[comp.lang.postscript] Program to print postscript on Lase

sklein@cdp.UUCP (04/16/89)

If there was a program to print PostScript files on the HP LaserJet II,
people wouldn't be spending $3,000 (and up) for PostScript compatible
printers.  It isn't impossible, it just hasn't been done yet.

But this makes me think... Why couldn't the postscript interpreter that
runs on 68000-based printers (a la Apple's Laserwriter series) be ported
to a 68000-based computer (Macintosh)?  It would be slow, but someone with
a Mac Plus could do PostScript imaging in the machine, the bit-blast the
image out to a dumb printer.

Since no one is doing this, I must be missing something.  What?
-shabtai klein

UUCP:  uunet!pyramid!cdp!sklein   |  BitNet: cdp!sklein%labrea@stanford
Internet:  cdp!sklein@arisia.xerox.com   |  Phone: (301) 270-2250
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
 bite you.  This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
                     -- Mark Twain

cplai@daisy.UUCP (Chung-Pang Lai) (04/18/89)

In article <134400001@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
]
]If there was a program to print PostScript files on the HP LaserJet II,
]people wouldn't be spending $3,000 (and up) for PostScript compatible
]printers.  It isn't impossible, it just hasn't been done yet.

You want to save that $3000.  But Adobe want to earn your $3000.  It isn't
impossible, it is not done just for marketing reason.

PostScript Clone vendor will do what you want but not from Adobe.

]But this makes me think... Why couldn't the postscript interpreter that
]runs on 68000-based printers (a la Apple's Laserwriter series) be ported
]to a 68000-based computer (Macintosh)?  It would be slow, but someone with
]a Mac Plus could do PostScript imaging in the machine, the bit-blast the
]image out to a dumb printer.

Adobe releases the PostScript interpretor in a 8(?) chips ROM set.  They
just don't let you copy the interpretor from machine to machine.  It is
the way how they protect their investment.

]Since no one is doing this, I must be missing something.  What?

Your idea is done on the NeXT machine.  The PostScript interpretor is used
to drive the display and a dumb printer.  The missing thing is money.

--
.signature under construction ...
{pyramid, osu-cis, uunet, killer}!daisy!cplai    C.P. Lai

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (04/21/89)

In article <134400001@cdp> sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:
]
]If there was a program to print PostScript files on the HP LaserJet II,
]people wouldn't be spending $3,000 (and up) for PostScript compatible
]printers.  It isn't impossible, it just hasn't been done yet.

Kinda makes me wonder if anyone actually reads the thinks we put up here.
There is such a program, there has been for some time, it was one of the
first things discussed when this group was new and it's come up several times
since, it's called GoScript (not to be confused with GhostScript, the GNU
postscript clone). It's advertised in most of the big PC oriented magazines.

So why spend $3000 on a postscript printer, well first off, GoScript is
slooow, it can take as long as 45 minutes to do a single page, during which
time your PC is tied up, secondly of course it's useless on any other platform
than MS-DOS PC's.

--
Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
Until the next maps go out:	moegate!soley@ontenv.UUCP

iadt2tg@prism.gatech.EDU (Terry O. Greenlaw) (04/25/89)

In article <134400001@cdp>, sklein@cdp.UUCP writes:

> If there was a program to print PostScript files on the HP LaserJet II,
> people wouldn't be spending $3,000 (and up) for PostScript compatible
> printers.  It isn't impossible, it just hasn't been done yet.
>
> But this makes me think... Why couldn't the postscript interpreter that
> runs on 68000-based printers (a la Apple's Laserwriter series) be ported
> to a 68000-based computer (Macintosh)?  It would be slow, but someone with
> a Mac Plus could do PostScript imaging in the machine, the bit-blast the
> image out to a dumb printer.
>
> Since no one is doing this, I must be missing something.  What?
> -shabtai klein

 Actually, it has already been implemented on a 68000 machine. Atari Corp.
sells a program called UltraScript that is a PostScript interpreter for their
CPU-less laser printer. Adobe, according to Atari sources, is marketing the
program for printers besides Atari's. Retail price for UltraScript is between
200.00 and 300.00 US.
  As an aside, if you had to have Mac compatability, you could purchase the
Mac Plus emulator "Spectre GCR" from Gadgets by Small for use with the ST,
and convert the files from Mac format to ST format before printing. It runs
at a full 8Mhz, as opposed to 7.something, has a 640x400 monochrome display,
and costs around 300.00.

  I am in no way associated with either Atari, Adobe or GBS, but maybe if they
asked my nicely ;-)

--
Terry O. Greenlaw @ Information Systems & Applications @ Georgia Tech
uucp: ...!{The World}!gatech!prism!iadt2tg    ARPA: iadt2tg@prism.gatech.edu

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (04/26/89)

In article <553@hydra.gatech.EDU> iadt2tg@prism.gatech.EDU (Terry O. Greenlaw) writes:

> Actually, it has already been implemented on a 68000 machine. Atari Corp.
>sells a program called UltraScript that is a PostScript interpreter for their
>CPU-less laser printer. Adobe, according to Atari sources, is marketing the
>program for printers besides Atari's. Retail price for UltraScript is between
>200.00 and 300.00 US.

Just for the record, Adobe has nothing to do with this product.  I
believe that UltraScript is a name used by Imagen/QMS, if I'm not
mistaken.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

mark@imagen.UUCP (Mark Peek) (04/26/89)

In article <553@hydra.gatech.EDU>, iadt2tg@prism.gatech.EDU (Terry O. Greenlaw) writes:
>  Actually, it has already been implemented on a 68000 machine. Atari Corp.
> sells a program called UltraScript that is a PostScript interpreter for their
> CPU-less laser printer. Adobe, according to Atari sources, is marketing the
> program for printers besides Atari's. Retail price for UltraScript is between
> 200.00 and 300.00 US.

UltraScript(tm) is a trademark of QMS/IMAGEN. PostScript(r) is a registered
trademark of Adobe Systems, Inc.

I know that IMAGEN (really Laser Connection which is another one of QMS's
subsidiaries) is selling UltraScript PC and UltraScript ST that run
on AT compatibles and Atari processors (respectively). Atari is selling a
version of UltraScript ST that outputs to their SLM 804 Laser Printer.
Someone from Atari or Adobe would have to comment on any (if at all) business
ventures between those two companies.

----

Name:	Mark Peek
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway, P.O. Box 58101
        Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
AT&T:	(408) 986-9400
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!mark

iadt2tg@prism.gatech.EDU (Terry O. Greenlaw) (04/26/89)

>In article <553@hydra.gatech.EDU>, iadt2tg@prism.gatech.EDU (Terry O. Greenlaw) writes:
>>  Actually, it has already been implemented on a 68000 machine. Atari Corp.
>> sells a program called UltraScript that is a PostScript interpreter for their
>> CPU-less laser printer. Adobe, according to Atari sources, is marketing the
>> program for printers besides Atari's. Retail price for UltraScript is between
>> 200.00 and 300.00 US.
>
>UltraScript(tm) is a trademark of QMS/IMAGEN. PostScript(r) is a registered
>trademark of Adobe Systems, Inc.

  Oops, sorry about that one. I had spent all that day working out of the
PostScript reference manual and had a bad case of Adobe-on-the-Brain. The
correct corp. is of course Imagen.