%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
>psif: printer sync problem [2] ()
>psif: end - Fri Mar  3 13:33:13 1989
>------------------------

I think the clue here is the file name that it named as the output
file:  "nullx".  That indicates that the distillery thought it was
being invoked in the form

	(filename) distill

Instead of just with "distill", which would read from the current file.
My guess is that there is a null string or something in front of the
word "distill" in your concatenation.  Look at it with "cat -v" or "od"
or some other means, and see what you might find.

>What does the Glen mean when he says one should have a
>file system handy to use an interpreter? I've tried using sunPS (I
>think we got it off the net a while back), and psview and psh in NeWS
>on an SGI-4D with no success. If anyone has used the still with either
>or these, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks

I'm not sure if it works with anything but the Display PostScript
interpreter, but it should if they are fully compatible.  There's
nothing particularly implementation-specific in the program that I know
of, although I might have used "=string" or something without thinking
about it.

Good luck.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems