[comp.lang.postscript] Small Caps Usage

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (04/05/89)

Does anyone have a set of rules about when something should be set in
"small-caps"?  As I was reading through _Time_ this week, I noticed
small caps being used several times.  However, I couldn't figure out
the method to their madness, because they didn't set every word that
was in all capital letters in small-caps.  Any pointers?  Good
references on the subject?

Thanks.
   Dan
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr

In language, clarity is everything.
              - Confucius

weaver@spdcc.COM (Read Weaver) (04/07/89)

In article <2370@cps3xx.UUCP> smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) writes:
>Does anyone have a set of rules about when something should be set in
>"small-caps"?  As I was reading through _Time_ this week, I noticed
>small caps being used several times.  However, I couldn't figure out
>the method to their madness, because they didn't set every word that
>was in all capital letters in small-caps.  Any pointers?  Good
>references on the subject?

Chicago Manual of Style uses small caps for almost nothing.  (A.M., A.D.,
B.C.E.).  The _New Yorker_ uses small caps for acronyms that are said
as words (CORE) but full caps for acronyms that are said as letters
(HHS).  I dislike full caps in text because they jump out, and so pretty
universally make things small caps.  (I'm not alone in this, but can't
give a reference.)