[net.micro] Using 220V, 50 Hz AC?

alford@ecsvax.UUCP (Ross Alford) (06/01/86)

I have some questions about using devices intended for 115 volt,
60 Hz AC in countries that have 220V, 50 Hz AC supplies.  First
of all, do the 'travel converter' type devices (eg Franzus) work
with electronic gear if the wattage ratings are compatible?  Is
there any reason to go the apparently more expensive route of
buying larger and heavier step-down transformers?  Second, and
importantly, can devices not explicitly labelled as operating at
either 50 0r 60 Hz be safely run at 50?  This includes things like
AC adapters for small electronic devices, NiCd battery chargers,
and, of course, video monitors.  Do monitors use the 60Hz AC for
any sort of synchronization?  All the monitors I have are just
labelled 115v, 60 Hz.  Will they work at 50?  Switching power supplies
(EG Apple and Kaypro)?  Any light that anyone can shed on these
questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ross Alford
   ...mcnc!ecsvax!alford

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (06/02/86)

In article <1639@ecsvax.UUCP> alford@ecsvax.UUCP (Ross Alford) writes:
>I have some questions about using devices intended for 115 volt,
>60 Hz AC in countries that have 220V, 50 Hz AC supplies.  First
>of all, do the 'travel converter' type devices (eg Franzus) work
>with electronic gear if the wattage ratings are compatible?

I have never looked inside one of those travel converters but I have
heard that some, at least, generate "dirty" power (presumably due to
their being based on a half-wave rectifier or something) and should not
be used with "sensitive" electronic equipment, whatever that is.
Transformers are heavier and all that, but they aren't all _that_
expensive.  I think I'd go that route for simple peace of mind.

>Second, and importantly, can devices not explicitly labelled as
>operating at either 50 0r 60 Hz be safely run at 50?

For almost everything the answer seems to be "yes."  50 Hz is close
enough to 60 that power supplies just don't care.  I have heard that
some video monitors derive certain frequencies from the line, but
everyone I have talked to who has actually tried it assures me monitors
run just fine on 50 Hz, 110 volts, no matter how they're marked.

Useless aside:  50 Hz makes movies run faster on tv in Europe.  To match
the PAL and SECAM scan rates, they're shown at 25 frames per second
versus 24.  That's a difference of about 2.5 minutes per hour.
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

david@ztivax.UUCP (06/04/86)

 I have a Compaq Deskpro with monitor, floppy, tape, and winchester.
Also, a HP pen plotter, and a stereo CD player.  All were purchased
in California and shipped to Europe.  All work using 110v to 220v
adapters.  No problems at all.

Even Hayes modems and all the modem software I have tried works,
except at 300 baud where they seem to use a different standard in
Europe.