[net.micro] DOS 5.0 & PC Week

steve@wolf.UUCP (Steve Harrison) (05/21/86)

I cannot sit back and listen to the things one computer magazine
is saying about a large computer company in the US and it's wonderful
new technological breakthrough in O/S's without making a comment.

PC-Week has hit new limits (depths that is) in managing to talk the
public into believing in a large Blue God!  I am sure this article will
draw some comments by anyone who read the front page story of PC-Week
May 20, 1986.  I think it is time that someone say something and I welcome
all comments from the net.  I intend on summarizing all and sending a letter
off to the editors!

Throughout this article, written by Garry Ray, he talks of the new operating
system which IBM is planning to release, in MARCH 1987!, and how IBM has
been presenting it to developers and software houses in technical seminars.
"Sources" claim that the new operating system will split the IBM PC product
line.  Does this sound familiar to any of you!

Garry even states at one point, and I quote, "To speed processing of multiple
applications, and to conserve system memory, the operating system will be able
to allocate and deallocate regions of memory based on a least recently used
algorithm.  For example, should memory be needed by an application, the
operating system could send a program segment to disk, subsequently reloading
it to memory when needed again".  If this doesn't sound like an operating
system that has been in use for years (say 15!) I must have been on
another world these last 20 years!  Even micros have had capability now for
over three years!

It is time for PC Users to begin to awaken and see the light at the end of the
tunnel.  The operating system that I keep hearing that "power" PC users
want is already there when will someone (maybe AT&T) start informing them
of this?  An operating system due to be released in March 1987 is a rather
ludicrous pie in the sky to wait for when something is already there.

Shame on PC Week for such one sided reporting.  I am beginning to wonder
what type of journalism is practiced there.

To Garry Ray I say, this has been posted from a PC/AT running SCO
XENIX System V that routinely supports (say 6 hours a day) 2 dial-in
busers and 2 uucp connections.  It can be done now!

AT&T has even moved on to a better scheme that what IBM is proposing for its
"new" DOS.

Steven Harrison
Systems'n'Software

ihnp4!jack!man!wolf!steve

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (05/22/86)

The interesting sentence in this article was the part about
"whose internal processes resemble those in Microsoft Windows."

I don't know as much as I'd like, but that sounds like they
are doing a message-based system, or at least using a metaphor
to that effect.  That doesn't sound too much like un+x.  I
didn't see in the article that the new DOS was being supplied
by Microsoft, or particularly, non-proprietary.

They also seem to imply that the DOS has "dynamic linking."
Other whiz-bang features described at the end of the article
"sound real neat."

So is this all MS-DOS I.J?  or what.

mikeb@tekfdi.UUCP (Mike Boyce) (05/26/86)

In article <123@wolf.UUCP>, steve@wolf.UUCP (Steve Harrison) writes:
> I cannot sit back and listen to the things one computer magazine
> is saying about a large computer company in the US and it's wonderful
> new technological breakthrough in O/S's without making a comment.
>
> PC-Week has hit new limits (depths that is) in managing to talk the
> public into believing in a large Blue God!

Always remember when reading these rags what their purpose is and who they
make thier money from. One glance at these types of publications will tell.
Yes, you guessed it, ADVERTISING. They don't worship Big Blue or Death Star.
They are not trying to aid their readership (oh, maybe once in while to keep
good standing). They are trying to make money. The people who make the
products are trying to make money. And they've got millions of schmucks
out there, (Yeah I'm one too), slobbering over new products and prices.

I had a logic class in school once where the instructor had us dissect
some of these ads. If you go through the article you will most likely
find nothing untrue. But you won't find much in the way of facts either.
You will find alot of hype. ITS NOT WHAT THEY SAY ITS WHAT THEY DONT SAY.

We all have to read these rags to stay in touch with whats happening. Just
remember that its an ad. Watch out for for hype. And every time someone
uses an ad as fact, point out the error. If they persist go get the article
and a highliter and find the facts (rigorously, no half facts please).
Sometimes you can find some really amazing misinfo. Try it.

						Mike Boyce

DISCLAMOR: These views are mine and not those of my employer. I am not
	saying that PC WEEK or any other publication is doing anything
	illegal or immoral. Advertising is an American Institution and
	I will defend anyones right to freedom of speech. I will also
	defend anyones right to not believe a damn word of it.
			     Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk
?###################################################################@_0&&&&&
Hackers of the world unite. You have nothing to lose but you ball and chain.

jso@edison.UUCP (John Owens) (06/04/86)

> The interesting sentence in this article was the part about
> "whose internal processes resemble those in Microsoft Windows."
>
> So is this all MS-DOS I.J?  or what.

Yes, indeed, this is MS-DOS 5.0.  I don't know if MS is supplying it
to others *yet*....

[Note the earlier PC Week article about MS-DOS 4.0 (multitasking, no
 protected mode), that most american vendors decided to skip, waiting
 for 5.0.  This is it.]

	John Owens
	edison!jso%virginia@CSNet-Relay.ARPA		[old arpa]
	edison!jso@virginia.EDU				[w/ nameservers]
	jso@edison.UUCP					[w/ uucp domains]
	{cbosgd allegra ncsu xanth}!uvacs!edison!jso	[roll your own]