[comp.lang.postscript] Cassette labeling source

harlan@hardy.NBI.COM (Harlan Olson) (03/24/89)

Does anyone have a postscript program to make labels for cassette
tapes?

Thanks,
Harlan (WD0HTV)
--
Customer Support Training        |       2995 Wilderness Pl.
303/443-9892 x2208               |       Boulder, CO  80301

{alegra,ucbvax,ncar,isieng}!nbires!hardy!harlan (USENET)

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (03/28/89)

In article <514@hardy.NBI.COM>, harlan@hardy (Harlan Olson) writes:

>Does anyone have a postscript program to make labels for cassette
>tapes?

I have one that is used to create the cassette insert whcih you fold and
place in the plastic case (i.e. not a label for the cassette proper).
It even has a Dolby symbol. Written by Tom Smith.

I also have a program to create labels called 'sticky', written by
William Roberts. It handles N by M labels. I believe you can specify
the font, size, and a postscript image.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>

okamoto@hpccc.HP.COM (Jeff Okamoto) (04/12/89)

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) replies:

>In article <514@hardy.NBI.COM>, harlan@hardy (Harlan Olson) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone have a postscript program to make labels for cassette
>>tapes?

>I have one that is used to create the cassette insert...
>I also have a program to create labels called 'sticky'...

On a related topic, does anyone have a program that will print out
labels for video tapes?  I have George Moore's program that prints
out labels for BOXED video tapes, but I'm interested in one that
will print out top and spine labels.  (If there's interest, I'll
post George's program.)

Can anyone help?
--
 \      oo	The New Number Who,
  \____|\mm	Jeff Okamoto

okamoto@hpccc.HP.COM (Jeff Okamoto) (04/12/89)

Since there was a large response, here is the posting.

-----Cut here-----
#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then unpack
# it by saving it into a file and typing "sh file".  To overwrite existing
# files, type "sh file -c".  You can also feed tncli as standard input via
# unshar, or by typing "sh <file", e.g..  If tncli archive is complete, you
# will see the following message at the end:
#		"End of shell archive."
# Contents:  video.box
# Wrapped by okamoto@hpccc on Wed Apr 12 08:07:15 1989
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH
if test -f 'video.box' -a "${1}" != "-c" ; then
  echo shar: Will not clobber existing file \"'video.box'\"
else
echo shar: Extracting \"'video.box'\" \(5991 characters\)
sed "s/^X//" >'video.box' <<'END_OF_FILE'
XFrom georgem@microsoft.UUCP Thu Jan  5 12:13:38 1989
XRelay-Version: version Notes 2.8.2(CCC-ALPHA 88/12/9) 87/11/24; site hpccc.HP.COM
XFrom: georgem@microsoft.UUCP (George Moore)
XDate: Thu, 5 Jan 1989 20:13:38 GMT
XDate-Received: Wed, 11 Jan 1989 19:07:30 GMT
XSubject: Re: VidCassette Labels Wanted
XMessage-ID: <190@microsoft.UUCP>
XOrganization: Microsoft Corp., Redmond WA
XPath: hpccc!hp-ses!hpcuhb!hpda!hpwala!cfisun!ima!spdcc!bloom-beacon!think!ames!mailrus!cornell!uw-beaver!microsoft!georgem
XNewsgroups: rec.video
XReferences: <121100002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
XReply-To: georgem@microsoft.UUCP (George Moore)
XLines: 219
XSummary: PostScript labels
XKeywords:
XIn article <121100002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
X>    Does anyone out there know a source for tractor-fed, self-adhesive labels
X>for videocassettes? Something with the pin holes along the sides so I can
X>use my computer's printer to create some neatly printed labels instead of my
X>usual sloppy hand-written ones?
XI don't think this is *exactly* what you wanted, but I figured other people
Xmay be interested in this, which is why I posted it.  This is a PostScript
Xprogram to generate 6 videotape labels per page on a laser printer.  The
Xlabels are for the plastic protection boxes like you would find at a video
Xstore.  You can buy 'em at Radio Shack for an outragous price, or you can
Xfind a video store that is going out of business and buy a lot for $.10
Xapiece (like I did).
XThe PostScript will print the side and the front of the label, including
Xthe logo, so you can just slip it into the see-through plastic sleeve on
Xthe front of the box.
XRead the comments at the top of the program for more details.
X	-George Moore	(georgem@microsoft.UUCP)
X------------------------------<cut here>------------------------------
X%!
X%	Videotape box labels -- George Moore (georgem@microsoft.UUCP)
X%
X%	This PostScript file will generate the labels for the plastic box
X%	gizmos that you can use to protect your videotapes.  The current
X%	implementation is for Beta, but the size of the sleeves they fit
X%	in are identical to that of a VHS box.  Prints 6 labels per page
X%	for a professional look.
X%
X%	It even does the Beta HiFi and Super Beta HiFi logos.  The
X%	PostScript VHS (oh ick!) logo is left as an exercise for the
X%	reader.
X%
X% Modify the text within the ()'s for different labels.  This prints up
X% the Super Beta HiFi logo by default.  If you want just regular Beta HiFi,
X% modify the bottom of this program to use "Box" rather than "SBox".
X%
X/Name1.1 (Line 1, box 1) def
X/Name1.2 (Line 2, box 1) def
X/Name1.3 (Line 3, box 1) def
X/Name1.4 (Line 4, box 1) def
X/Name2.1 (Predator) def
X/Name2.2 () def
X/Name2.3 () def
X/Name2.4 () def
X/Name3.1 (To Live And Die) def
X/Name3.2 (In L.A.) def
X/Name3.3 () def
X/Name3.4 () def
X/Name4.1 (Innerspace) def
X/Name4.2 () def
X/Name4.3 () def
X/Name4.4 () def
X/Name5.1 (Monty Python) def
X/Name5.2 () def
X/Name5.3 () def
X/Name5.4 () def
X/Name6.1 (Platoon) def
X/Name6.2 () def
X/Name6.3 () def
X/Name6.4 () def
Xinitgraphics
X/inch {72 mul} def
X2 setlinecap
X8.5 inch 0 inch translate
X90 rotate
Xgsave
X.01 setlinewidth
X/bx				% make a box
X {/ury exch def /urx exch def /lly exch def /llx exch def
X  llx lly moveto llx ury lineto urx ury lineto urx lly lineto closepath
X }def
X/Title {
X	/scl exch def
X	/y exch def
X	/x exch def
X	/tary exch def
X	/pts 16 def		% pointsize of the text
X	gsave
X		/Helvetica findfont pts scalefont setfont
X		scl scl scale
X		tary {
X			x y moveto show
X			/y y pts sub def
X		} forall
X	grestore
X} def
X/makeoutlinedict 5 dict def
X/MakeOutlineFont
X	{ makeoutlinedict begin
X	  /strokeweight exch def
X	  /newfontname exch def
X	  /basefontname exch def
X	  /basefontdict basefontname findfont def
X	  /outfontdict basefontdict maxlength 1 add dict def
X	  basefontdict
X		{ exch dup /FID ne
X			{exch outfontdict 3 1 roll put}
X			{pop pop}
X			ifelse
X		} forall
X	  outfontdict /FontName newfontname put
X	  outfontdict /PaintType 2 put
X	  outfontdict /StrokeWidth strokeweight put
X	  newfontname outfontdict definefont pop
X	  end
X	} def
X0 setgray
X/Super-Beta {
X	/scl exch def
X	gsave
X		scl scl scale
X		/Helvetica-Bold findfont [70 0 60 sin 60 cos div 12 mul 70 0 0]
X		makefont setfont
X		(Super) show
X		/Helvetica-Bold findfont 70 scalefont setfont
X		( Beta) show
X		/Helvetica-Bold /Hel-Outline1 1000 80 div MakeOutlineFont
X		/Hel-Outline1 findfont 70 scalefont setfont
X		(hi-fi) show
X	grestore
X} def
X/Beta {
X	/scl exch def
X	gsave
X		scl scl scale
X		/Helvetica-Bold findfont 70 scalefont setfont
X		( Beta) show
X		/Helvetica-Bold /Hel-Outline1 1000 80 div MakeOutlineFont
X		/Hel-Outline1 findfont 70 scalefont setfont
X		(hi-fi) show
X	grestore
X} def
X% Use this to get the regular-beta logo
X/Box {
X	/text exch def
X	gsave
X		gsave
X			0 2.6 inch translate
X			270 rotate
X			0 0 moveto
X			1.9 inch .0625 inch moveto .15 Beta
X			text .0625 inch .8 inch 1 Title
X		grestore
X		text .6 inch 1 inch 2 Title
X		3.9 inch .0625 inch moveto .3 Beta
X		% now draw the box
X		newpath
X		0 0 moveto
X		0 0 5.25 inch 2.6 inch bx stroke
X		[1 1] 0 setdash
X		1.125 inch 0 moveto
X		1.125 inch 2.6 inch lineto stroke
X		[] 0 setdash
X	grestore
X} def
X/SBox {
X	/text exch def
X	gsave
X		gsave
X			0 2.6 inch translate
X			270 rotate
X			0 0 moveto
X			1.5 inch .0625 inch moveto .15 Super-Beta
X			text .0625 inch .8 inch 1 Title
X		grestore
X		text .6 inch 1 inch 2 Title
X		3.1 inch .0665 inch moveto .3 Super-Beta
X		% now draw the box
X		newpath
X		0 0 moveto
X		0 0 5.25 inch 2.6 inch bx stroke
X		[1 1] 0 setdash
X		1.125 inch 0 moveto
X		1.125 inch 2.6 inch lineto stroke
X		[] 0 setdash
X	grestore
X} def
X.2 inch .27 inch translate
X[Name1.1 Name1.2 Name1.3 Name1.4] SBox
X0 2.68 inch translate
X[Name2.1 Name2.2 Name2.3 Name2.4] SBox
X0 2.68 inch translate
X[Name3.1 Name3.2 Name3.3 Name3.4] SBox
X5.33 inch 0 translate
X[Name4.1 Name4.2 Name4.3 Name4.4] SBox
X0 -2.68 inch translate
X[Name5.1 Name5.2 Name5.3 Name5.4] SBox
X0 -2.68 inch translate
X[Name6.1 Name6.2 Name6.3 Name6.4] SBox
Xshowpage
END_OF_FILE
if test 5991 -ne `wc -c <'video.box'`; then
    echo shar: \"'video.box'\" unpacked with wrong size!
fi
# end of 'video.box'
fi
echo shar: End of shell archive.