[comp.lang.postscript] psfig - postscript and Mac figures in troff/TeX

trevor@mit-amt (Trevor Darrell) (03/29/89)

Seeing the recent revival of interest in comp.lang.postscript on
including postscript figures in TeX and troff, I thought I'd post
an update on the availablility of psfig.

Psfig is a preprocessor for troff and a set of macros for TeX that
handles the inclusion of postscript figures; in short it scans the
%%BoundingBox comment of a postscipt file to find the figure size,
creates a nested postscript environment with the appropriate scaling
and translattion needed to image the figure at the desired place, and
then includes the figures's PostScript text using special commands to
the postprocessor. The final document *must* be printed on a
PostScript device; the following postprocessors are known to work with
psfig: psdit (from adobe), dvips (from arbortext), and a version of
dvi2ps hacked by Tony Li at USC.

You can grab the sources to psfig from linc.cis.upenn.edu using
anonymous ftp from the directory ~ftp/dist/psfig/.  tex.tar.Z
has the TeX version, troff.tar.Z the troff version, and dvi2ps.tar.Z
a copy fo Tony Li's dvi2ps.

** Also there is a file lprep68.tar that has a hacked up copy of the
Apple Laserprep version 68 that works with psfig. Use at your own
risk :-) **

Psfig was written several years ago by Ned Batchelder and myself when
we were back at U. Penn; previous versions have been posted to
comp.sources.unix and should be available from the standard
archive sites if anon ftp is not available. There is a paper on
the internals of the troff versions in the Phoenix Usenix proceedings.

--trevor

dwm@fibercom.COM (David W. Minnich) (03/30/89)

In article <3671@mit-amt> trevor@media-lab.media.mit.edu.UUCP (Trevor Darrell) writes:

>Seeing the recent revival of interest in comp.lang.postscript on
>including postscript figures in TeX and troff, I thought I'd post
>an update on the availablility of psfig.
>
>Psfig is a preprocessor for troff and a set of macros for TeX that
>handles the inclusion of postscript figures; in short it scans the
[...]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that psfig worked
with ditroff, but not with standard troff.

--dave

--
David W. Minnich               INTERNET: dwm@fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.                 UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!dwm

kjk@PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (03/31/89)

In article <3671@mit-amt> trevor@media-lab.media.mit.edu.UUCP (Trevor Darrell) writes:

[ stuff deleted ]

>You can grab the sources to psfig from linc.cis.upenn.edu using
>anonymous ftp ...
> ... previous versions have been posted to
>comp.sources.unix and should be available from the standard

Any chance the most recent version could be posted to comp.sources.unix?
Are there any new features in the version on linc.cis.upenn.edu that were
not in the last version posted to c.s.u?  I ask because I cannot ftp.

Thanks,
Ken Keirnan

--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

trevor@mit-amt (Trevor Darrell) (04/01/89)

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that psfig worked
>with ditroff, but not with standard troff.

You're correct psfig relys on certain ditroff-isms (e.g. \X''); sorry
for the mis-information.

--trevor

beck@notecnirp.Princeton.EDU (Stephen Beck) (04/04/89)

In article <3671@mit-amt> trevor@media-lab.media.mit.edu.UUCP (Trevor Darrell) writes:

>The final document *must* be printed on a
>PostScript device; the following postprocessors are known to work with
>psfig: psdit (from adobe), dvips (from arbortext), and a version of
>dvi2ps hacked by Tony Li at USC.

I have done very minor hacks to the dvi2ps-svb (Stephen Bethelheim) version
of psfig.tex so that it works as well.  All that was needed was minor changes
to the psfig.tex macro.

--Stephen Beck
--Department of Computer Science
--Princeton University