[net.micro] CDC Wren drives, was Re: Hard Disk Noise

randy@ranhome.UUCP (Randy Horton) (05/31/86)

In article <150@percival.UUCP> nerd@percival.UUCP (Michael Galassi) writes:
[deleted text]
>Now for my question, does anyone have some good/bad experiences w/ the
>WREN series of drives from CDC?  Specificaly the WREN II series which
>acomodates the ST506 standard (they say).  If any CDC people are reading
>this, feel free to reply, I have your multi-color glosies already though,
>I just need info like prices and reliability figures (real ones that is).
>
>--
I have used a number of these drives, mostly in the 30Mb size.  I have found
them to be generally very good drives.  They are relatively quiet and seem to
be very reliable. There does seem to be one small problem that is particular
to this model however.  It seems that when you turn them off, sometimes the
head gets stuck to the platter (that is the explanation an engineer gave me).
When you turn them back on, they do not spin up, unless you give the computer
a good whack!  Now this only happens to some of them, and only some of the
time.  If you never turn off your computer, it will never be a problem.  This
also seems to happen less frequently if the drive is in a sidways position.
Before I set it sideways, I often had to whack my machine to get the Wren to
spin up, but the whacking never seemed to hurt anything.  Now I leave my
machine (a Unix box) on all of the time, and never have any trouble.

Apart from the aforementioned problem, I have NEVER had a problem with a Wren,
and I would actually reccomend them.

(Randy Horton)      allegra|
		    hplabs |
		    topaz  |-!pyramid!ranhome!randy
		    decwrl |

--

amr@rti-sel.UUCP (Alan Roberts) (06/02/86)

In article <191@ranhome.UUCP> randy@ranhome.UUCP (Randy Horton) writes:
>[deleted text]
>be very reliable. There does seem to be one small problem that is particular
>to this model however.  It seems that when you turn them off, sometimes the
>head gets stuck to the platter (that is the explanation an engineer gave me).
>When you turn them back on, they do not spin up, unless you give the computer
>a good whack!

This problem is known as "striction," I believe, and is a common problem
with all brands of small hard disks, not just Wrens.  It is more likely
to happen as the drives get older, and is ultimately one of the factors
that limits lifetime of the drive (assuming nothing else kills it first).

As I understand it, when the head(s) on a hard disk land during power-off,
they tend to polish the landing area.  After some time, the landing surface
fits so smoothly against the head that NO air remains between the two
surfaces.  The head then "sticks" to the surface with whatever force the
ambient air pressure exerts.  Its the same effect that makes gauge blocks
stick.  What happens when you next power up depends on the specifics of
the spindle motor and head assembly.  Either it holds the platter and
keeps it from spinning, or the torque developed tears the head off the
flexure!  If its the former, then the "whack" will often dislodge the
two.  You'll know if its the latter, the sound of the loose head bouncing
around will tip you.

This "feature" of hard disks is the counter argument to always parking
the heads over a landing zone and powering off the drive, a policy that
I have heard recommended by most computer sales types.  Always landing
the heads, and in the same place, is probably going to hasten the day
when they stick.  I believe the best policy for your hard disk is to
move the heads over a landing zone (in case of power failure), but leave
the drive up, assuming that your environment is sufficiently cooled and
your power is stable.
--

					Cheers,

					Alan Roberts