[comp.lang.postscript] Postscript figures in troff

lipton@odin.m2c.org (Gary Lipton) (03/28/89)

Sorry if this has been discussed before...

We are using ptroff and pscat to print troff on a Postscript
printer.  I would like to include a Postcript figure in the troff
file.  The problem is that when I do this, pscat tries to typeset
the Postscript source.  I am using the .cf command in troff.
Is there any way to transparently pass the Postscript in the
troff + Postscript file to the final all-Postscript file?  (Note:
we don't have ditroff.)
Gary Lipton - Massachusetts Microelectronics Center    ##   ## 2 #####
lipton@m2c.m2c.org (CSNET) ************************    ### ###  ##
lipton%m2c.org@relay.cs.net (Internet) ************    ## # ##  ##
{harvard,bu-cs,frog,ulowell}!m2c!lipton (UUCP) ****    ##   ##   #####

scowles@lll-lcc.UUCP (Sid Cowles) (03/29/89)

In article <4675@m2c.M2C.ORG> lipton@odin.m2c.org (Gary Lipton) writes:
>...       I would like to include a Postcript figure in the troff
>file.  ...

i am also very interested in this.  could responders please post
their replies?  thanks very much.
sid
s cowles
uucp:      {backbone}!lll-lcc!scowles
internet:  scowles@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

jaap+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jaap Akkerhuis) (03/29/89)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.lang.postscript: 28-Mar-89 Postscript figures in*
> *troff Gary Lipton@odin.m2c.org (729)*
> Is there any way to transparently pass the Postscript in the
> troff + Postscript file to the final all-Postscript file?  (Note:
> we don't have ditroff.)

I'm afraid not. Good old troff had .cf disabled (it didn't make much sense for
the typesetter it was using). The thing you can do is to leave space in troff
output with a tag identifying that this would be filled in later and then insert
the postscript in the file produced by pscat.

Something similar has been done before--I remember a talk at the EUUG conference
in Dublin about this method.

This method is of course very kludgy & error prone. If you have just a couple of
figures it is probably better to leave space (f.i. a boc of the size of the
picture & a id. tag in it) in the output, print the picture separately and use
the good old knife & glue.

        jaap