[comp.lang.postscript] TCP/IP versus OSI

pete@relay.nixctc.de (Pete Delaney) (04/15/89)

Come on guys, where is the Followup to Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo's
paper " Round 2 in the great TCP/IP versus OSI Debate".  I expected
a bit more than everyone being quite.  Is Darth Vader watching or
something?  I've been working on OSI for a few years and it seems
that most of what Joachin is presenting is right.  I'm a little
disapointed in explanations about why this obsurdity has developed
the way it has.  I am sure a lot of developers love OSI over arpanet,
I'd like to here their story. Also, it might be nice to hear why
arpnet is migrating to OSI; do the arpa developers really like ASN1
more than postscript?  I found programing in ASN1 with the NBS meta
compiler very time consuming.  What about using postscript instead of
ASN1 for network management and Manufactoring Messageing? Is it really
that important to check, cross-check, and then tripple-check as
is done in OSI and ASN1.  Can't we just assume like Joachim points out
that the connection above transport is reliable and then send programs
like postscript to due what we want?

Pete Delaney - Nixdorf UCC	| pete@relay.NIXCTC.DE		Prefered Addr
Loffel Strasse 3		| pyramid!nixctc!pete		UUCP from Calf
7000 Stuttgart 70
West Germany			| Phone: +49 (711) 7685-128

sylvain@roxy.chorus.fr (Sylvain Langlois) (04/20/89)

In "TCP/IP versus OSI" (<1042@nixctc.DE>), pete@relay.nixctc.de (Pete
Delaney) writes:

>[..]. Also, it might be nice to hear why
>arpnet is migrating to OSI;
Arpanet has to move to *real* international standards someday, even if
the protocol suite it uses today has shown it was far more superior to
the currently available implementations. Bringing OSI implementations
up to TCP/IP and known applications today's quality is, to my own
advice, a question of time. People working on the ISODE (Marshall
Rose, Steve Kille and co.) are doing a wonderful job in this way. Once
4.4BSD OSI support will be available, I guess people will be more
motivated than they are today.

>[...] do the arpa developers really like ASN1
>more than postscript?
PostScript has nothing to do here.

> Can't we just assume like Joachim points out
>that the connection above transport is reliable
The problem seems to me that reliability has different meannings,
depanding on the context the Transport Service is used.

Sylvain

Sylvain Langlois		  "Dogmatic attachement to the supposed merits
(sylvain@chorus.fr)		   of a particular structure hinders the search
(sylvain%chorus.fr%uunet.uu.net)   of an appropriate structure" (Robert Fripp)