[comp.lang.postscript] looking for a Postscript converter program

randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) (04/07/89)

HELP! I was given the wrong information about the type of HP
printer that was going to be used with the Personal Composer
Music program on an IBM XT compatible.

The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II. Un-
fortunately the music program outputs files in page format not
in line format.

Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
				    - Randall
Please respond via email.

Randall.Rathbun@SanDiego.NCR.COM     tele: 619-485-2999/2358/3272
NCR E&M - S.D. Dept 2861   16550 W Bernardo Dr.  San Diego  92127

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (04/08/89)

]
]Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
]I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

Looks like you are way off.  Even a Laserjet II cannot print
PostScript without a hardware upgrade.  QMS JetScript is what
you need if you have a LJ II.  For a Deskjet?  Someone else may
be able to help you, not me!

You probably should file for consumer fraud.

Good Luck!

--
.signature under construction ...
{pyramid, osu-cis, uunet, killer}!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (04/10/89)

>Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
>I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

I'm afraid you're out of luck. The Deskjet is not capable of printing
Postscript, and there is no upgrade to make it do so. There also are
no conversion utilities which can take a postscript page and convert
it to anything the Deskjet can read.

There are two possible solutions to your problem. One is to find]
out from your software vendor if this software can output HP PCL
language for the Deskjet. The other is to buy a Postscript printer.
I'd recommend the former, as the latter costs about $5300.

Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA
howeird@hpwrc.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrc!howeird
The views expressed here are not necessarily those of H-P.
Sysop of the Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739
"Nothing can be said so correctly that it cannot be twisted."
                                               - Spinoza

mark@kodak.UUCP (Mark Hilliard) (04/12/89)

In article <2908@daisy.UUCP> cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) writes:
>In article <1226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) writes:
>]The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II.

I do not know what operating system you are using, but YES, you can print
postscript files on the HP Deskjet, in fact, I have been doing it for
for several months.  For you DOS users, there are 2 programs that have
drivers for Deskjet postscript: GOSCRIPT and FREEDOM OF PRESS.  I have
tested both, and found FOP to be a little better, but it costs 2x as
much as GS.  Both programs let you use your host processor to run
a postscript interpiter. There is a postscript processor board from
Everex, called the POST CARD PLUS.  I also have this board intstalled.
It provides 3 to 5 meg of ram, a 12meg 80186 cpu, and the postscript
program.  When installed, it becomes a LPT: port, and works GREAT. I think
that the board costs around 1.7k now, but it drives SEVERAL printers
including the Deskjet.

jimw@guardian.UUCP (Jim Willing) (04/12/89)

In article <1226@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, randall@thor.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Randall Rathbun) writes:
> The printer turned out to be a Deskjet, not a Laserjet II. Un-
> fortunately the music program outputs files in page format not
> in line format.
>
> Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
> I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?

There is a program called 'Go-Script' that runs on PC compatable
systems and is a reasonably good Postscript interpreter.  I run it
with a HP LaserJet II and am quite happy with the results.  I believe
it also has a driver for the Deskjet as well...  Retails for about
$200.00

--
usually found at:   ..tektronix!tessi!bucket!jimw   | Any Vax 750 that is
              or:   .. tessi!bucket!guardian!jimw   | to be thrown out in

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (04/12/89)

In article <980001@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
>>Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
>>I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?
>
>I'm afraid you're out of luck. The Deskjet is not capable of printing
>Postscript, and there is no upgrade to make it do so. There also are
>no conversion utilities which can take a postscript page and convert
>it to anything the Deskjet can read.

It always restores my faith in the free-market system when the
manufacturer of a product says "There is no way you can do _X_ with
this product" when other companies, unaware that the product can't do
_X_, go ahead and come up with a way to do _X_ with the product.

>There are two possible solutions to your problem. One is to find]
>out from your software vendor if this software can output HP PCL
>language for the Deskjet. The other is to buy a Postscript printer.
>I'd recommend the former, as the latter costs about $5300.

There were reviews in an issue of _PC Magazine_ a couple of months
back on several of the PostScript interpreters that outlined the
price/performance tradeoffs for each of them; I recommend that you
look for the issue and read the reviews, which were in the 'First
Looks' section of the magazine.

 Sean Malloy					| "The proton absorbs a photon
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center	| and emits two morons, a
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800			| lepton, a boson, and a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil				| boson's mate. Why did I ever

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (04/13/89)

In article <980001@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
>>Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
>>I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?
>
>I'm afraid you're out of luck. The Deskjet is not capable of printing
>Postscript, and there is no upgrade to make it do so. There also are
>no conversion utilities which can take a postscript page and convert
>it to anything the Deskjet can read.

Sure the Deskjet isn't capable of printing Postscript, just the same as the
vanilla Canon laser printing engine isn't capable of printing Postscript.
What is required is something to read and interpret the Postscript code and
output what the printing device is capable of understanding.  That means
that even old printers could be capable of Postscript, it just would require
CPU time from somewhere, even if it was from your computer.

| Glenn L. Austin             | The nice thing about standards is that      |
| Apple Computer, Inc.        | there are so many of them to choose from.   |
| Internet: austing@apple.com |       -Andrew S. Tanenbaum                  |
| All opinions stated above are mine -- who else would want them?           |

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (04/17/89)

In article <980001@hpwrce.HP.COM> howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) writes:
>>Does anyone have a program, or can point me to a source, whereby
>>I can print out Postscript page files on the HP Deskjet printer?
>
>I'm afraid you're out of luck. The Deskjet is not capable of printing
>Postscript, and there is no upgrade to make it do so. There also are
>no conversion utilities which can take a postscript page and convert
>it to anything the Deskjet can read.

I'm afraid he's not out of luck, there's a program called GoSript which
can convert postscript to any number of different printer languages.
Including the DeskJet. It's slow, really slow (can take as long as 45
minutes to do a page) but at $195US it's a lot cheaper than a postscript
printer.

	Laser Go
	9235 Trade Place
	Suite A
	San Diego, CA 92126

	(619)-530-2400

--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP